Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I drive 60,000 miles a year as part of my job, I can attest that someone going more than 10MPH below the limit is a great danger especially if they're not in the right lane. Someone is going to misjudge the closing rate, suddenly change lanes to avoid hitting them, then will potentially collide with another car. I see it regularly.
If I am driving within the speed limits, minding my business in the right lane, then someone else's inattentiveness, irresponsibility, selflessness, and overall poor driving skills, is not my problem, responsibility, or my fault...
If one is not paying for my vehicle, my insurance, my gas, my traffic tickets, and my insurance, then I do not care what they think about me driving 55-60 in a 70 max area, in the right lane. Basically, they can pound sand.
Now for those clowns that drive slow in the fast lane, they deserve to be run completely off the road, because they are just rude human beings.
I usually tend to drive over the speed limit, except in rain, or other bad weather, in which case I tend to get passed a lot, but I am in the right lane minding my own business
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I drive 60 MPH on all 4-lane roads, including interstates, and 55-60 on 2-lane depending on road conditions.

I stay in the right lane except to move left one lane to let traffic merge.

That's what I'm comfortable with and I'm sticking to it!
This
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #17

Wink

No one is required to drive the maximum posted limit (sadly some here seem to think so ), which by the way is only valid when road and weather conditions permit. Drive the max when it is raining, snowing, icy, foggy, dusty etc., and you can easily find yourself with a well deserved ticket.

I stay in the right lane cruising between 55 to 62, always with the appropriate following distance, headlights on 24/7 and heck, I even use my turn signals (every time). What a concept!
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #18

humm i have not see any one else talk about back roads

we all so drive on alot of back roads where it can go 35 25 45 55 32 mpr in just a few mins

i posted this to all so bring out safety and think about it more on road like that and to look back and see whats coming up behind you ... and see if some thing could play out that you dont like and could slow down or speed up more to give some one more time to get over or pass safely

we all know this and look back but how much do we really thank about it ... did we all feel safe as we where all going so slow .. or like in this video under stand how unsafe it is at lower speeds that this happens more often
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #19

Depending on the State you drive in the max posted speed is the limit for ideal conditions. You can actually get a ticket for speeding when driving below the posted speed in conditions that are not safe, mostly due to weather/traffic congestion/constuction ect. It is all about safety. I agree with some of the prior posts I drive my MH about 60 mph, stay in the right lane most of the time, If I'm in the #1or #2 lane I move to the right if I see traffic coming up behind me.

I really focus on what is ahead of me, not the idiot doing 75-80 on their cellphone behind me swerving around everyone in their path while they talk about whatever. I drive safe, because it is my familys safety, my MH, Insurance, tickets ect that I worry about, and there is nowhere I need to be that fast to jeopardize any of that.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I drive 60,000 miles a year as part of my job, I can attest that someone going more than 10MPH below the limit is a great danger especially if they're not in the right lane. "Someone is going to misjudge the closing rate, suddenly change lanes to avoid hitting them, then will potentially collide with another car". I see it regularly.
Their probably the same idiots that merge on to a hyway at 45 mph thats flowing at 65-70 mph and slam on their brakes when they get in front of you.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #21

OTR trucks and motorhomes going a little slower do not present the same danger as a smaller vehicle. You see the truck/MH way in advance as do other drivers therefore the risk is mitigated in advance; whereas a smaller car or truck is not seen until one is right upon them. The risk assessment time is reduced and therefore not mitigated as well.

Reference the merging of cars at less then the traffic flow; the name for an on ramp is an acceleration lane, therefore there should not be any braking at all but a concerted effort to drive fast enough for all vehicles entering the road to merge effectively. Inversely, the off ramp is a deceleration lane and therefore one does not speed up when exiting.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #22

Especially at one on ramp here it is a pull on at 40 so I can floor it. If you move over for them you get stuck slowing traffic as they accelerate at a speed you can not get around them... so... being as my DD is my dually, the only ones I move over for any more is the campers and trucks.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #23

I usually just go with the flow. Problem with going with the flow in the RV is the speedometer quits registering at 80mph. Fuel mileage is usually between 11-13 mpg, I asked my dad and that's been his experience too and he's been driving this rig since new, he just uses the tach to figure out how much over 80 he's going!

aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WHEW! I don't know about you but I got tired of trying to keep track of the guy on the screen. He was like a windshield wiper. Anyway, on the Interstates I'm at 62. Two lane 55 or posted speed depending on road conditions.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I drive 60 MPH on all 4-lane roads, including interstates, and 55-60 on 2-lane depending on road conditions.

I stay in the right lane except to move left one lane to let traffic merge.

That's what I'm comfortable with and I'm sticking to it!
Same here.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #26

I have a friend who drives for a commercial trucking company and drives from Central FL to KY to AZ and back to FL every week (2 man team). His truck has a speed limiter set at 62 mph. He says that this is very common for commercial trucking companies due to fuel economy reasons. He doesn't like it as it makes it very hard to pass with only a one or two mile differential when one of these over takes another one. In our coach, we are at about 60 or 62 on the expressway and much slower on surface streets. I turn off the cruise control in any hilly conditions. Several years ago, we made a trip from Central Florida to Washington state and back. I passed a total of 7 vehicles in the 9200 miles. We are not in a hurry at all. My wife/navigator in the right hand seat makes all major decisions on passing.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Now I drive like a bat out of hell towing my little Aliner at 70+ at times. But that's because I only get to camp twice a year -2 1wk vacations. I never even get a weekend off. My work requires 6-7 days a week for me. So If I'm going to make a 700-1,000 mile day I have little choice.

Now when I retire and full-time it will be quite a different story. I will be on a tight budget, so will be moving monthly and stretching my fuel dollar as much as possible. I plan on be leisurely meandering down back roads at my optimum MPG speed, at off hours/low traffic times, avoiding cities and timing my speed to traffic signal lights to avoid stopping, starting and minimizing braking whenever possible to conserve momentum. I also plan on adding aerodynamic devices to my F-250/TT combo, like air-tabs, and building a custom low drag camper-top to cover my 2, 100 MPG motorbikes (for cruising around town after we arrive) that has foldable tail flaps like you se on some 18 wheeler trailers these days. I will fold them in at around 30 degrees to reduce drag when not towing (say for grocery getting, etc.) and out at 30 degrees when towing to ease the air flow around my TT. I also plan on using them on the rear of my camper too. I'll probably make them out of Coroplast (corrugated plastic sign material) as it's very lightweight, sturdy, weathers well and is cheap and easy to replace when damaged. Hopefully this will allow me to drive a somewhat reasonable speed, say 55 mph so I can flow better with traffic, without sacrificing fuel economy due to drag.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
I usually just go with the flow. Problem with going with the flow in the RV is the speedometer quits registering at 80mph. Fuel mileage is usually between 11-13 mpg....... ]

Just out of curiosity, what MH are you driving that gets 11-13 mpg at 80?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote