Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, are we driving too slow?

It seems to me that this is an East West issue.
Most of my driving is in the west where the speeds limit is higher. (Excluding California )
Most of the RV's are traveling 65 to 70 with mostly light traffic . The slower vehicles pretty much stay to the right
I have also driven south on 95 and can see why the RV speeds are slower. The traffic is heavier and packed together. If you open much of a gap in front of you someone will try and fill that spot. Not a fun drive !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #100

Carolina Campers
It seems to be an east and west or north and south related quandary for me...

Regardless of which direction I drive in, I am happy to report that most people seem to be driving a safe speed and recognize that we all have the right to share the road together. But also, regardless which direction I drive there are going to be some folks that don't drive a safe speed and think that they own the road and you better get out of their way...

Just the way it is about everywhere...

Ted

Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #101

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. " I drive at the speed that I'm most comfortable with.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We drive our MH on I95 every spring and fall from Virginia to the Florida turnpike. I have noticed that in the areas that have 70mph speed limit the majority of people do not go that fast. Both DW and I feel 70 is too fast in the the MH so I am happy everyone does not go that fast because we like to stay with the flow of traffic. Can't always keep up on hills though.

My grandmother when she was still alive actually had her insurance raised because she was rear ended so many times. I have to assume that was not from speeding so going too slow is not good either.

If you look in your mirror and see a long line of traffic behind and there is no one in front of you, you probably are going too slow
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #103

Many trucking companies have speed limiters set around 62 mph for fuel millage purposes. The mpg starts dropping drastically above that.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Many trucking companies have speed limiters set around 62 mph for fuel millage purposes. The mpg starts dropping drastically above that.

Not on I-10 or I-40
Old 08-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #105

Carolina Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. " I drive at the speed that I'm most comfortable with.

As an example of using statical data to bolster your point without regard to other data that would impact the statistics.... The guy on the video is comparing fatality statistics from back in the '70s to those of today, only looking at the speed limit laws.

This totally disregards other impacts on those statistics such as advances in automobile safety standards, the fact that in the '60s and '70s it was rare for people to wear a seat belt. Now it is the norm to use your seatbelt, or the many advances made in car safety when in a collision, like crumple zones, air bags, etc, etc, etc.

So in reality, a quick update may show that looking at those other impacts, it has been the continued rise in speed limits that have caused a continued rise in death rates versus the proposed theory that it is caused simply because the general population refuses to go along with driving faster and just "go with the flow".

Well, my hypothesis is that if we had kept the lower speed limit from the '70s in place, and made the advances in the safety standards that have been made over the last 50 years, traffic fatalities would have experienced significant declines over that time period.

Actually, my theory is that big oil is so powerful that they have influenced legislatures to increase the speed limits with total disregard for the safety of the general public. They know good and well that for every 10 mph that the speed limit is raised, there is a significant drop in fuel economy, and therefore by increasing the speed limits they are able to improve their profits with out even trying to make fuel consumption or fuel conservation an issue.

If lower speed limits were enacted today we would see lower fatal accidents, and a significant increase in fuel economy. Then when the fuel prices would drop due it increased supply, the amount of traffic would increase as fuel prices dropped, and then more traffic on the roads would lead to more potential accidents.... Oh man, this gets more complicated as we go....

Ted
Old 08-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Just think how few accidents we would have if everyone walked. Well except for that one jerk that has to run and the other one that crawls
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Just think how few accidents we would have if everyone walked. Well except for that one jerk that has to run and the other one that crawls
And that guy that is walking and texting on his cell phone
Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #108

Carolina Campers
Or the guy that walks around pulling a waggon...

Ted
Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #109

Jayco Owners Club
I guess we can drive as fast as we want, as long as we are willing to pony up for the fuel. The biggest fuel burner in towing a trailer or driving a class... whatever RV is air drag. Air drag increases with the square of speed. drag at 60 isn't twice what it is at 30... it's 4 times greater. At 90, it's 9 times more. So, unless the RV manufacturers come up with some true aerodynamic changes for the better, you will be paying through the nose for increased speed. If you have more money than sense, buy the speed rated Kumho tires and burn it! Until they get the aerodynamics worked out better, I'll be tooling along between 60 and 65....
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #110

Carolina Campers

Or the guy that has a better set of walking shoes than you have....

Ted
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think most people walk way to fast. As you get older your reaction time is just not the same. Just imagine losing the sole off your sneaker while walking art a fast pace. God only knows what unpleasantness might occur. LETS JUST STROLL PEOPLE !!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #112

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post

Well, my hypothesis is that if we had kept the lower speed limit from the '70s in place, and made the advances in the safety standards that have been made over the last 50 years, traffic fatalities would have experienced significant declines over that time period.

Actually, my theory is that big oil is so powerful that they have influenced legislatures to increase the speed limits with total disregard for the safety of the general public. They know good and well that for every 10 mph that the speed limit is raised, there is a significant drop in fuel economy, and therefore by increasing the speed limits they are able to improve their profits with out even trying to make fuel consumption or fuel conservation an issue.

If lower speed limits were enacted today we would see lower fatal accidents, and a significant increase in fuel economy. Then when the fuel prices would drop due it increased supply, the amount of traffic would increase as fuel prices dropped, and then more traffic on the roads would lead to more potential accidents.... Oh man, this gets more complicated as we go....

Ted
I notice that you are from the east and your sentiments are typical of those who haven't spent a great amount of time in the western states. When the speed limit was dropped to 55 during the Nixon years the folks in western states went crazy and for good reason. There are plenty of places in this country where you can drive for many miles and not see another car (and that includes some large sections of I-90!) In most places I've been speed limits have been raised to accommodate the conditions. 80 mph through parts of Utah makes sense to me given the traffic and conditions.

Do I drive my MH at those speeds? Of course not, but when I'm in the car I don't have a problem doing so.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote