Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Small awning holes that drip!

Hi
Forgive me for asking about awning repair when there are other threads but I have a different problem than most. My awning drips from the underside when it rains hard. At first I thought it came through where the fabric meets the channel but then I saw several tiny holes where my *&$##% neighbor's overgrown hedge scrapes against the awning. They are 2-3 inches from the top and they are only perhaps the size of a pencil tip. 1/8 inch perhaps. I want to fill or patch the holes but I'd rather not put something obvious on the top because it is the part that shows when rolled up. We replaced it a few years ago and it still looks good. I have 2 questions then:

1- Has anyone filled or patched little holes successfully? What about silicone in the hole and sail tape underneath? Sneaker goo?

2- If it is coming in along the place where the fabric meets the channel what then? Does this happen?

I am tired of getting dripped on under my own awning! We move this way and that. We move away from the RV a bit but it runs down and drips lower too! Arrrrgggghhhh!
Thanks
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vinyl awning or woven acrylic fiber? Vinyl can be patches with a special vinyl cement or most any clear sealer. Acrylic could be patched that way too, if used sparingly. Something that dries fairly quickly, since you obviously don't want to roll it up while the sealer is still sticky.

There are also clear sealer tapes that can be used (primarily for larger tears).

Carefree sells a product for plugging small holes, but I think you can use most any flexible sealer. Loctite makes a couple that should work and are available at Walmarts and home stores. Loctite Stik 'n Seal Outdoors or Stik 'n Seal Extreme should do fine.

Contact Adhesives from Loctite Products | Loctite Adhesives

The Carefree product is:
Carefree Of Colorado 901033 Vinyl Liquid Patch Awning Repair | MFG# 901033 | CARE-901033 | Free Shipping On Other RV Awning Parts And Accessories At HannaRV.com | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Shurtape P665 will do the trick.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Repair tape solved my problem where I scraped a sign. Should work for you.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Don't forget to have your neighbor trim his $%^&$# bush to prevent further damage.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Don't know about FL, but here and the other states I've lived in I could cut the hedge back to the property line, even if the neighbor does not want me to.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

Same here in TN, but normally them to do it first. Of course I am lucky enough to have very good neighbors.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Don't know about FL, but here and the other states I've lived in I could cut the hedge back to the property line, even if the neighbor does not want me to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWEAK View Post
Same here in TN, but normally them to do it first. Of course I am lucky enough to have very good neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWEAK View Post
Don't forget to have your neighbor trim his $%^&$# bush to prevent further damage.
Yes. Problem is that the %#@@&! neighbor won't and yes I did. Not easy with hand tools on a 15' overgrown mess that is 50' long. It is on the property line/driveway edge. Good story though. Old neighbor kept it perfect! His wife divorced him. The judge gave her everything. Turned out she was sleeping with said Ms. Judge and they moved in together. She sold it to a developer and it is now waiting to become part of a complex. It's South Florida.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

I'd "fertilize" that hedge with a good dose of Mortons pellets. The hedge will be gone in 6 months.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I'd "fertilize" that hedge with a good dose of Mortons pellets. The hedge will be gone in 6 months.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

You could also try this:
Mix in one gallon sprayer,
1QT vinegar
1cup salt (any kind)
mix until salt gone.
1cup dish soap (any kind)
fill with water, let stand over night
Next day spray bushes. Be careful anything that is green that this gets on will die.
Bushes should be dead or dying in about 10 days.
I use this for weed control. Works in 2 days on weeds.
Before you do this check on legality, if bushes are on property line, don't know in FL how that works.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Something to try is a good "seam sealant" for tents. Should be available at any outdoors shop.

Tags
awning