Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Slobber tube

I am not familiar with this thing but am assuming it is crankcase vent. Do any DP engines use PCV system or are all vented to atmosphere? Why do some here lengthen them and to what benefit? Do any diesel engines use EGR valves? I had a 06 GMC Duramax that had both PCV and EGR. Blocked the PCV and vented it to atmosphere and never saw a drop of oil from it in 35k miles.

jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Only older engines are vented, EPA regulations don't allow this anymore. The slobber tube emits a fine mist of oil and this can clog the rear radiators on some motor homes, hence why some owners extend the tube to almost ground level so the mist passes under the radiator. I have fitted my tube with a plastic bottle so that the oil mist is captured.

John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We tried the "lengthening" fix, it didn't (fix).
Due to vortex the rear of the motorhome and the toad were covered!!!!
There are several discussions concerning the making of a "catch jar".....
which we did and it works well.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We tried the "lengthening" fix, it didn't (fix).
Due to vortex the rear of the motorhome and the toad were covered!!!!
There are several discussions concerning the making of a "catch jar".....
which we did and it works well.
For the "lenghtening fix" to work the "slobber/breather" tube extension tip must exit just below the exhaust pipe. The positive pressure created by the exhaust pushes the vented oil mist/moisture to the ground. If this is not done the "vortex", as you have mentioned, distributes the breather discharge on the rear of the bus and TOAD.

The other remedy you have mentioned is usually a plastic peanut butter jar and lid. A whole, which matches the OD size of the slobber tube, is drilled in the cap center along with four 1/2" holes surrounding the middle hole. The cap is slipped onto the slobber tube and a hose clamp is applied to the tube which keeps the lid in place. The plastic jar can be filled with steel wool or several 'beer coasters" which capture all of the oil residue.

Had I known of the "catch jar" I would taken that route. It would have been a breeze to make and install.

I'll get to test out my present ST extension with a 1100 mile trip to Fl.
If it works it stays! If not I go the route of the peanut butter jar

Here's some pics of my current ST extension.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0130.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	160.3 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0139.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	5577   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0131.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	5578  

2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery 37U 330HP Cat
Toad-2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
I fixed mine by inserting a piece of garden water hose up inside the metal vent tube and tied it to the frame to help keep it in position. It extends well below the frame. I discovered this problem the hard way. Last year while going over the mountains between Yuma, AZ and San Diego, my 2000 Journey 34B over heated. When I got parked later that day, I inspected my radiator and it was about 85% or more clogged with oily dirt and crud which had the cooling fins blocked. I sprayed the entire cooling fin area with a degreaser solvent, let it set for a while then took a water hose and sprayed water thru the rear of the radiator and watched as tons of the black stuff fell to the ground. I repeated applications of solvent and high water spray until there was no crud left stuck in the fins. It would be good if you could use a high pressure sprayer, or go to a car wash and use the hot water sprayer there.
I have no further crud accumulation on my radiator now.
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
I only understood the Slobber tube because I was looking at the oil pan on my 2002 Revolution and saw oil. Then it hit me and YEP! the so called slobber tube was way to short and ended just above the top of the oil pan. THANKS for this info.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I guess I'm the lucky one. I have not had this problem with mine. We bought our Bounder DP new. Had the oil dipstick calibrated by a Cat dealer in Odessa, TX. for the 19 qt. oil pan. So far no problems with the radiator getting clogged up. It has been 8 years since this was done.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Most Diesel engines in motorhomes built before Jan 1, 2010 have a slobber tube. As other's have stated, it vents the crankcase fumes into the atmosphere.

Those built after this date use some sort of recirculating of the fumes into the engine (PCV) and are no longer externally vented to the atmosphere due to the new EPA emissions regulations. Therefore, no more slobber tubes.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Being in a marine R/V (boat) for soooooo long we to had the same problem. Except we couldn't just put a longer tube to reach closer to the ground. Most of our engines were below the water level, so we would get a fine mist of oil through the engine room. We would install an after market crankcase ventilation unit, that would re burn the captured oil. They are avail able through West Marine and I'll bet a good auto Parts store could get one.

Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote