Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
well, I knew what the OP was talking about and I'd say he did too, and the answers are fairly easy to express in plain English, but I hesitate to interrupt the flow of discussions about angels and pinheads and similar irrelevancies.
Excellent - please tell us lesser beings Tony!! Why is running a gas generator 24 hours a day necessary, or even a good idea?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, now I'm even more lost....not only by what the OP was talking about, but now by a goofy statement made by "Tony Lee". "Tony Lee" was that an attempt at a slam, if it was, it was weak and kind of sounded like something a little girl would say in a schoolyard.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #31

"sounded like something a little girl would say in a schoolyard."

I guess I'll have to accept your claimed expertise on this subject Don, because it is a bit out of my area of interest.

As for running a generator 24/7, I must have missed the post claiming that was necessary in all cases, or even in the context of the original poster's question, but I'd say it would be pretty likely that anyone determined to desert camp in the summer might want airconditioning close to 24 hours a day. I know during our few days in the Pantanal, we had the generator and the aairconditioning running any time we weren't actually driving. I figured that is why I keep carting it around.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Tony,

It would seem you have not read the entire thread. It may be worth going back and reviewing.

As near as I can tell, the OP is talking about running a 700 watt (900 watt peak) gas generator 24 hours a day. A 700 watt generator will not run air conditioning - at least none of which I am aware.

We are trying to help this fellow but are not getting much in the way of useful information and the hecklers are just making things more confusing. You say you KNOW what the OP was talking about - please share with the rest of us.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #33

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1440724899.124624.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	104955

To clarify why I wanted a solar generator???😯 Where I dry camp during the winter months in Arizona you can run a gas generator during the day. But you cannot run a gas genny at night. (Not motors allowed after dark) Quiet hours are from 9 PM to 7AM. While inverter gennys are nice. I don't need a genny with an inverter. The Tripp lite NC 1000 (picture) is designed to work specifically with generators that create dirty power. It converts to clean power and surge protects the whole RV, they are pricey but are an excellent product. However again. So again no genny at night (quiet hours). That's why I am in search of a good solar generator kit, then I don't need to fire up the 2 stroke storm cat very often. People like it quiet around here. especially at night. So Between my furnace, LED lighting and the fridge I probably don't use more than 4 amps of power in an 8 hour period. My furnace will start up on 1.5 AMPS of power, my fresh water pump about 50 watts, my fridge is 2.4 AMPs and all interior lighting is probably 25 watts. Goal Zero is severely overpriced and under powered. So 700 watts of continuous power that can last for 9 hours until the sun recharges my battery bank the next day would be for me, the perfect solution.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #34
Community Moderator

700 watts continuous for 9 hours is a LOT of power to supply from batteries.

The math is as follows:

700 watts = 58 amps of 12 volt power

9 hours x 58 amps = 525 Ah (amp hours)

Since lead acid batteries should only be discharge to 50% of their total capacity
you would need 1050 Ah battery bank capacity.

The most economical battery bank is made up of GC2 deep cycle golf cart batteries
8 of these batteries would provide 880 Ah capacity at a cost of about $800.00

650 watts (approx) of solar panels would be required to recharge in on day. Rough estimate on cost of panels and controller is $1100-$1500

Since refrigerators don't consume power at a constant rate, perhaps you can get by on less power. Many people have found that a good residential refrigerator can be powered OFF overnight and will only gain a few degrees if the door is kept shut.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
I once knew a guy who would saunter up to the old geezer table at lunch time and pose a question or situation. The question was usually semi serious and factual, but shrouded in the obscure or ridiculous; sometimes even outrageous. He would then step back and listen to the geezers huff and puff while they pontificated on what they thought they heard. Often times it turned into quite a show.

Anyone else know someone like this?
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbg II View Post
Anyone else know someone like this?
Apparently I do, now...
Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #37

Solar Generators

Maybe I'm better off sticking to my old fashioned reliable generator. I'll just get a generator baffle box to put it in, it's quiet enough already so no one will hear it anyway. It's a lot more economical than this solar Mumbo jumbo. I can run for 13 hours on 1 gallon of gas with unlimited power. This solar power fanasco sounds like a headache and not at all worthy the money. I'll just keep running smoothly on my good old reliable genny, cause I don't have to worry about being left in the dark due to a lack of power. I'll leave solar power to people who want to live by the skin of their teeth. 😴 Thanks anyway though

cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Maybe I'm better off sticking to my old fashioned reliable generator. I'll just get a generator baffle box to put it in, it's quiet enough already so no one will hear it anyway. It's a lot more economical than this solar Mumbo jumbo. I can run for 13 hours on 1 gallon of gas with unlimited power. This solar power fanasco sounds like a headache and not at all worthy the money. I'll just keep running smoothly on my good old reliable genny, cause I don't have to worry about being left in the dark due to a lack of power. I'll leave solar power to people who want to live by the skin of their teeth. �� Thanks anyway though

Maybe I'm better off sticking to my old fashioned reliable generator.
I though you just bought it ?

