Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

have someone follow you and look to see what is going on.

Have some radios to allow communication, check all 4 corners

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Come on guys there is no such think as breaking in a tire with a few miles to stop it swaying. Where did that tale come from? I hAve those tires on my Sig and they were great from the start. That is like saying the sidewalls on a Michelin tire are too thin so it rolls. Where do all these "tire engineers" come from that know better than the tire manufacture.

Mike

This "tire engineer" got his knowledge from being an OTR owner operator. When you buy new tires it just does it until you put a few miles on them. Buying used tires you won't have this feeling.

Jack r
Tire engieer

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Then please explain to me what on a tire that lasts 100k miles changes in a few miles. Nothing. The only thing that is documented is that tires get better handling at 50% tread wear because the treads don't flex as much but nothing after a few miles or even a few hundred miles.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
laj

put 8 new mich on mine and not a problem at all.
every time i put 32 on my truck, no problem unless the tread separates. wonder what speed you should break those tires in at, less then 30 for first 50 miles, or half throttle. haven't been able to find that in the owners manual.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #19

Keep in mind ALL tire load/inflation charts reflect the minimum recommended air pressure for the corresponding load, not necessarily the optimum pressure. Every such chart I've ever read states that very fact.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Then please explain to me what on a tire that lasts 100k miles changes in a few miles. Nothing. The only thing that is documented is that tires get better handling at 50% tread wear because the treads don't flex as much but nothing after a few miles or even a few hundred miles.

Mike

I think we're saying the same thing, You say flex I say sway. I also agree you don't get the flex/swaying feeling after a few miles.

jack r
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
X2!!
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar issue as Two Sides when I replaced my OE Goodyear's with Yokohama's. 2000 miles later, the tail-wagging-the-dog syndrome remained. Yokohama was kind enough to offer me an 80% refund, but I was out the cost of labor (the tire store refused to work with me). I replaced the Yoko's with Michelin's and problem solved. I noticed an immediate difference, no break in period as some have suggested. For some reason my coach didn't like the Yoko's,

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have worn out many sets of new tires on log trucks. All different brands, and had a set of Michelin deep lug tires that handled as described above. A Michelin rep was called and came out and and went for a ride. We decided to run them for a few miles and see what transpired. After about 500 or 600 miles they straightened out and performed as they should. We had that happen on one of our other trucks and the other five had no problem with all the same tires. Anomalies do happen with everything. I would ask your dealer to get Michelin involved and see what they say.
By the way I spent 10 years as a heavy earthmover and truck tire repair and retread man. I was certified by Firestone and Michelin to repair and adjust their products.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Don't want to start a tire fight but I know my GoodYear tires have less sway that the Michelins I took of. I did notice an immediate improvement in handling. Plus I was tired of zipper blow outs. The Michlin tires were so bad I removed them after replacing three and destroyed the tires. I was afraid someone would get them and mount them because they were almost new. My son owns a heavy haul trucking co (South Western Trucking) and (Hinkle Interstate Tire) in Jackson Georgia we drilled them and sent with scrap tires. I will never run a Michelin tire again. I'm lucky we did not get in a bad accident and Michelin would not do a thing about the zipper blow outs. Two sets of Goodyears two motorhomes later and never a problem.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Some are greatly misinformed on the cause of zipper flats or what is also called zipper rupture. Or using the incorrect analysis of their tire failure. The Rubber Manufactures Association and all tire companies including Goodyear and Michelin (and I am not talking about the local guy at the tire store) will tell you that zipper flats/rupture can only be caused by the tire being damaged, under inflated or overloaded. A zipper flat/rupture is NOT caused by a defective tire. Please read this Michelin Demo - Truck Tire Service Manual Also you can read the two attachments below
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tire Digest.pdf (140.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Zipper Flat Tire Inspection.pdf (717.1 KB, 18 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I agree my tires that came from the factory were Michelin the ones that blew out on me all three and in a very short period of time, all on the rear thank God. I was told by Michelin to keep them at full pressure after the first blow out 100 PSI that is where i gauged the tires. Michelin was having a lot of problems with the RV tires at that time and there was a lot of talk on line of Michelin RV tire Zipper blow outs. I put two new tires on the front and The same tire same brand number they had changed the pressure from 100 PSI to 110 PSI I was shocked as I had a lot of communication with Michelin due to the problems I was having. So I was never under inflated, did not damage, was going by the pressure recommended by Michelin, and operating my motorhome with very dangerous tires. Proof the GoodYears were on the same coach for ove 60,000 miles without a problem. My conclusion was the tires were not rated high enough for the weight of my Winnebago Journey. When I put the GoodYear tires on my Winnebago I went up one size and inflated according to the manufactures specified pressure and everything went well and eventually i was able to drive without white knuckles. Did not want to start a tire war but it is what it is.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Different blow outs for different folks.......I'm not sure you'll find one person out there with any brand that hasn't had problems with a particular brand of tire. If my Michelins, Goodyear, Toyos, etc blew out on me on the road I'd be the first to tell everyone how rotten those tires were. Fact is....there are no real facts. Could've been factory defect, under inflated, over inflated, loose lugs, alignment, shocks...there just isn't any way to truly tell anyone what tire to buy and be 100% assured through your recommendation that nobody will ever have a problem. So, weigh your coach (all four sides) and use factory inflation recommendations for whatever brand of tire is your choice. And just know you will never have 100% peace of mind. All man made devices are prone to failure. I truly believe unless you evaluate your own vehicle weight and use correct PSI's for that weight, nobody here can give you accurate information...only the brand of tire they won't buy again.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Different blow outs for different folks....... All man made devices are prone to failure. I truly believe unless you evaluate your own vehicle weight and use correct PSI's for that weight, nobody here can give you accurate information...only the brand of tire they won't buy again.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires