Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Small hole in fiberglass roof

I noticed yesterday that there is a small tear in the fiberglass roof on the passenger side of the RV, probably from a tree branch. There appears to be an extruded aluminum strip behind the tear so it isn't well supported like it would be if it were on top.

Should I just put calk over it or should I put some tape on it first an then calk it?

The hole is about the size of a penny.

Ant recommendations? I have almost a week before rain is forcasted so I am not in a panic yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is there anything behind the hole for caulk to adhere to or is it just a hole?

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If it's a true hole in the fiberglass, you could fold a piece of cardboard or card stock and slip it in the hole and pull it up into some glue to hold it in place. Then with some fiberglass cloth and resin, you could patch over the hole. Build up a couple of layers and then when it hardens sand it back flush with the original roof. Then you'll have to paint or apply gelcoat to seal the patch. A boat yard or body shop could do the job for you and you wouldn't have to mess with the resin, glass and gelcoat.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You don't need to put anything behind it. Just get a fiberglass repair kit and place 3-4 layers over it. Extend the edges of the fiber at least two inches past the edge of the hole.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You don't need to put anything behind it. Just get a fiberglass repair kit and place 3-4 layers over it. Extend the edges of the fiber at least two inches past the edge of the hole.
I'd start with a piece of cloth saturated with epoxy under the hole first. Then you can worry about on top and fairing it out.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #6

It is really a teardrop shape rear and the fiberglass is still there. I could put a little calk behind it, then cover it in more calk to seal it. There is no gel coat, it's closer to a fabric material.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #7

i don't think I can get behind it without the risk of causing more damage.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Another option is Eternabond tape. I would do this before trying to seal with caulk.
Fiberglass patch would be best but Eternabond will be almost as good for a repair.

Steve
Old 05-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

I am going to try the Eternabond tape. I just went through the data sheet and it appears to be the reasonable solution. I am concerned that putting epoxy soaked fabric over the tear is going to change the characteristics of the roof at that point. There are a couple of other spots on the roof that it may help with also.

Amazon to the rescue.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
My suggestions were for a fiberglass roof. What you are describing doesn't sound like fiberglass but perhaps EPDM rubber. Fiberglass doesn't usually tear, it fractures and cracks. Eternabond is a very good product, available in various widths. Be sure to clean the roof in the area with acetone to make sure it adheres well.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #11

2002, 34' Fleetwood Expedition has a fiberglass roof per online owners manual. I would fill the hole with quick-setting resin, then Eternabond over that. You might get some ideas from the Eternabond video library.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #12

The roof is a very thin fabric that appears to be related to fiberglass. I was told by the place we bought it that it was fiberglass and all the documentation says it is fiberglass. It is not a typical gel coated roof except for the end caps.

This is all new territory for me. I know a lot more about aluminum shell campers, silver Twinkie type, particularly older ones.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Another option is Eternabond tape. I would do this before trying to seal with caulk.
Fiberglass patch would be best but Eternabond will be almost as good for a repair.

Steve
x2. Fiberglass repair would be the best. IMO next best is eternabond. Four inch wide if you can get it. Put it on with a "j" roller. They don't call it eterna for nothing. It will be a bear to remove when and if you decide to fiberglass.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #14

FWIW I have worked with glass cloth as thin as 2 oz/sq yard. It's common in the boat and aerospace industries. End caps seem to be chopped glass which is the heaviest and weakest glass laminate available. It is also the lowest cost. Laminated woven cloth with less resin is stronger and thinner for a given weight. It sounds like that is what your roof is. If it is that thin I would expect it was laid over a layer of plywood. You need the plywood for strength and the glass layer for water proof. Given the rest of the discussion the eterna bond seems like a reasonable fix.

Tags
roof