Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Solar Panel Charging My Battery ???

I've got a small, maybe 8x18, solar panel on my roof that I guess is suppose to put a trickle charge into my batteries. If this is true how do I measure this trickle? And is my chassis or house batteries getting trickled?
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
I've got a small, maybe 8x18, solar panel on my roof that I guess is suppose to put a trickle charge into my batteries. If this is true how do I measure this trickle? And is my chassis or house batteries getting trickled?
There might be an LED that indicates a charge status and I believe that your cell is charging your coach batteries.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
paz

The solar panels that provide a trickle charge usually charge the chassis battery(ies) to keep it (them) from being discharged during storage. Unlike the house batteries that usually have a disconnect switch, the chassis battery(ies) are constantly subjected to small loads from things like the computers and control modules that store information for the engine, transmission, etc.).
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
paz,
Your reply brings another question. If I have my house battery main disconnect switch in the off position does the solar panel still provide a charge?
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My coach is older but there is a green LED in the battery compartment that is on when the sun is up. It only charges the house battery bank and works when the batteries are turned off or on. On sunny days it will show a good charge even with the switch in the on position.

LEN
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
on my 99 pace arrow, the rooftop charge panel runs into the rv custom products black box under the hood. It's connected to the shassis battery, before the disconnect switch.

It is supposed to put a charge into the chassis battery even when the disconnect is tripped. My battery goes dead in extended storage anyway.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

Get a volt meter and test. Disconnect the house and chassis batteries and don't have the 110v AC supply connected. Test for solar panel output voltage at the respective battery leads with the battery disconnect switch on and off. Test at the solar fuse or circuit breaker. You should see at least 14 volts (if you have a controller) or 18 or more volts if no controller. Small panels most often don't have a controller.
In my opinion, those small 10 watt and less panels may produce enough current on a clear day at the equator during the equinox to keep a battery charged, but good luck otherwise. I have found my 50 watt panel is adequate with the low winter sun in Colorado.