Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

SOS!!!!! New Michelin tires

Bought new Michelin XZA2 275/70R22.5LRJ running (111lbs presssre) tires 500 miles ago . 40' DP. Had Goodyear before replacing and ran (112lbs pressure. ) I have had the rig weighed so I know what my weighs are. My PROBLEM is when I'm going down the road 62mph the rearend sways so bad that I am scared to death ! The dealer said that it would take a few miles to seat in but this is RIDICULUS !!!!!! Can anyone help with suggestions ???? My wife refuses to ride anymore.... Here's my weights Front: 5675 Rear: 18,660

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Two Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never heard of tires being seated in perhaps some one else has. Possible lugs not tight? just a guess. I've always had a better ride with newer tires when installed. Hopefully someone can help. Good luck.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is very possible that you have a "bad" tire that was manufactured that way. Not a very likely thing, but it does happen. It should have been picked up when the tires were balanced. They were balanced, right?

I'd ask for an inspection and watch them balance the tires.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Sides View Post
Bought new Michelin XZA2 275/70R22.5LRJ running (111lbs presssre) tires 500 miles ago . 40' DP. Had Goodyear before replacing and ran (112lbs pressure. ) I have had the rig weighed so I know what my weighs are. My PROBLEM is when I'm going down the road 62mph the rearend sways so bad that I am scared to death ! The dealer said that it would take a few miles to seat in but this is RIDICULUS !!!!!! Can anyone help with suggestions ???? My wife refuses to ride anymore.... Here's my weights Front: 5675 Rear: 18,660
One issue you have is you are running your pressure too high at all wheel positions. The steer axle is not too far off. 105 pounds will carry your weight so 111 is certainly in an acceptable range. The drive axle tires can carry over 20k at 90 psi. Drop your pressure back there to 95-100 psi & see if your handling improves. Have you changed the way your coach is loaded or do you have anything heavy hanging on the back? Your weight distribution appears to be pretty heavy on the back.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

This is old news, but you need to get your coach weighed at all 4 corners and then adjust your tires per the Michelin recommended tire chart. Using inflations from the past and a different manufacturer's recommendations is not something I would do. Although you may have a rim seating or alignment issue at back, it appears that your tires are overinflated, especially the rears, and that can seriously effect the handling characteristics of a radial tire. Too much air pressure pulls the tire edges further up from the road and actually dimiishes the amount of rubber or traction available....hence sway and handling problems. I suspect you are at least 5-10 lbs or so high on the rear, and that could easily be the problem. Too high on the front won't help either. A few pounds on a radial tire can make a very noticeable diiference in most cases. It did on mine....

Please let us know how you make out....thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Once your tires get some mileage on them 1-2k the sway feeling will stop
All big tires do the same thing.

jack r
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Two Sides,
First consider what Steve Ownby posted. I have the same side tires as you. I am 19K+ on the drive axle and run 90 PSI per Michelin inflation table. The front is about 11.5K and I run 100 PSI.

If you try this and it does not work, the bad tire idea posted by Wayne M should be checked.

I have my tires balanced when installed + Centramatics are installed on all wheels.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is'nt 5670lbs awfull light for for the front of a 40' DP
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 96 Wideglide,
My assumption is the front weight quoted was for one side. That would make the OP's front axle around 11-12K. That weight is about right.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

He may have quoted one side only for the front, but the rear weight appears to be the axle total. Why state the front and rear differently? It would be helpful if Two Sides could verify what those weights really are.

I've heard of people experiencing a "run in" time for new tires, but not often. It's never happened with any of mine.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post

jack r
that is correct
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Come on guys there is no such think as breaking in a tire with a few miles to stop it swaying. Where did that tale come from? I hAve those tires on my Sig and they were great from the start. That is like saying the sidewalls on a Michelin tire are too thin so it rolls. Where do all these "tire engineers" come from that know better than the tire manufacture.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Sides View Post
Bought new Michelin XZA2 275/70R22.5LRJ running (111lbs presssre) tires 500 miles ago . 40' DP. Had Goodyear before replacing and ran (112lbs pressure. ) I have had the rig weighed so I know what my weights are. My PROBLEM is when I'm going down the road 62mph the rearend sways so bad that I am scared to death ! The dealer said that it would take a few miles to seat in but this is RIDICULUS !!!!!! Can anyone help with suggestions ???? My wife refuses to ride anymore.... Here's my weights Front: 5675 Rear: 18,660
I have those same tires on the rear of our DSDP and about the same weight. One and a half years old, maybe 5,000 miles on them. According to the Michelin weight/pressure charts I can run 85 psi but I run 90. I don't have a sway problem. Maybe you have too much pressure?

I have 305/70's on the front and run them at 105 psi.

According to Cummins tires take 35-40,000 miles before they give the best fuel mileage, but I've never seen anything about tires needing to break in so they ride/steer right.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post

jack r
My new Toyo's never caused any sway when new, in fact the ride was better than the old Michelin's from day one.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires