Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
DKO

Smooth Battery Replacement

I asked advice HERE a few weeks ago about changing my chassis batteries and you all really came through. I changed them Friday December 30th and every thing went very smooth.

I disconnected from shore power and turned my inverters off. I took pictures of each battery post and made detailed notes as to the numbers of wires and where they were going if I could tell.

As I said, all went well and it cranked beautifully. My Battery Balance light comes on occasionally but it did that before. I probably need to ask about that in a Prevost forum.

Here are a few pictures of the change.
Thanks again,

DKO

Easily accessible is important for a fat guy...

There are four batteries so I numbered the posts 1-8 and marked each wire as I took it off. Several posts had four wires and all but one had two or more wires. By labeling each wire I wanted to make sure I didn't mix any up. Even with every wire marked clearly it could have easily been confusing. I would never have wired this up correctly without labeling and detailed notes.

Old Batteries-One of them was reading 10.8 volts when I took it out so it was probably the culprit.

New Batteries

Finished

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for sharing! I had seen your request about the battery changing question and noted the responses as it covered things I may not have thought of.

Glad it went so well.

Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations - Nice job - You are now a full fledged Do It Yourselfer.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Looks great! A little tip, I just replaced mine last month and I take a zip tie and the post with two or more cables, when I remove the nut I zip tie the cable ends through the holes together. In the finished pic I see four ends on one post, run a ziptie through the ends so they have to stay together.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Looks great! A little tip, I just replaced mine last month and I take a zip tie and the post with two or more cables, when I remove the nut I zip tie the cable ends through the holes together. In the finished pic I see four ends on one post, run a ziptie through the ends so they have to stay together.
I actually had four posts with four wires each. In fact every post but one had at least three wires. I started to wire tie the wires from each post together but I wanted to wrap each lead in tape so to eliminate any possibility of sparking something. So instead I made careful notes of how many wires came off each post. That way I would know how many wires to look for when re-installing.

Also as you can see in the 3rd picture several wires were removed completely and laid over to the left side because they ran from battery to battery. If these had been wire tied to the other wires it would have been more difficult to remove the old batteries and install the new ones along with the brackets for bracing.

DKO
Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencebuster View Post
Thank you for sharing! I had seen your request about the battery changing question and noted the responses as it covered things I may not have thought of.

Glad it went so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Congratulations - Nice job - You are now a full fledged Do It Yourselfer.
Thank you very much!
DKO
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=DKO;1047291]
''My Battery Balance light comes on occasionally but it did that before. I probably need to ask about that in a Prevost forum.''

this info, method 4, may help keep your batteries balanced.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
DKO

24/12 volts

[QUOTE=DAN L;1048050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKO View Post
''My Battery Balance light comes on occasionally but it did that before. I probably need to ask about that in a Prevost forum.''

this info, method 4, may help keep your batteries balanced.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
Thanks for the link. I believe those configurations are for straight 12 volt systems. I have 24 volts that run to an equalizer that gives me 24 volts for the starter and some of the other things on the bus and 12 volts for the lights and many other things on the bus.

The configuration for 24 volts requires connecting the positive side from some batteries to the negative post on others. It blew my mind when I saw it and I had to confirm with experts before I could believe my eyes.

By the way, I discovered the problem while looking things over this morning. The wire that runs to the 24 volt post on the equalizer was loose. I completely overlooked it while replacing the batteries. I haven't cranked the bus yet but I am pretty sure that solves it.

Thanks again,
DKO
Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
When working on the batteries remember to take off your wedding ring. If you accidentally short your ring out you will wish you had removed it,you will have a serious burn and a badly damaged ring. It only takes a minute to remove it so be safe. There is alot of energy stored in the battery.
Just hoping I might save someone some grief
Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #10

A little time now and then will keep your batteries/battery compartment looking like it does today. A clean area with uncontaminated battery posts and connections will give you years of trouble free service.

Tags
battery, replacement