Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Smile So what do you think? Can we own an RV?

Hello All,

First, Let me thank you all for sharing incredible amount of knowledge on these forums. Quick Introduction - We are a family with 2 kids (8 and 1) and have been in this beautiful country for just about 4 years now (though we have traveled the world and have stayed in a couple of countries) due to the nature of my job. We now own a house and think its time to start enjoying this great country.

Second, We have no experience in owning/driving an RV or a TT. But, we are a family that believes in spending time together and have tent camped several times despite having a very limited window to do so in IA.

Third, we think we are about a year or two away from buying our RV but I have and continue to spend time on forums, watching walk around videos, reviews and How - To videos on youtube. We believe research is the only real free thing in this world.

Now having provided a background We have some questions - May be you can help

1. We are thinking of Class C MH - Jayco Greyhawk. We don't own a truck (don't plan to own one either) but have not seen in person or taken a test drive. My question is how do I go about asking for a test drive. A couple of RV shows we went to - the sales person did not take us seriously (may be as Asian Indians we are not convincing enough as serious buyers). Any tips here?
2. I want to flat tow my car. It weights 4100lbs and will need a flat bed trailer - I dont think GH can handle that - but feel free to suggest.
3. We are looking for new RV - after reading in the forums looks like 70K to 75K (plus taxes) is the price that most have paid depending on options/ upgrades.
4. We will rent an RV this summer - somewhere close by to start. Anything we should do to test our RV appetite?

This is already a long first post! Thank you all for taking time to look and help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Welcome!!!

1) Go to a RV Dealer that carries the Class C.....after looking over the C then ask for test drive. Dealerships deal with test drives all the time.

2) Jayco Greyhawk uses a Ford® E-450 chassis - 14,500-pound GVWR, 22,000-pound GCWR
Your vehicle and trailer would probably weigh 6500# so based on GHs GCWR you should be able to tow. The less the GH is from it's GVWR the better.

3) ????

4) Renting a Class C MH and going for a trip is best for getting an real idea on how it works for you and family, IF MH is really what you want, IF RVng is something you want to do........Rent a couple times so that you have more experience to base your decision on before you buy.

Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Welcome!!!

1) Go to a RV Dealer that carries the Class C.....after looking over the C then ask for test drive. Dealerships deal with test drives all the time.

2) Jayco Greyhawk uses a Ford® E-450 chassis - 14,500-pound GVWR, 22,000-pound GCWR
Your vehicle and trailer would probably weigh 6500# so based on GHs GCWR you should be able to tow. The less the GH is from it's GVWR the better.

3) ????

4) Renting a Class C MH and going for a trip is best for getting an real idea on how it works for you and family, IF MH is really what you want, IF RVng is something you want to do........Rent a couple times so that you have more experience to base your decision on before you buy.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the note - the 3rd point is more of a what we have found out so far. If not correct then do advise.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I don't know anything about Class C's! Hope you find the perfect one!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

FWIW And without looking most of the MH's you will see have a 5000 lb hitch rating. That will be another obstacle to 4 up towing. Upgrading the hitch may not be reasonable as the frame extension may be the problem. If you upgrade to a C+ on an MDT chassis you may have better choices but at a higher cost. OTOH you will not wear it out. ;-)

FWIW we are on our second C and looking at a short to mid sized A. It sounds like you are on a very reasonable track other than that obstacle. Your requirements fall into what the race car crowd needs so there are products out there. You might also get a good deal on a used trailer from that source as they sometimes buy small for price then upgrade so they can carry more stuff on/in the trailer as they get better off.

As far as the salesmen go shows are a good place to see a lot of units but a dealer visit with what you want will get you more personal attention. I would be surprised that any dealer would not do a test drive if you expressed interest in buying. As long as you are "looking" they are not viewing you as a customer yet. Potential customer but not somebody willing to write a check.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #6

I'd suggest you start with number (4).
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwant2rv View Post
Hello All,
4. We will rent an RV this summer - somewhere close by to start. Anything we should do to test our RV appetite?

This is already a long first post! Thank you all for taking time to look and help.
First, welcome to IRV2! Lots of friendly folks here are happy to help you out with great information.

I too would recommend that you start by renting an RV that is similar to what you may wish to purchase. That will be a great way to find out if it suits you and your family's needs. The floor plan - in the long run - will be important.

When we were looking for a class A motor home, we insisted on a test drive. Some dealers are not inclined to do so - don't take it personally - they just don't want to go through the bother of taking an RV off the lot and letting someone who may not be seriously interested drive it through traffic.

Others have and will join in with their recommendations. Welcome to IRV2!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I went to the RV show they wanted to give me a test drive but when I was upfront with them about not buying that day they were no longer interested in giving me a test drive. Find a dealer and I think you will find they are more willing to spend time with you. If not, try another dealer. I would also suggest renting first so you can get an idea what you like and don't like about the rental unit. Good luck and safe travels! Hope to see you on the road one day iwant2rv.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #10

Your 6500# car plus a trailer will be a problem for many Class C units and for quite a few Class A's. Many hitches are limited to 5000 pounds, even on some Class A rigs. Our 32' Forest River Class A was limited to 5000.

We started out in 2002 with a 1985 Class C, a 26' with no slides and a very odd interior layout. We didn't have much of an idea what RVing in the US would be like, as our only experience was with UK relatives . That vehicle turned out to be a serious mistake and we sold it after one season.

We liked our Class A, a 2002 Georgetown 325, which we bought in 2010 from the original owners. It was on a Ford F53 chassis and had two slide-outs, but its interior construction was rather crude. We did four years with it, but finally decided not to be RVers any more because of costs.

I'd strongly advise renting both Class C and Class A before deciding.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Iwant2RV,

Welcome to the forum, you have come to a great place to ask these questions.

First of all, why not buy a used one for your first rig? There are some great units out there and "IF" you don't like this hobby you don't loose as much if you decide to sell. Renting is a smart choice to eliminate this issue completely. Good idea.

With 2 young children you will be lucky if you can get them out of the thing once you buy it. This is a fun hobby. Kids tend to love camping as well as their parents. You can make a lot of good memories as a family.

Go to a RV dealership and ask to drive a Class C. They will go with you to do this. It's OK. Then try a Class A just because. See if driving both changes your mind on what you want. Some Class A's have a bunk bed slide out for the kids.

Look at PPL Motorhomes and check out the floorplans just to get an idea of where things are. Used RVs there and they have a lot of varities to look at. Just will give you some ideas of what the floorplans look like. You will start to see what interests you or works for the way you do things.

Have fun renting, watch YouTube videos on emptying the tanks, driving the RV, leveling and driving. It's all there. But mostly enjoy the time with your family. Good Luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

Thanks All ....Renting is what we want to do and we so want this weather to pass by.

Yes I am watching a lot of videos - infact its like a sleep drug for me. My daughter (8yrs) loves camping and that is the reason why we thinking of this.

beamisl - we will keep an eye on the used ones too!!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jayco are a nice unit and they stand behind there product. Good luck with your choice.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Why tow on a trailer? Everytime you move you have to take the car down, disconnect trailer and store the trailer (probably using the car). You probably have to pay extra for storing the trailer in some places or leave it on your site to take up a bunch of your space. Tow 4 down, it is so much easier. Less weight to pull also.

You say you plan to buy the RV in a year or two, trade the car in the meantime for a car that will tow 4 down. Jeeps are a very popular toad but a bunch of other cars can be towed too, it's just some need more modifications...

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote