Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #15

Yeah, I don't know if I would trust any of those jacks to support a heavy MH during high winds or a lot of inside movement.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I have found people this stupid don't take too well to friendly advise. I wanted to find a state trooper to charge the A class driver with unsafe operation of a motor vehicle to start with. Perhaps he borrowed it from a friend. If that is the case I hope owner sees this post
Unless the violation happens on a public roadway, there isn't much a cop can do. Traffic laws generally do not apply to private property nor areas off the roadway.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
How can it roll with frame mounted jack lifting the rear and the front?

It may fall off of that stack of chintzy cribbing, but its not going to roll with those four jacks down.
Wet leaves, ice, hard packed mud,,, Not so much a roll but a slip or shift. The jack cylinders have great strength vertically but not as much laterally. Plus the jack base offers very little to prevent movement. Should the coach slip or move the cylinders will bend and can not be retracted. Not easy to unbolt a jack(s) at a camp site unless you carry a portable jack to lift the coach off the bent jack(s). It has happened.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:37 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Iv'e had a couple of stupid people.
One was backing a 5th wheel into a spot and when I offered to guide him he told me "I done this a hundred times I din't need no [moderator edit] help--next thing I saw was water shooting about 30 t0 40 feet in the air and him ranting.
The second that stands out is an Asian couple with 3 kids at 11 o'clock at night trying to back a brand new trailer they drove direct from the dealer, never drove one before and never camped before, no camping gear nothing. I offered to help and was chased off by the wife because "it doesn't take a genus to do this". Next morning they were parked about 30 degrees out, in a small ditch and left about 6am.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I saw a motorhome lift his front wheels off the ground on a sloped campsite. It proceeded to slide, bending the jacks in the process.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Man, you guys are brutal. Not all people are as intelligent, or knowledgable as we sometimes think we are. If you are not careful "it" will jump up and bite you before you know it. Life is about learning. I grant you, some people do enoughf just to get buy, but some people just don't know. I was in Alaska at a campground last year. One morning a man approached me asking me how to check the oil, and air in the tires on his MH. I was glad to help him. We have to give them credit for trying. It's just me, but I would have to explain to them what kind of a dangerous situation they are in..
Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
So many foolish people. This year's winners are:

Quote:

It may fall off of that stack of chintzy cribbing, but its not going to roll with those four jacks down.
Yes. It might not roll once the jacks snap off cos the brake tires will then be on the ground; and so will the jacks. Sadly, I speak from experience. My front jacks didn't bend or break, but all the bolts holding the bracket they're mounted on snapped off.

I may be dumb but I'm not as dumb as I used to be! Isn't that true for a lot of us?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I have found people this stupid don't take too well to friendly advise. I wanted to find a state trooper to charge the A class driver with unsafe operation of a motor vehicle to start with. Perhaps he borrowed it from a friend. If that is the case I hope owner sees this post
No laws broken other than the laws of gravity so nothing could be done by a LEO.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #23

Liability

Both these RV's were parked in State Parks which is a public place so I would assume motor vehicle laws would apply. Why else do State troopers drive the loops?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless there's some criminal conspiracy afoot, the Trooper can't cite a driver for what the Trooper THINKS he's going to do, or for what it LOOKS LIKE the driver is planning to do. In order for there to be <unsafe><careless><reckless> operation, there must first be operation, and in general it must be observed. If parked, a MH is just a heavy lawn ornament, subject to all the rules and regulations applicable to lawn ornaments. ;-)
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Reminds me of this cartoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413638971.959845.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	76804