Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2005, 05:08 AM   #1

I've done searches and come up with nothing. I need to replace the decorative metal switchplate covers on a couple small, 12-volt rocker switches in our motorhome. They are corroded and detract from the appearance of the interior. These are the small, brass-colored, decorative switchplate covers for rocker switches labeled "WATER PUMP", "LIGHT", "POWER VENT", etc. The switches are fine, I just need the switchplate covers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2005, 05:08 AM   #2

I've done searches and come up with nothing. I need to replace the decorative metal switchplate covers on a couple small, 12-volt rocker switches in our motorhome. They are corroded and detract from the appearance of the interior. These are the small, brass-colored, decorative switchplate covers for rocker switches labeled "WATER PUMP", "LIGHT", "POWER VENT", etc. The switches are fine, I just need the switchplate covers.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Usually you have to buy replacement switch units, switch and covers. Camper's Choice is one source and marine supply places like West Marine are another.

You could try RV salvage yards - they might have a junk rig that used similar switches to yours.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #4

Thanks Gary,

I'll give Camper's Choice and West Marine a try.

Tom
Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Tom, if the plates are solid brass you could refinish or even paint them. I will check some of my resources at work and see what I come up with.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:00 AM   #6

Thank you Mike, because a couple of them look pretty bad. Must be corrosion from moisture over the years, because the bad ones are in the bathroom.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If the switch housing is a metal plate in a plastic base, you could buy a piece of brass or copper sheet and cut out a new insert. Home Depot & Lowes have thin sheets of brass and aluminum made for kick panels on doors that aren't too expensive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:27 PM   #8

....you shouldn't even use metal switch plates around electricity if possible....it's the shock hazzard issue/and shorting issue.....geof kaye
Old 03-25-2005, 03:26 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It really should be easy to remove and then re-polish the plates if they are brass. Once polished, lay them in the sun or warm them slightly with a hair dryer. Then spray them with clear enamel from a spray can.

For those who care, the sun or heat is to expand the metal slightly so when the spray cools the surface it will allow the surface to cool without voids from contraction.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #10

I took mine off and repainted them with a brass paint and 2 coats of poly to keep them bright. Be sure to lable all wires and the switches they go to.
Gugotme is offline   Reply With Quote