Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, are we driving too slow?

[quote=docj;2176987]i notice that you are from the east and your sentiments are typical of those who haven't spent a great amount of time in the western states. When the speed limit was dropped to 55 during the nixon years the folks in western states went crazy and for good reason. There are plenty of places in this country where you can drive for many miles and not see another car (and that includes some large sections of i-90!) in most places i've been speed limits have been raised to accommodate the conditions. 80 mph through parts of utah makes sense to me given the traffic and conditions.

Do i drive my mh at those speeds? Of course not, but when i'm in the car i don't have a problem

Right on the money ! Very well stated. I remember when we went to 55mph. A one day trip turned into a two day trip.
I also agree with your car vs Motorhome analogy .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #114

Carolina Campers
So, are we driving too slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I notice that you are from the east and your sentiments are typical of those who haven't spent a great amount of time in the western states. When the speed limit was dropped to 55 during the Nixon years the folks in western states went crazy and for good reason. There are plenty of places in this country where you can drive for many miles and not see another car (and that includes some large sections of I-90!) In most places I've been speed limits have been raised to accommodate the conditions. 80 mph through parts of Utah makes sense to me given the traffic and conditions.

Do I drive my MH at those speeds? Of course not, but when I'm in the car I don't have a problem doing so.

Oh yes, I live in the east now, but let me recall my other life(s) for you. This is simply to show that your assumptions are typical for someone that says things based upon assumption, that don't know anything about whether there assumptions have any basis in reality....

I was born in Stockton, CA, raised in Napa Vally, lived in TX, NM, AZ, NV, NE, FL, and NC, as well as have traveled for business in almost every state, driving everywhere, as well as internationally in many other countries....

I simply live where I live at the moment, that does not mean I have not experienced somewhere else....

Frankly, I drive my RV the same speed regardless if I am in UT, KS, TX, TN, OK, CA, OR, CO, FL, SC, NC, VA, NY, NJ, WY, ID, OH, or Canada,or AK, or other places that I have been...

And obviously, driving a car is not the same as driving an RV...

So we come back around, back to what I said anyway, and that is that if you are a responsible driver, you can not expect to drive an RV at the same speed as a car, even if the posted speed limit is higher than the speed you can drive safely. Which of course was my point that you have admitted is what you do as well...

Regardless, I am sure that there are many that want higher speed limits, regardless where they live... And many do many things that are not in their best interest every day, but it does not make it something that is good, nor the best for everyone...

I would be one to advocate for lower speed limits, yet, I know that it is not really fare to expect someone in a car to drive at 60 to 65 when the speed limit is 80 to 85. It is just as ridiculous for a car driver to expect an RV driver to drive faster than what is save, just so that everyone is driving at the speed limit or higher.

There is no way that everyone can be expected to drive the same speed. Those that drive faster, need to consider this and drive safely, in recognition that there are others on the same road that can not drive at the speed limit. Just as an RV driver must be considerate that there is faster traffic and therefore they should try to leave the faster lanes available for faster drivers.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ah ha, Northern California Ted,
Old 08-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #116

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Ah ha, Northern California Ted,

Actually, yes. I consider St Helena, Deer Park, Angwin, Calistogs, Pope Vally, Lake Berryessa area as home. I've also lived in Sacramento, East Bay, Concord, Antioch, Brentwood as another life. Even lived quite a few of my hippy years while in Auburn, Colfax, Gold Run, Alta/Dutch Flat, and up by Donner Pass, Truckee and the Lake Tahoe area...

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #117

Um... aren't most of the tires rated around 60-65 mph?
:whistle:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Um... aren't most of the tires rated around 60-65 mph?
:whistle:

Low boy trailer tires are about that speed.
Most 22.5's are 75 mph.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #119

So the motorhomes should be going faster but not us 5ers...
Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #120

Red face

While some owners have ponied up the money and upgraded to LT tires most fiver and TT's are running on ST tires that have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. Additionally the majority of those ST's are the so called "China Bomb's" of dubious quality. This is why I cringe every time some fool (with a death wish), towing blows by me at 70-75 or more.

Here is a good look and what can happen with the China Cheapo's that came with our TT. Prior to the blowout it looked exactly like the tire on the left. Before leaving the CG 40 miles earlier I had checked the pressure (right at the max of 55 psi), inspected all four and was driving 55.

Changing a blowout on the shoulder of interstate 10 was less than fun. I replaced all four with a set of Maxxi's the next day (end of problem).
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #121

In our coach, on an interstate, I travel at about 67mph which is about 1450 rpm. It handles fine and seems like that speed partly because my Cummins M11 shifts from 5th to 6th @ 65 mph, plus it's right at the torque curve. On most two lane roads I feel safer at a lower speed and had to accept that I'm running in a lower gear and actually getting worse gas mileage. The main point that I see is that speed zones are set for the majority of the vehicles on the road, passenger cars, not RVs. Around West Texas 75 mph is the norm for most divided Hi-ways and a lot of two lane. In my old 32' Journey, to feel safe, 60-65 was pushing it. In the current coach, because of the better handling characteristics due to the outboard mounted air suspension and the semi monocoque frame I feel safer even though I'm going faster.

P/S ....have fun and drive safe, no matter what speed you like!
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Since I like to have safety room in front of me, I tend to travel 5-7 mph slower than the speed limit.

People are going to pass me anyway - who wants to travel behind a motorhome? But driving a little slower than the traffic, they will pull ahead of me quickly and assure my safety room.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote