Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
DonDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Saw a decal on a big rig " I drive at this speed for you safety and fuel economy". Thinking about putting one on the MH. I run 57 to 65 on the open road based on road surface, weather and traffic and stay in the right lane. I am very conscious of the posted speed limits and traffic flow but, I will not be forced to drive at a speed higher that I deem to be safe because someone else chooses to drive at speeds greater than I am driving. I will pull over where possible to allow other traffic to pass.

Martin
I should make another. On a old MH I had a sign in the rear window: "Cruisin' easy, saving gas".

Got a lot of horn toots and thumbs up.
__________________

__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
DonDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
After reading these posts, it is easy to see why most of the motoring public dislikes these rolling roadblocks that we lovingly call Motorhomes.
Respectfully, what's your source for this info?
__________________

__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Chuck 1935's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shadow Hills,CA 91040
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Respectfully, what's your source for this info?

I really don't have a particular source. It is all based on comments I have heard aimed at me in truck stops and gas stations, over the years.
It seem more than a few people have expressed their displeasure at the speed that we choose to drive . I think that many of us are retired and are not cought up in the desperate need to get to our destination in record time. I try to be aware of what is going on behind me and try to make sure I am not impeding the flow of traffic. I also try to avoid being on the road during rush hour.
So there you have my thoughts on the subject !
__________________
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 471
JMO, 10mph under the speed limit is just as dangerous as 10mph over the speed limit. One driver isn't paying 100% attention in that 20mph difference & there is high speed trouble.
__________________
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
rivraton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 353
80 MPH+ @ 2200RPM? That's some pretty tall gearing!
__________________
2015 A.C.E. 27.1
American Car Dolly
2001 Ram 1500 / 2012 Kia Soul....Go Hamsters!
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
jenandjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 710
The main thing is if you are driving slower stay in the right lane. Slow people in the left lane are the ones that plug everything up.
__________________
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
vapor3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 512
I drive at speeds of 55 mph to 62 mph (max) depending on the wind and road conditions on highways. I really don't care who/what is behind me.

The closing rate is what is really important. You can't stop these big rigs like a mouse car!!!
__________________
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
sknight's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 908
I'm finding the declarations of "I don't care who or what is behind me" or "I paid for it, I'll do as I wish" rather disturbing. I thought that's what's wrong with the millennial generation.
__________________
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
jenandjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I'm finding the declarations of "I don't care who or what is behind me" or "I paid for it, I'll do as I wish" rather disturbing. I thought that's what's wrong with the millennial generation.

Agreed.
__________________
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,012
So, are we driving too slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I drive at speeds of 55 mph to 62 mph (max) depending on the wind and road conditions on highways. I really don't care who/what is behind me.

The closing rate is what is really important. You can't stop these big rigs like a mouse car!!!

Any experienced driver would understand what you are saying. You are completely correct that you have to put greater responsibility to where you are headed, versus those behind you. They need to be responsible for controlling their driving and stay back at a safe distance, recognizing that they can not see ahead and therefore must be prepared to stop in the event you may need to stop quickly, or have to slow down for any reason.

That is why all the laws are clear that if someone rear-ends you, there is no drought that they are at fault. They did not drive at a safe distance behind the car ahead, therefore they are automatically deemed the reckless and at fault driver.

Any experienced and responsible driver would understand that concept. You are responsible for not hitting the person I fort of you, they are responsible for not running into you. That is true regardless of the age group that you belong to.

That is what younger, inexperienced drivers only learn after they follow to closely and end up causing an accident. In fact, the rule has always been to leave at least one car length (that is the length of the car you are driving) for each 10 mph of speed you are traveling, between you and the person in front of you. In an RV, you are responsible for leaving far more distance because you are longer and much heavier than a smaller vehicle. It will take you a much longer distance to stop than other smaller vehicles wound take.

An inexperienced person leaves 1" per 10 mph, thinking that they can stop on a dime. Not only does speed kill, but ignorance and inexperience kills just as quickly. It is amazing that this concept would need to be explained to anyone that thinks they are ready to drive an RV.


Ted
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
vapor3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Any experienced driver would understand what you are saying. You are completely correct that you have to put greater responsibility to where you are headed, versus those behind you. They need to be responsible for controlling their driving and stay back at a safe distance, recognizing that they can not see ahead and therefore must be prepared to stop in the event you may need to stop quickly, or have to slow down for any reason.

That is why all the laws are clear that if someone rear-ends you, there is no drought that they are at fault. They did not drive at a safe distance behind the car ahead, therefore they are automatically deemed the reckless and at fault driver.

Any experienced and responsible driver would understand that concept. You are responsible for not hitting the person I fort of you, they are responsible for not running into you. That is true regardless of the age group that you belong to.

That is what younger, inexperienced drivers only learn after they follow to closely and end up causing an accident. In fact, the rule has always been to leave at least one car length (that is the length of the car you are driving) for each 10 mph of speed you are traveling, between you and the person in front of you. In an RV, you are responsible for leaving far more distance because you are longer and much heavier than a smaller vehicle. It will take you a much longer distance to stop than other smaller vehicles wound take.

An inexperienced person leaves 1" per 10 mph, thinking that they can stop on a dime. Not only does speed kill, but ignorance and inexperience kills just as quickly. It is amazing that this concept would need to be explained to anyone that thinks they are ready to drive an RV.


Ted
Well stated and very true. I'll bet you don't care who/what is behind you either!! I'm 65 years old and well experienced in driving large equipment as you are.
__________________
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Chuck 1935's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shadow Hills,CA 91040
Posts: 3,020
Pontificating in it's highest form !
__________________
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Pontificating in it's highest form !

Hey Chuck, at least you can count on me to "pontificate"... Lol


Ted
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,012
So, are we driving too slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Well stated and very true. I'll bet you don't care who/what is behind you either!! I'm 65 years old and well experienced in driving large equipment as you are.

As I pontificated, I agree with having to be focused on where you are going versus those behind you. Regardless, and I am sure you also recognize this, you also need to drive defensively.

I am always very aware of those behind me. Unfortunately, they don't always drive at a safe distance. Therefore, I will need to compensate for their inability to stop quick enough, and it is therefore necessary to compensate even more in regard to those ahead of me. I will try to leave enough room to stop slow enough to allow the person behind me time to react before running into me. Even though I know that it is their responsibility to drive safely, many are not responsible drivers.


Ted
__________________

__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV Driving Course- Driving Like a Pro & 5TH & TT's "007" New Rig Show-Off! 67 02-28-2017 07:54 AM
Using inverter while driving. calsteve Class A Motorhome Discussions 14 07-04-2014 09:35 PM
Driving Lessons OWV Jayco Owner's Forum 7 02-07-2014 05:52 AM
Driving Test SonnyB RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 1 02-07-2014 12:14 AM
Good V10 driving habits John How Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 28 10-02-2013 07:12 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.