Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Hey Chuck, at least you can count on me to "pontificate"... Lol

Ted

Sorry Ted, I wasn't picking on you or anyone for that matter !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #58

Wink

The one vehicle length for every ten miles an hour was the rule.... back in the fifties. Unfortunately lots of folks have no clue/lack of depth perception that makes the accurate use of this rule problematic at best. There is a much better way to determine the appropriate following distance and it is known as the "2 second rule".

Simply put, you allow 2 seconds of following distance on dry pavement, 4 seconds when it is raining and 6 seconds (or more), in the presence of snow or ice. It is a very simple matter to observe when the vehicle ahead of you crosses a particular point in the roadway (painted lines, shadows, a sign post etc.), all are easy to see. Then simply count two full seconds (one Mississippi, two Mississippi.... whatever). if you have the proper following distance you will not reach that point before 2 seconds have elapsed.

This method is far more accurate (not being contingent upon your speed), and much easier to use than trying to calculate if you have 5 or 6 car lengths. Try it and don't be surprised if you are in fact 6 car lengths back at 60 mph... it is just a lot easier to make that determination.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #59

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Sorry Ted, I wasn't picking on you or anyone for that matter !

No problem, I realize that I do pontificate from time to time, and I do it with intent at some times.... I am cool with that title. Lol

Ted
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #60

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
The one vehicle length for every ten miles an hour was the rule.... back in the fifties. Unfortunately lots of folks have no clue/lack of depth perception that makes the accurate use of this rule problematic at best. There is a much better way to determine the appropriate following distance and it is known as the "2 second rule".

Simply put, you allow 2 seconds of following distance on dry pavement, 4 seconds when it is raining and 6 seconds (or more), in the presence of snow or ice. It is a very simple matter to observe when the vehicle ahead of you crosses a particular point in the roadway (painted lines, shadows, a sign post etc.), all are easy to see. Then simply count two full seconds (one Mississippi, two Mississippi.... whatever). if you have the proper following distance you will not reach that point before 2 seconds have elapsed.

This method is far more accurate (not being contingent upon your speed), and much easier to use than trying to calculate if you have 5 or 6 car lengths. Try it and don't be surprised if you are in fact 6 car lengths back at 60 mph... it is just a lot easier to make that determination.

Sounds good.

Ted
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #61

I drive at or just below 60, 2-4-6 lane roads. Stay in the right lane on the
Multi lane roads. Will get over in a wide spot to let traffic by when I get a parade.
(see sig.)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #62
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post

Great advice!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #63

Carolina Campers
So, are we driving too slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Great advice!

I agree with the advice, but I would think that it is meant for driving a normal sized car. I would think that when you are driving a 30,000 pound vehicle versus a 3,000 pound vehicle, you may want to consider a greater amount of stopping distance.

Ted
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #64

I don't have to rely on those methods. My wife just tells me, "Drop back, Dear." I works great.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #65

On I-5 near the Canadian border where we live, the posted limit is 70 mph. The actual vehicle traffic speed is anywhere from 50 to 90+ mph. If you like to cruise at a steady 70 mph or any other steady speed you will find it is nearly impossible because you will get behind the guy doing 50 mph and will not be able to pass for several miles because the passing lane is bumper to bumper.
And all bets are off if you have a vehicle cruising in the passing lane doing 50 mph. There are numerous signs stating move right except to pass but they are ignored by a lot of drivers.

We just returned from a trip around Hood Canal, Washington in the toad. Most of this road is posted 50mph and the southern part is pretty twisty as well as very scenic. Since we were sight-seeing we were traveling 45-50 mph. Several times we used the pull outs to let the faster traffic go by. I don't think we held up anybody for more than a few seconds.
At least one motorhome pulling a toad passed us exceeding 60 mph, and within a few miles turned into a RV park, obviously in a hurry to get the best site.

When driving our motorhome, I try to run at the speed of the prevailing traffic in the truck lanes if I can. I do have some sympathy for the traffic trying to pass me and will use the pull outs when I start backing up traffic.

