Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Small pressure tanks for air and liquid

I've looked quite a lot, but can't find what I'm looking for.

I have two tasks for which it would be very handy to have a tank, of about 2 quart capacity, that could be almost filled with liquid and attached to a water inlet on the coach. Air pressure from a compressor (about 30 pasi) applied to the tank would push the liquid into the coach's lines (in one case) or into the potable water tank (the other application).

I've winterised by blowing the water out with air and would like to push the pink stuff through all the lines until it comes out the fuacets, so I know there aren't any low spots with water in them.

The second task is sanitising the potable water tank. We got some unpleasant tasting water at a campground a few weeks back. I pumped all the water out as part of the winterising task and I want to get rid of the taste before next season. The potable tank doesn't have a gravity fill, just a city-water style hose connection. I was thinking of pushing a gallon or so of hydrogen peroxide into the tank and adding about 10 gallons of water (after the cold season is over), and I can't think of any way to do it without using air to push the stuff into the tank.

Any ideas, folks?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
KIX

You cold get about 2 feet of 2 inch PVC pipe at Home Depot. Adapt down on each end to garden hose connectoins.........one male and the other end female. Pour your liquid you wish to inject into the 2 inch PVD then connect it to either air or water to push it into your system / tank. You could drill and tap a Schrader valve for air injection into the sidewall of the pipe.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
paz

You can get a 3-way valve to put in the water line so the pump will draw antifreeze into the line right out of the bottle. No need to force it in.

To add bleach or other sanitizing chemical to a fresh water tank without a gravity fill, make a solution and pour it into your water hose with a funnel. Hook the hose up and turn on the faucet. The water will force the sanitizing solution right into the tank. If you can't add as much sanitizer as you need in one shot, you may need to fill the hose more than once.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks, KIX. I hadn't considered plastic plumbing. Son in law made a potato gun out of that stuff a few years ago and it stood up to some pretty high peak pressures when he lit off the propellant. It could shoot a 10-ounce potato a good 200 feet.

I'd like to be able to put the sanitizer in the water tank with no water to begin with, then add water after it's been in there a few hours. That's why I'm considering Hydrogen Peroxide instead of bleach.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I'd like to be able to put the sanitizer in the water tank with no water to begin with, then add water after it's been in there a few hours. That's why I'm considering Hydrogen Peroxide instead of bleach.
I'm thinking that the hydrogen peroxide just won't do anything unless it touches the tank walls. So, depending on the capacity of your tank pure hydrogen peroxide is going to be a big expense.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A pressure tank (accumulator) for a water system would do what you want and thet. It has a bladder inside that holds liquid and an Schrader valve to pressurize the air around the internal bladder. Put a check valve and hose adapter on its input and you have a small pressurized water tank.

V6P Goulds 2 Gallon Pressure Tank - In-Line Type

You might be able to adapt an RV water accumulator too.
SHURflo Accumulator Tank RV Camper - $34.69
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Later Georgetowns (like the 2008 we had previously) came standard with a winterizing valve like that mentioned above. It had a short length of tubing to insert into the gallon jug of antifreeze and suck it up. Are you sure yours doesn't have that? Mine was well hidden, I think above the wet bay -- I had to take out one of those 4" (or whatever) plastic screw-in plugs, and fish around up there.

If not, I think installing one would be easier and better than any other solution.

For sanitizing, though, I've always used the garden hose method (mix your bleach solution, pour it into the hose, then fill your FW holding tank).
Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #8

Mike:

I can hear the water pmup. It's behind a panel in the bathroom vanity cabinet (which is actually in the bedroom!), which has carpet covering it and no evidence of fasteners holding it (very firmly) in place. I can see two water lines, one going up to the bathroom sink (and presumably the toilet and the outside shower) and one going across to the passenger side of the rig to supply the shower and kitchen sink.

I can't find ay evidence of a suction tube or valve or where the fasteners are on that panel. Maybe I need to take my video camera and take a look in the wet bay behind the connector panel.

Kix:

The taste problem in the fresh water tank resulted from about 5 gallons I added from a CG water source to cover use of potable water on the trip home from the Oregon coast. I figure if I put a slug of hydrogen peroxide and some water in there, then drive around a bit, it might solve the problem. I can check easily by draining and putting some city water in from home, and then do a bleach sanitze if the peroxide didn't do the job. As I remember from our old rig, it takes several fill-refill cycles to get rid of the chlorine taste.

I'll wait on that exercise until close to the start of next season.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #9

Use food grade peroxide @ 30%.

Can be purchased from pool supply / chemical supply / spa supply.

Be careful as it is very caustic. By diluting it 10 to 1 you can create the same thing you buy from a drug store.

You theory about putting it in full strength is not accurate.

Most chemicals that are water soluble are most effective at certain diluted strenghts.

The same applies to bleach.

I fight with my wife all the time because she thinks that stronger is better, not so.

Using Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to treat, purify, or sterilize drinking water

Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 Secrets THEY Don't Want You to Know

Drink H2O2 Drinking Hydrogen Peroxide Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #10

When I want to add chlorine I remove the cartridge from the filter I installed and pour the chlorine in. Reconnect the hose and push the chlorine in.
BOB
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #11

You can mix a cup of baking soda with fresh water after sanitizing with the chlorine mixture and draining. Run the baking soda through all lines to nuterlize the chlorine. Don't forget the ice maker too.