Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #1

I have a 2006 Alfa See Ya and just recently my wife and I have heard a new sound that sounds like either a relay or breaker trying to reset. We have walked the coach (inside and out) and the sound appears to becoming from general area of the chassis batteries.
We are parked in San Diego, full hookups (50 amp service). I have disconnected the slide out to the batteries and it still continues. It is most noticeable in the morning, tapers off in the afternoon and then again in the evening.
All batteries have been checked, water level good (although I have not checked amps while charging, don't know how ). I do have a surge protector in use and there is no change in that area.
We are at a loss as to what it might be, as it appears to have no impact on the shore power provided. My panel continues to reflect a float charge in progress.
Any suggestions or recommendations as to what is causing this would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #2

I have a 2006 Alfa See Ya and just recently my wife and I have heard a new sound that sounds like either a relay or breaker trying to reset. We have walked the coach (inside and out) and the sound appears to becoming from general area of the chassis batteries.
We are parked in San Diego, full hookups (50 amp service). I have disconnected the slide out to the batteries and it still continues. It is most noticeable in the morning, tapers off in the afternoon and then again in the evening.
All batteries have been checked, water level good (although I have not checked amps while charging, don't know how ). I do have a surge protector in use and there is no change in that area.
We are at a loss as to what it might be, as it appears to have no impact on the shore power provided. My panel continues to reflect a float charge in progress.
Any suggestions or recommendations as to what is causing this would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Bob

Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #3

If your motorhome has a relay that connects the chassis and house batteries together for charging that is probably what you hear clicking. If it only clicks ever now and then I wouldn't worry about it. But if it sounds like a machine gun you need to resolve the problem.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bob, Norm is correct in his assumption of the sound is the charging relay. Are the chassis batteries maintenance free? If so you may want to have the connections and batteries themselves checked. It sounds like the chassis batteries are draining down and the charging circuit closes the relay. It could be something is left on pulling power on the chassis side too. Keep us posted as to what you find. Thanks.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #5

The battery control center in our coach has a 200 amp isolator relay that engages with an audible click when voltage from any charging source reaches 13.2 volts and charges both house and engine battery. It disengages with when voltage drops below 13 volts and isolates the house & engine battery from each another. Of course ours is a gas rig. The sound could also be from an automatic circuit breaker opening & closing as a result of an excessive load or short in the circuit.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #6

Thank you for the responses. I have checked all the obvious knobs, buttons and switches. All are in the off position.
My next move is to bend my body in the middle and crawl into a tiny hole to see what color is being displayed on the maintenance free batteries. I don't have a slide out tray to make things easy.
The clicking averages four times an hour. At first it was every ten minutes or so. I then did the disconnect on the slides. I have yet to do the disconnect on the chassis batteries. Should I?
Will post the results of body bending to see what condition the chassis batteries are in.
Thanks again for your help.

Bob
Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #7

Completed the body bending evolution only to discover there is not a site glass for the color code (at least I couldn't find one). They are Alliance batteries, installed by Freightliner. I sent them an inquiry about the age of the batteries. The coach sat on a dealer lot for a year, so I think that might have had something to do with the conditiion of all the batteries. Rechecked the house/inverter batteries and they are all up (water), so will see if I can find a meter and try to read them that way.
Bob
Old 12-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #8

If you have a solar collector panel,the change in the frequency of the click may be a reflection of increased battery voltage as the collector "comes on stream" in the morning,thus reducing the need for a charge from the convertor-just a thought.Still doesn't explain why you are only now aware of it clicking.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I once had this problem when my rig was still new. the dealer couldn't resolve it and took it to a truck shop that was a workhorse dealer too.they determined that even though the rig was nearly new the engine battery had 2 bad cells in it. they replaced it and that was the end of the problem forever back three years ago.
They said that the chasis sitting out in the weather for a year probably ruined that battery. It is also interesting to note that I had to replace both chassis batteries with in the year. the Manufacturer of the motorhome switched to another make of battery because there were so many warranty problems.
Bebop
Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #10

Greyhound Very Interesting The things tou find out reading iRV2, did not know I had such a relay!!!
As Norm and RV Wizard have said You will likely find you have a bad battery and so the relay is jumping back and forth!!
You are gonna have to get those batteries tested!!!

Rick
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #11

I think LVJ58 and exwrench have nailed it. I removed my old diode (diodes create a voltage drop) type battery isolator in order to fully take advantage of my solar panel's ability to keep each battery bank topped off. I bought a Sure Power Battery Separator for about $60 + shipping online. This unit is so much better than the old diode isolator I had, which also is a Sure Power and they still sell them. This thing is a solenoid with a brain!! You get used to the clicking after awhile. I bought the model 1315 which charges two battery banks back and forth, when voltages reach a specified peak. Before, my inverter only charged the house batteries and now, when they are full, the separator switches the charge on to the coach batteries. The converse is true when the alternator charges the coach batteries on the road and when they are full, tops the house batteries off. In addition, it has a built-in boost switch for starting the coach. I removed the original boost solenoid and a good amount heavy cable to make things more tidy and simple. Installation is dead easy. If you want to see what I am writing about take a look at: www.surepower.com/separator.html
And no, I am not affilliated with them in any way. I am just a happy consumer.

Take Care,
Spare
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #12

Just went through the same "sound" a few days ago. A Monaco in our caravan to Quartzsite had a 50A CB in the battery bay hooked to a 60A charger (go figue). Anyway, the CD went bad and was "click" cycling on & off in 5-10 second cycles depending on temp. We replaced it with an 80A (where it should have been in the 1st place), and problem fixed.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote