Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Slides won't open

My 2002 Minnie Winnie 430V slides have stopped functioning. This morning I pulled them in and drove about 300 miles to home. I set the brake and pushed the wall switch for rear bed slide. It groaned and very slowly moved about 3 inches out then quit. It will not retract. I checked brake set again and tried living room slide. Nothing. Noticed awning was not tight and hit button and it will not retract. Only goes out. I looked at circuit breakers in cargo bay and it does appear circuit breaker slide button is slightly out and will not reset. Any thoughts? Thanks
sixkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like your house batteries are dead. Try running the slides in and out with your engine running.

If it works with the engine running, you need to look into the batteries, age, water level, whether or not they are being charge by engine or your converter.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

I would try plugging into electricity, I guess it just depends on the Model/Brand ect, our slides won't work if the engine is running as a safety feature.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

This morning I went thru the progressions. Checked fluid level, jiggled parking brake relay, I have new coach batteries, cleaned chassis battery post, looked for leaks [which I have had from day of purchase, nothing major], tried system. The front slide went out at a creep and I pulled it back in quickly. Retracted rear slide[it was hung out from yesterday]. Retracted awning. After that all I get is the clunk of the relay adjacent to coach battery box. The unit has 2 pumps, one slides, one levelers. Hydraulic levelers are fine. Circuit breaker will not reset.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
sixkilo....it doesn't matter if your batteries are new, they may still be dead because they didn't charge for any number of reasons. Start your generator or plug in and see what happens. You're wasting your time until you try with 110 volts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Yeah, best to verify your alternate sources of power as advised to see if it is a weak battery or connection. You can try with shore power and then try with your engine running. Great time to have a multimeter and know how to use it.

Of the top warranty fixes, slides are number two...not that such info helps.

I think luvlabs is a great first step or Mike or Dutch Star Don's advice before you do anything else since you are home.

Interesting safety feature Mike. Is there an override? If you were out boon docking and the batteries were not strong enough, it would be nice to be able to use the engine and starter battery as an alternate source of power to pull in the slides so you could get underway (backup power). I have heard about the slides moving outward while the rig was moving so I understand the safety feature. Would not that safety feature also disconnect the battery power to the slides when underway as well??? Something interesting to explore...another electronic switch?
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Went to shore power, nothing. Same with engine running. Coach shows full charge as well. I drove over some rough roads in SC and am beginning to suspect loose connection. Circuit breaker still doesn't reset.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #8

Voltage measurements???

Stop playing with it and get a meter and check voltages at breaker relay and pump.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #9

On my rig, there is an interlock that prevents moving the slide-out while the engine is running. It only took me three years to figure that out. It is a logical safety feature if you think about it.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

Chassis battery reads 12.6. Coach reads 13.8. Will get other read outs when I exchange multimeters. Leads too short.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkilo View Post
Chassis battery reads 12.6. Coach reads 13.8. Will get other read outs when I exchange multimeters. Leads too short.
If those readings were taken when the MH engine was running, your chassis batteries are not charging.
A fully-charged battery reads 12.6V+, at rest (at least 1 hr after being charged). When receiving a charge the battery reading will be 13.6 or higher.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #12

Suspect engine off and converter running with proper voltage.

12.6 is full charge chassis battery and 13.6 is coach battery on float.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #13

It was an at rest test. The same for coach. Ironically while I was under the coach listening to hear if the pump solenoid was activating while DW pushed the switch, the front slide starting moving. The rear would not even make a sound while being pushed yet briefly set the pump off on it's own and then quit. A real box of chocolates.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

We lost one of our cats this morning. He died without showing symptoms of any sort. Most of the day was dealing with that. Anyway I was able to check the wiring diagrams and then physically trace the hot wires back to coach not chassis batteries. I then checked em brake switch, seemed fine. I then pushed living slide switch and got a response but did not run all the way out. Went to rear and got solenoid for retract to respond. I am thinking either relay under circuit breaker or pump relay. Obviously the circuit breaker is not tripped or nothing would respond.

Tags
slide