I'll just get a generator baffle box to put it in, Where ?

it's quiet enough already so no one will hear it anyway. At 89 dba ?

I can run for 13 hours on 1 gallon of gas with unlimited power. Unlimited 700 watts ?

I don't have to worry about being left in the dark due to a lack of power Until the generator dies, then no power

I'll leave solar power to people who want to live by the skin of their teeth.

A well designed solar system, harvesting free energy, is much more reliable then the least expensive, 2 stroke, china built, generator on the market.

Other then that, I agree.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #39

Now look what you guys did.
The gent op wants 700 watts available during the night but not the whole quiet time. This is s very small and easily covered request. Is it not?
He already has a power conditioner. He can use the gen in the day to make up extra.
He does seem to know his power needs during the night. AZ sure has some mean sun power waiting to be collected and it sounds like a simple system may fit his needs. Many of you have giant systems with mppt controllers and the works. You post your systems and the total cost and it's sorta intimidating for a new guy. Especially compared to a prepackaged solar generator. If we start back at the " solar generator" request. which is what a solar panel, controller, battery bank is And design one to fit the OP's needs we may get a convert.
Randy
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #40

I have been quietly sitting on the sidelines watching as this thread reached what has become a fairly predictable conclusion here on IRV2--eg, good people, trying to help, but hopelessly lost between "fact and opinion," with a few personality disorders mixed in, just to keep things "interesting." My limited research over the years on solar power is pretty well summerized in post#34--400 to 600 watts of solar panels combined with 600 to 800 amp/hrs of battery storage will give you good capability to stay viable over night in temperate climates--eg, Arizona in the winter time.

My personal experience with winter nights in Arizona is limted to a DP with propane furnance on part-time to keep the chill off [55-60 degrees], residential fridge, and an hour or two of lights and TV after quiet time is declared at the camp. Given this scenario, my 660 amp/hr [330 useable] of battery storage does well over night but does require 2-3 hours of genny [7500 Onan/100+amp charger] to recharge. PS I have 100watts of token solar cells.

Assuming the math in post #34 is accuarate--and I think it is--can some tell me [mathematically] what combination of solar panels and generator recharge time would be required to recover 300 amp/hrs given a typical sunny Feb day in Quartzsite?
PS--despite several claims to the contrary, I have dismissed any ideas that someone run their 12-15 amp AC unit all day on just 400 to 500 watts of solar??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #41

Personality disorders. LOL.
I'm a newbie in this solar arena but a fast learner. I just installed my small DIY system. Only 100 w panel but 1000 w inverter.
I don't have a great real world feel for actual power demands yet. I've always just turned on the switch and paid the power company. I am eager to learn this stuff.
In attempt to get this thread back on track.

200 w heater in bathroom
240 w refrigerator going to cycle on off so total is less than 240 w?
Occasional 500 w microwave
300 w starting furnace but only 1.5 a blower.
Willing to run generator during day so wants charge controller to use both gen and solar to put power into battery bank.

We need to know how much battery space you have available? Is your current inverter located close to the battery? What size is it?
One more thing. A good clean generator doesn't need a power conditioner.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #42
Community Moderator

Solar Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Now look what you guys did.
The gent op wants 700 watts available during the night but not the whole quiet time. This is s very small and easily covered request. Is it not?
He already has a power conditioner. He can use the gen in the day to make up extra.
He does seem to know his power needs during the night. AZ sure has some mean sun power waiting to be collected and it sounds like a simple system may fit his needs. Many of you have giant systems with mppt controllers and the works. You post your systems and the total cost and it's sorta intimidating for a new guy. Especially compared to a prepackaged solar generator. If we start back at the " solar generator" request. which is what a solar panel, controller, battery bank is And design one to fit the OP's needs we may get a convert.
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
To clarify why I wanted a solar generator???😯 So 700 watts of continuous power that can last for 9 hours until the sun recharges my battery bank the next day would be for me, the perfect solution.
Elkski,
The above quote is from the OP. My post in #34 is specifically tailored to his request. I can't help it if the equipment to do what he wants costs $2000 (before install). He could buy a Honda EU2000i and try to silence it more, but he would still get in trouble with his neighbours for violating "quiet time".....so the $2000 solar system and batteries is the only solution to his problem.

😃
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, solar