Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have new 22.5s all around and don't carry a spare. I do however have coach net if I were to have a problem. It makes no difference how long it takes to get a tire, I"M RETIRED !! and haven't had an appointment in seven years. I have no place to go and a long time to get there. The only thing I know for sure is when the fat paper arrives it must be Sunday !! Wish you all are as lucky as I am.
Me too.... ain't it great!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfromtn View Post
I am new to the MH scene but hauled 5th wheels for 12 years. Have not seen any mention of spare tires. Do you folks carry them and where do you put them. I have a 2007 Coachmen Pathfinder, freightliner chassis and by my measurements I could carry a 255x80x22.5 in the middle above the storage. I would have never left home without a spare on my 5ers.
i have aaa+ rv and state farm road service.
i have michelin 145/70-19.5 tires which can be hard to find.
i called several tire dealers in the portland, or. area and found a used 5 year old goodyear at a goodyear truck tire store with about 50% tread for $40.
i built a carrier for the unmounted tire in the water tank storage compartment aft of the moho door using a wood 2 x 2, hurricane fittings, and a ratchet strap.

i can take a picture and post it if anyone is interested.

i carry a harbor freight 3/4'' 600 ft # torque wrench and socket set including a 6 pt 33 mm socket, h.f. 625 ft # ''earthquake'' pneumatic wrench, an air compressor, tire irons, and jackstands.
because my rims do not have the raised safety ridge, if i could not get road service, i suppose i could actually change the tire if necessary.
my lugnuts require 475' # torque.
i carry a plug kit also.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #17

Since rv tires only last 5-6 years and still have plenty of tread, the replaced tires make excellent spares. One on board; several in the shed as backups.

A rear inner blowout on a Saturday morning was only a minimal 1-2 hour delay to find a tire service via internet, drive there and make arrangements in the toad, then take the big old bus there to change it out and be on our way.

No long wait for a road service to maybe answer and maybe send a reliable qualified repair service that might be able to match make and size in a reasonable amount of time, especially on a weekend. And no sales tax either!

That big old piece of rubber in the basement is the best thing I ever did, and still do. Plus it holds the sometimes dirty bbq nicely away from all else for travel.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #18

If you want to check if the tire/wheel will fit in the compartment then I would remove one wheel from the RV and check using that and reinstall on RV. This would answer your question without purchasing another tire for only some labor
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
After posting a similar query when I first got my MH, I purchased and carry an unmounted spare. Got mine at COSTCO. At least I have a tire, if only I can find someone to change (dismount and mount) it. My road assist company assures me they will, but have seen others question their help.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have aaa+ rv and state farm road service.
i have michelin 145/70-19.5 tires which can be hard to find.
i called several tire dealers in the portland, or. area and found a used 5 year old goodyear at a goodyear truck tire store with about 50% tread for $40.
i built a carrier for the unmounted tire in the water tank storage compartment aft of the moho door using a wood 2 x 2, hurricane fittings, and a ratchet strap.

i can take a picture and post it if anyone is interested.

i carry a harbor freight 3/4'' 600 ft # torque wrench and socket set including a 6 pt 33 mm socket, h.f. 625 ft # ''earthquake'' pneumatic wrench, an air compressor, tire irons, and jackstands.
because my rims do not have the raised safety ridge, if i could not get road service, i suppose i could actually change the tire if necessary.
my lugnuts require 475' # torque.
i carry a plug kit also.
I have the Earthquake and all the required tools with me now also. I had AAA RV also at the time of my event and they were totally unequipped/incapable of dealing with a Class A Motorhome. They could not even take off the wheel covers. The had no jack or timbers to put under the levelers to get more lift out of them neither did they have a tire wrench big enough for the lug nuts.

I ended up having to find a local truck tire company who came out fully prepared to even mount a new tire on the spot if they had to. They had large steel plate jack pads and railroad ties with them just in case. They were all done in 5 minutes. Their appology for being late due to the fire almost took longer than the tire change. This was all an out of pocket expense since when we called back AAA dispatch we found that AAA RV did not have any companies capable of RV service working with them in the entire State of Florida so we were basically on our own.

I dumped AAA RV after that.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
I carry an unmounted take-off 22.5 on a rack in one of my basement compartments.

I also carry credit cards and use Coach-Net.

But my 10R 22.5 tire size is not always stocked by truck tire dealers so I have a spare one that can be mounted by a tire service and then move the MH to a desirable and safe place until the replacement decision can be made.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wouldn't leave home without my unmounted spare. Had a blow out this spring and charge for mounting was $35 out of pocket. Would not want to be stuck in a remote location with no hope of getting a tire to match which I know would cost an arm and a leg even if one could be found. Had it happen in S. Utah once, paid $400 for a trailer tire that sold for $100 at the time. Never again!
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just curious, my insurance company provides $750 in roadside service coverage. They said it was standard in most Class A insurance policies. Is there another reason I need Coach-net or some other roadside assistance policy? In the past 12 years rving, we've never had a need to call for assistance. So, it's not on our daily topics of consideration.

Dave
Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Just curious, my insurance company provides $750 in roadside service coverage. They said it was standard in most Class A insurance policies. Is there another reason I need Coach-net or some other roadside assistance policy? In the past 12 years rving, we've never had a need to call for assistance. So, it's not on our daily topics of consideration.

Dave
Do they provide a 24/7 hotline, take care of locating the service provider and send them to your location along with providing some sort of guarrantee of their work? Include all other vehicles in your family, unlimited towing, emergency medical assistance so forth and so on? That $750 can get eaten up very quickly when you are talking about roadside service on an Class A.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #25

Coach Net for sure. I carry a spare since I have a place for it, but would try for at least an unmounted tire at a minimum. I've experienced CN's service and highly recommend them. I also have State Farm, but they provide very minimal service and say so in the Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Do they provide a 24/7 hotline, take care of locating the service provider and send them to your location along with providing some sort of guarrantee of their work? Include all other vehicles in your family, unlimited towing, emergency medical assistance so forth and so on? That $750 can get eaten up very quickly when you are talking about roadside service on an Class A.
Good points NeilV. I guess we need to discuss this more at our next budget meeting when we get home. I sure like the idea of carrying a spare tire too since we have four different rims.

Dave
Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach came with a mounted spare in one of the basement compartments up on a shelf. it has never seen daylight. I only have 11000 miles but after 6 years it is getting on to time to change the rubber. I thought I would use this brand new spare but Driver said I ought to toss it if it has never been used.
I was coming into Salinas, CA a few years ago in the last motorhome, 35 foot sunbus and blew a tire. Good Sam sent three different companies out to me before one came with the right tools to do the job, except that company didn't have the right socket. That is when I fired good sam and called an 18 wheeler truck tire service company. they were there in 20 minutes and had two tires my size on board with current dates. I got a price from him and realized it was less then I could get from any of the dealers in San Jose. I told him to replace both fronts. He said he could call out his boss at home on this hot sunday afternoon and have him bring 4 more tires. I had all 6 of them replaced in that hotel parking lot. I got home and once again shopped the local dealers and not a one of them could or would match that price.
I carry the mounted spare because these wheels are torqued to 450 foot pounds and I don't see me trying to change them. Coachnet gets that job.
Bebop
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
i carry a 22.5 unmounted spare and have road side asst with Progressive. the last blow out i had we paid up front and was reembursed 100% can usully find a spare at most big truck tire centers

slegbishop is offline   Reply With Quote