Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sold my 91 Holiday Rambler but . . .

Last Sunday I drove my 91 Holiday Rambler to a consignment auction and sold it for several thousand less than I would have hoped to get based on all the improvements I've done to the unit over the last 2 years. It was a 45 mile drive to the auction and it drove fine. Motor sounded fine to me.

The person who bought the unit has contacted me saying he's hearing a knock in the engine. Thinks its a rod. For the life of me I've never heard such a sound. Even the mechanics who have been around the vehicle have never mentioned such a sound. The buyer did start and run the motor at the auction, although wasn't able to take it for a spin.

The buyer thinks I am hiding something. I told him I swear that the engine was solid and I never heard any engine knocking. None, zero, zip, nada. Buyer doesn't believe me. I've never represented anything falsely in my life but I feel bad if that's actually the case.

So far the buyer isn't asking for anything, just complaining. He definitely bought it right. Damn I feel bad tho because if I would have known any issues about the motor, I would have disclosed it. Obviously the Holiday Rambler was sold 'as is' (at least I hope the auctioneer wrote that on the bill of sale). What's the right thing to do if he asks for anything else?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
What's the right thing to do if he asks for anything else?
Hang up! They bought it as is where is. If it broke in half leaving the lot they own both halves!
Our ISX dropped a valve after only 2,600 miles. I would have loved to have the dealer pay for it but it was an "as is" sale. There was no way they could have known that a valve was going bad.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Consignment auction... Sounds like as is where is to me.

I wonder if the guy has any experience to know what a rod would sound like. It took me about 15 seconds after the air compressor kicked on in my new-to-me DP to figure out that the clanking sound is normal.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've been to dozens of consignment auctions and they always have a long list that they read at the beginning including a disclaimer "as is" with no guarantee's. They do list any defects of an item if known.

If you did not have a problem with the rig prior to the auction I would not worry about it. "AS IS WHERE IS" is what it is. They got a good price and should be satisfied with what they got.

PS. In 2009 I bought a 2005 Jeep at Auction. Nothing was disclosed at the auction but I could tell it had been in an accident, front drivers side. Other then that I couldn't see any problems but I didn't drive the Jeep. When I first got in it to drive it home the dash warning light came on, message about drivetrain. After taking it to the dealer they said it was a bad solenoid valve in the front diff. I changed myself. Never complained back to the auction since I understood "AS IS WHERE IS"
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

How did he even get your number?

I understand the feeling guilty, there's probably not many people left that would. But honestly if he really got it for several thousand less, he can get it repaired and still have a good motorhome for the money.

I bought a 1990 Class C, I pull a trailer and the transmission was shuddering, I paid to have it rebuilt. It's still a well looked after motorhome, now with a new transmission, I certainly don't blame the previous owners.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Typically, used vehicles are sold "As Is" unless otherwise stated.

Was the buyer told something that would make him believe there was some sort of warranty? Probably not!

It's unreasonable for the buyer to be contacting you seeking any kind of relief. Even if its just him trying to burden you with some of his aggravation. I think if he called again I would direct him to the nearest RV Dealership where he can purchase a brand new unit complete with warranty.

In any event, this one isn't on you. Just the luck of the draw. Sometimes happens that way. ... and the older the unit, the bigger the risk! ...and therefore the lower the price.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Hang up! They bought it as is where is. If it broke in half leaving the lot they own both halves!
I could not have said it better.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Engine noise?

Probably normal piston noise thats more noticable when cold.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
How did he even get your number?

I understand the feeling guilty, there's probably not many people left that would. But honestly if he really got it for several thousand less, he can get it repaired and still have a good motorhome for the money.

I bought a 1990 Class C, I pull a trailer and the transmission was shuddering, I paid to have it rebuilt. It's still a well looked after motorhome, now with a new transmission, I certainly don't blame the previous owners.

Steve
The buyer knew my name and in this era of social media it's not too hard to find anyone. But he definitely bought it right that if he has to put a little work into the motor, he'd still have a great vehicle at a great price. I've done everything else to it.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #10
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I'm surprised that someone who shops auctions doesn't know the landscape better. I'd be leery of a scam if I received a call like that.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Probably normal piston noise thats more noticable when cold.
I just ran into one of my mechanic. He said that motor will make noise when its cold. I never really noticed but whatever. I'm not taking it back . . .
Old 05-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
caveat emptor
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Tell him it wasn't knocking when you dropped it off.

Offer him to take it off his hands for 20% LESS than what he paid. That should make him quit calling.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
Tell him it wasn't knocking when you dropped it off.

Offer him to take it off his hands for 20% LESS than what he paid. That should make him quit calling.
That's the best response I have seen. As for the rest of you, this is a tough crowd!
I don't care who is legally right, I just don't need any enemies in this world, and regardless of the price paid, if an item didn't even make it home without a major failure, I would give them their money back.

Tags
holiday rambler