Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #1

I know, I know...but we bought the MH used and 'as is.' So here's the question:

We have a 1995 Safari Sahara. On the roof are two solar panels: One is approximately 1'x 1', and the other is approximately 2'x4'. There is no paperwork in the 'paperwork box' that came with the coach. Sooooo...how does one know if the solar panels are actually hooked up and working? We've never had a battery issue (even during the 6 months when the MH is stored...though we do start both the generator and diesel engine monthly, and allow them to run for 1 1/2-2 hours), so is it possible that these panels are working?

I know that you'll want more information...but truly, I'm clueless. Just looking for a little guidance.

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #2

I know, I know...but we bought the MH used and 'as is.' So here's the question:

We have a 1995 Safari Sahara. On the roof are two solar panels: One is approximately 1'x 1', and the other is approximately 2'x4'. There is no paperwork in the 'paperwork box' that came with the coach. Sooooo...how does one know if the solar panels are actually hooked up and working? We've never had a battery issue (even during the 6 months when the MH is stored...though we do start both the generator and diesel engine monthly, and allow them to run for 1 1/2-2 hours), so is it possible that these panels are working?

I know that you'll want more information...but truly, I'm clueless. Just looking for a little guidance.

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The easiest way to determine if hte solar panels are charging is to have all other power sources off, cover the panels and check the battery voltage. Deplete the battery voltage some. Uncover the panels and while in good sunlight check the battery voltage; it should increase if the panels are charging. I would think the smal panel is fo rthe chassis battery bank and the larger one is for the house but this does not neccessarily have to be so.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #4

I will assume a few things. The small solar panel is probably a 5 or 10 watt panel that is connected to the chassis batteries and it was probably factory installed. You may have a red light inside that glows when it is charging. The larger solar panel may have been added by the former owner and I assume it charges the house batteries. From the size I will guess it puts out about 100-120 watts or 6-7 amps in bright sunlight. It should be connected to a charge controller before going to the batteries.

As mentioned above, with the batteries slightly discharged and a sunny sky, cover the solar panels and put a meter on the batteries. Note the readings. Then uncover the solar panels and note the reading again. If the panels are charging the voltage will increase.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #5

a 2x4' panel usually kicks out 80 to 100+ watts. Most coaches equipped with solar panels have a charge controller with an LCD voltage read out, anyway ours does. If you don't have one, then RV Wizard gives the best advice to check whether they're charging. You'll need a volt meter to check voltage at battery terminals. If you find the solar panel is working it might be wise to invest in a solar charge controller which safely regulates the charge to your batteries.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #6

Louie,

The small panel is connected directy to the starting batteries. It probably does not work. Safari mounted them directly to the roof and most got water in them. If not, the wiring from this panel goes to the fuse blocks under the front opening under the windshield. It is labled on the fuse block that is the chassis battery block. U-hook it and see if you have voltage on the wires from the panel.

The larger panel is a 75W panel and it goes to the controller mounted in the 3 fuse block areas. The controler is about 2 1/2"x4". It has a red LED on it and the LED lights when the panel is putting out more voltage than the house batteries are at. This panel is rated at about 4.5 amps. It will not bring your house batteries up as your battery bank is too large. Basicly it will keep your house bank up while in storage. If the sun is shining and the red LED is on, the panel is working.

Jim
'96 Safari 3540, 300 CAT, 520W Solar.