Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

Solar panel attachment without roof studs

I have a 2018 Forester 2291S. I need to install solar panels and have no roof studs to attach to. I have a pebble textured fiberglass roof that is backed with 1/8" Luan with foam core under that. Aside from the occasional "backer" of 1/8" metal where the mfg needed extra support, there are no studs. The pebble surface of the fiberglass makes me think 3M VHB tape will not do the job as it easily would on a smooth roof. Has anyone dealt with this and solved it? Thanks, Michael
cactus bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

I had solar panels on a previous coach. I used "blind rubber nuts" See link.
You drill a hole in your roof then insert the rubber nuts and they compress when you tighten the bolt. I also added a generous amount of Dicor sealant round each rubber nut.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...28738130&psc=1
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

[QUOTE=LJowdy;4636916]I had solar panels on a previous coach. I used "blind rubber nuts" See link.
You drill a hole in your roof then insert the rubber nuts and they compress when you tighten the bolt. I also added a generous amount of Dicor sealant round each rubber nut.

What exactly were you dealing with as a roof. Was there a thin layer of fiberglass and a thin layer of Luan like mine?
Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just attached panels this week. I've done them the same way several times with no issues. I use butyl rubber tape, just like they seal windows with, under each bracket. It will stick and conform to the roof, while leaving a waterproof seal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fabral-1...YM4w&gclsrc=ds

Once the panels are in place with the tape, I use stainless steel screws (pre drilled) and screw the brackets to the roof. When all done, I cover the brackets and screws with Dicor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #5

The roof on the Tour was similar to what you have. I've seen these used on a whole variety of different coaches and different roofs.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I just attached panels this week. I've done them the same way several times with no issues. I use butyl rubber tape, just like they seal windows with, under each bracket. It will stick and conform to the roof, while leaving a waterproof seal.

Once the panels are in place with the tape, I use stainless steel screws (pre drilled) and screw the brackets to the roof. When all done, I cover the brackets and screws with Dicor.
Was your roof the pebble textured kind? Also, with respect, the butyl tape has low adhesive properties, but makes a fine hole sealer. I would vote for the VHB tape myself rather than Butyl. Dicor over it all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response. Michael
Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
The roof on the Tour was similar to what you have. I've seen these used on a whole variety of different coaches and different roofs.
Thanks for the post. Any specific advice on installing these fasteners? These expansion nuts are offered in various sizes. What diameter did you use? Would you advise using the VHB tape under the feet also, along with the expansion nuts, then Dicor self leveling over all?
This kind of attachment seems scary to me, but as it is a proven method I have to consider it. Anyone else with experience who can and will chime in would be appreciated. Thanks for the help LJowdy. Michael
Old 02-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

I have heard debate over using either coarse thread stainless screws or fine thread ones for securing into what is essentially a 1/8" Luan layer with a very thin fiberglass layer on top. I have gotten both answers, coarse and fine, with arguments for both. IF screws are used in this roof, what thread? Thanks, Michael
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Two of the roofs that I installed panels on were fiberglass and one was aluminum (Monaco Diplomat). Butyl rubber may not have the best sticking qualities, but you'll cuss trying to remove it later. Remember, not much will stick to your style roof. You're looking for something that seals over the dimples. Neither fastener, the screw or the tape is there to secure the bracket individually. The combination of the tape and screws, topped with Dicor are a system. I find the coarse threads are less likely to strip out in this application. I use a screw gun to apply after pre drilling and then do the final tighten by hand. My first two installations NEVER came loose or leaked. My installation this week saw more rain in three days than California typically sees in three months.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #10

Thanks Don for the info. Sounds like you have the system dialed in, and proved it with the current weather pattern we in Arizona are sharing with you. Thanks for taking the time to post. Michael
Old 02-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #11

You asked which expansion nuts I used. I found ones that use a 5/16" bolt. Drilled holes in the roof, pushed in the expansion nuts then tightened the bolts. I also applied a liberal amount of Dicor. NO LEAKS, ever
Old 02-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
You asked which expansion nuts I used. I found ones that use a 5/16" bolt. Drilled holes in the roof, pushed in the expansion nuts then tightened the bolts. I also applied a liberal amount of Dicor. NO LEAKS, ever
Thanks for the info. I wonder if your plywood is more substantial than my 1/8" Luan. I suspect your very nice coach might have 1/4" or even 1/2" ply, which would make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. Can you remember if the ply was 1/8"? Sorry to seem to nit-pick, but the stakes are high and every detail is quite important to the solution. My problem is the danged 1/8" Luan. Thanks, Michael
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #13

I did not want to drill holes in my roof for my solar panel install so I used 1/4󫶚" pieces of aluminum and put a 1/4" machine screws through it to install the solar feet to and used 3M VHB 4952 to stick the plates to the roof and then covered them with 3" Eternabond tape and then tightened the solar panel feet to the aluminum plates with lock washers and nuts. But recently I found these Renogy tilt brackets, https://www.renogy.com/renogy-rv-tilt-mount-brackets/, that I would use next time. I would VHB them down and cover with Eternabond tape. With the much larger surface area they would be even more secure and Eternabond tape sticks to anything. I have seen that others only use Eternabond with 100% success. I just like redundancy in adhesion types. I like the tilt mounts because in the winter the sun is much lower so I could tilt my panel up towards the sun and get better efficiency for charging my batteries while in winter storage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sandy's 200 watt Solar Install.pdf (2.43 MB, 74 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I did not want to drill holes in my roof for my solar panel install so I used 1/4󫶚" pieces of aluminum and put a 1/4" machine screws through it to install the solar feet to and used 3M VHB 4952 to stick the plates to the roof and then covered them with 3" Eternabond tape and then tightened the solar panel feet to the aluminum plates with lock washers and nuts. But recently I found these Renogy tilt brackets, https://www.renogy.com/renogy-rv-tilt-mount-brackets/, that I would use next time. I would VHB them down and cover with Eternabond tape. With the much larger surface area they would be even more secure and Eternabond tape sticks to anything. I have seen that others only use Eternabond with 100% success. I just like redundancy in adhesion types. I like the tilt mounts because in the winter the sun is much lower so I could tilt my panel up towards the sun and get better efficiency for charging my batteries while in winter storage.
I did the same and am very happy. I used the same urethane material that holds windshields in your cars and pickups, very strong, yet pliable. Just be very sure to clean both surfaces very good with alcohol and leave it to set up for 24 hours.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, roof, solar, solar panel