One thing I have learned over the years is that I am already where I want to be, and I am not in a rush to move to the next stage.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #66

Factors that define my driving speed:

Years behind the wheel of a BIG coach
How old is the coach and it's suspension system
How wide is the road and are they old design with poor banking on turns
Two lane apposed, two lane, three lane highway
How short are entrance ramps for traffic to merge with me (you know how the little cars just love to run right behind each other in trains as they merge)
Daytime/night time
Fatigue level

I run the flow of traffic and then about 2mph less in the right lane, unless the road is three lanes and minimal traffic that allows me to keep a nice long distance from me to the guy in front. Once traffic levels ramp up, I'm in the right lane. I'm on vacation. Don't care if it takes me a few hours more to get where I'm going. After all, the driving is part of the fun of it, for me, at least...
Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
If not driving the same speed is such a safety issue on this form, Then why is the speed limit slower in some states for towing or pulling a trailer?
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Most newer fleet trucks are governed at 60 to 65 mph. I usually set the cruise control at 67 mph (1500 rpm) and don't find myself holding up traffic. If I need to pass someone I'll speed up to get around then return to the right lane.
with the condition of I-10 where you and I live it's hard to even do 67 sometimes.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #69

National RV Owners Club
I confess, I am a little perplexed about some of the hand wringing apparently going on in this thread about speeders and their safety. It seems to me that they are the ones that are causing the possibly dangerous conditions by exceeding posted limits by significant margins. Any of us who drives a larger/heavier vehicle understands clearly that we have to operate these vehicles by different rules than those driving your average automobile. In many cases, they are slower up hills, take longer to stop,slower to turn and are not entirely stable at higher speeds. Maximum speed limits are clearly defined. I don't see many RV's going tremendously lower than those limits and even if they are going 5 or 10 mph slower, that is perfectly legal. In many cases, you will often see a slower limit specifically for trucks. The aforementioned I5 for example, the speed limit for trucks is 60 while for cars it is 70 in Washington state. That is a legislated speed difference and anyone in a car who gets annoyed at this can basically take a long walk on a short pier. I drive within the limits of what is safe for my vehicle and I think I am a far better judge of that than someone who has never driven my rig or perhaps any rig. I suspect but can't prove that most of those who complain at times fall into the latter group. They simply have no idea because if they did, they wouldn't be so quick to give that middle finger salute. They are not worth considering based on their behaviour alone and I for one an not going to change my driving patterns based on a concern for their tender sensibilities.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #70

Appalachian Campers
We're not talking about speeders. The actual issue is when people drive far below the posted limit thus causing a dangerous situation. Traffic regularly flows 5MPH over the limit I don't care if it's 25 or 75. There will always be the 10 over crowd, and there's always that guy pulling down 20 over. Everybody hates him. But the average is around 5MPH over.

So when you're doing 55MPH, that's a 15 to 20MPH differential in a 70MPH zone. Yes, you can be seen easier than cars, but regardless of visibility everyone is swapping lanes to go around you. It's dangerous and before you quit reading this, I'll have articles at the bottom for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN
Every state has a law on the books that says something along the lines of: "A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable forward movement of traffic."
Source

Slow drivers can get ticketed, too - 1 - - MSN Money

So is it a valid point? It sure is.

While done in 1964, David Solomon established that the rate of crashes increased dramatically when traffic is flowing with a more than 15mph differential, and slower is actually worse than faster!!! This chart shows collisions per 100 million vehicle miles.

And here's an NHTSA article that supports it and explains further the circumstances. This is a PDF, hopefully this link will work.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...72676100,d.b2U

In conclusion, I find it very discouraging the number of people effectively crossing their arms, metaphorically sticking their fingers fingers in their ears repeating "It's for the safety of my family. It's for the safety of my family. I don't care what's going on around me, it's for the safety of my family."

I'm not saying anyone is a bad person, I am saying that maybe minds need to open up some and acknowledge that yes, there could be substance to this.

And I'm ready to take my lumps. Just don't get upset that when I go by with my rig, cruise set to 65ish, that depending on the study you read, I could actually be the safer one.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote