Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

I agree that things can fail, but by all accounts nothing had, and everyone I spoke with was stumped as well. The system is a 12v system and the controller was set at 13.4v (bulk) on new flooded cell golf cart batteries. I can only assume it was a cloudy winter, and the Xantrex C40 just followed them down day by day. At that time I had 400w of off grid panels(17~ volt) which are in use today and have not changed angle/location. After the failure I sent the Xantrex in and it checked out as fine, and I sold it anyway. I got the batteries checked out as well and they were fine(all things considered). They were obviously never going to be 100% again, so after some considerable steps to get them back at a good voltage I sold them as well. The next year with the same type of batteries(only new and 4 more of them) and an Outback FM-80 with the same panels yielded zero issues that winter. I've since added another 400watts of panels and everything is going on 4 years old with zero issues. The new setup can go unmaintained for about a year before I have to add a miniscule amount of water to the batteries. Perhaps there are better PWM's than the Xantrex C40 out now, but even after seeing the (lack of) power it was capable of putting into my batteries with 400 watts of panels compared to the MPPT, I'll never buy another PWM on that fact alone.

My cabin is very similar to an RV and the longest I have stayed there with the current setup is 7 days and the batteries never even dropped below 12.5 during that time. It has a 40k RV LP heater, 100gal tank with 12v water pump, LP water heater, Residential refrigerator, Custom HTPC, Yamaha Receiver, Polk 5.1 surround system, 40" LED TV, outdoor and indoor LED and CFL lights, LED's in the trees, MP3 player and 12v Pioneer head unit running outdoor speakers in the trees, amplifier with (2) 12" subwoofers...

My future RV setup will have about 600w of panels(will go higher voltage this time around) on the roof, an Outback FM-60, an Outback VFX2812 inverter/charger and at least 800ah of batteries. With that I figure I could pretty much boondock a week without even needing to start the genny.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not a fan or xantrex, likely won't convert to them under the Schneider name either.

My current setup is 600 watts of solar on a Tristar pwm 60. To 680 Ah batter bank. Then a magnum msh3012m with arc remote ags and battery monitor. I run the gunny ~30 min a month to exercise the dyno. I rarely use it to carry any load (7.5kw diesel). We use crock pots, electric skittles and the Kureg regularly.

I have dual alternators on the 6.8l Cummins for a total of 300 amps. It's cheaper to run the main at 1200 rpm then run the gen to power the magnum 125 amp built in charger. I think I have only done that 3-4 times in the last year.

My cabin has 200 watts of solar, 200 ah battery charging on the original mark 15 on/off controller. After adjusting it for proper output voltage it's worked flawlessly for more then 10 years.

I do have a full radiant system at a house I built out with flex 80 controllers. They are nice, over complicated and expensive. If it wasn't for being able to hook the whole system together I would have used Tristar mppt controllers.

Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Back the OP 100 watts would do what you asked 200 for sure. But that being said and if you boondocking a bit at the cost of adding more panels once in the process of install adding another 300-600 watts would insure a quieter if not totally quiet experience.

LEN
Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAtCoAsTeR View Post
I agree that things can fail, but by all accounts nothing had, and everyone I spoke with was stumped as well. The system is a 12v system and the controller was set at 13.4v (bulk) on new flooded cell golf cart batteries.
Why is the bulk set at 13.4V? Most flooded battery manufactures recommend bulk and acceptance at 14.7V, float at 13.2. I have my solar controller set as above.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #19

Thanks for catching that chboone, I meant float, too bad I can't edit the post anymore. I have my current setup bulking at 14.4, and floating at 13.4, so your voltages are right on par with normal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Why is the bulk set at 13.4V? Most flooded battery manufactures recommend bulk and acceptance at 14.7V, float at 13.2. I have my solar controller set as above.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I assumed that's what you meant, just wanted clarification. I recently installed 520 watts of solar on my MOHO, last week was the first real test boondocking for 5 days. I am very happy with the performance of the system. I only have two GC-2 currently going to add four more, wasting to much sun light. In morning batteries were at around 70% by noon they were in float.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar