Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While on a recent trip I attempted to open my slidout while on a small sidehill the bottom of the slide moved but the top seemed stuck so I shook the slide from the inside and it jumped and started to slide after about 1 ft the gears started to miss so I stopped and retracted the slide the next time I attempted to open the slide the slide would move then stop and I could hear a sound like the gears where not engaging but if I shook the slide the gears would reengage and the slide would move that evening I looked around at all the components that I could visably see and could not see anything that looked out of place and the slide is even in the wall but will not retract unless I manually retract it Is there an allingment to the gear box in the center rail or am I going to have to find a dealer to help me out

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While on a recent trip I attempted to open my slidout while on a small sidehill the bottom of the slide moved but the top seemed stuck so I shook the slide from the inside and it jumped and started to slide after about 1 ft the gears started to miss so I stopped and retracted the slide the next time I attempted to open the slide the slide would move then stop and I could hear a sound like the gears where not engaging but if I shook the slide the gears would reengage and the slide would move that evening I looked around at all the components that I could visably see and could not see anything that looked out of place and the slide is even in the wall but will not retract unless I manually retract it Is there an allingment to the gear box in the center rail or am I going to have to find a dealer to help me out

Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what info you submitted, it sounds like the gearbox for the motor that moves the slide is at fault.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the battery voltage is low or the mechanism reaches it's limit, the clutch in the gear box will slip and sounds like gears are slipping on each other. Make sure the voltage in the battery bank is fully up. You may even want to start the generator or be plugged in when operating the slideouts.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not to start a huge debate but my Dolphin uses a pair of stops located and mounted on the rack and pinion nearest the driver (on the lounge slide). When the slide hits the stops the motor senses the extra load of the slide hitting the stops and turns off. I have first hand experiance with this type of mechanism as I just spent a few hours under the coach adjusting the slide to open properly. I'm still guessing a gearbox / transmission issue wuth his slide.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading your post again I think we both agree but just used different words to get to the same place. Sorry for being a butthead.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Wizard
Thanks for your reply I did not mention that I had the rig plugged in at home so do not think that is the problem. The gearbox you mention is that accessable to me and can it just be realingned or does it have to be replaced is this a problem that only a dealer can fix or can I do it myself with a little knowledge thanks Medic 318
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mentioneed a small sidehill. How much off level were you? Could that have contributed to the problem or is this the normal place you park?

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the coach was on a downhill slope with the slide going uphill as I stated in my original post the slide bottom moved about 3-5 inches and the top stayed put I then shook the top of the slide and the whole slide started to move with a shudder and shake as I shook the top of the slide since then if I shake the slide it will occaisionally move but then the gears start to miss and somtimes I can hear the gears are not engaging at all I need to know if there is an alignment that I can make or do I have to take it to a dealer
Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">downhill slope with the slide going uphill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.
?? The coach facing down hill but the slide facing uphill? Stupid question but is your slide facing out the rear???
I think the short answer is that you most likely shouldn't use your slides unless your rig is level or close to it. when I bought ours the service guy that walked us through our motorhome was very clear about that. Have you leveled the rig and tried using the slide?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rick 2005
My mistake the coach was acually on a sideslope and did not seem all that unlevel as I think back the slidout always seemed to stick at the top as if the seal was sticking as to you other question yes I did level it up plug it in and all the other suggestions and I know I should have levelled it up and been more cautios but that is history and now I need to know how to fix it
Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2005 the motors for the slides are accessable in the outside storage compartments. My slides are moved by two rack and pinions and a common "driveshaft". The motor and gearbox are plainly visable and are about centered between the two racks. It might be helpful if you have someone inside the coach try to open or close the slide while you listed outside to hear where the noise might be coming from. That should give you a pretty good indication of what to do next. I hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine just started doing the same thing while up in Lodi last week. I took no chances and manually put it back in. Turns out it is the gear box. On your Dolphin is the kitchen and couch on the same slide? Mine is and I just found out that after continuous use (I use it a lot) the gear box gives out. It's just a wear problem those of us with heavy slides need to be aware of.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yosemitebob