Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I live in Nevada... Good luck getting cell phone service in much of the state. I carry a mounted spare, 20 ton jack, electric and air impact guns, plus an air compressor. Tire is under the bed... yep a pain but doable.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Of course the shop that carries your size would need to be opened on the day you were stuck on the side of the road with a flat and near to your location.
In most of the United States there is a type of vehicle that travels the roads, It is called a SEMI TRUCK,, In fact, if you got it, a truck brought it, that's a fact.

Since these trucks, which often have 18 or more tires, occasionally have flats, and occasionaly at 3am on Sunday Morning there is a network of 24 hour tire guys out there who will not only be able to get the tire you need, but bring it to you and install it right where you pulled over.

Coach Net knows who they are, So does Goodyear, Firestone, Mitchlin, and the often the local police, though some departmetns are better than others at that. We used to have a category in our computer phone book '24 hour tires' Called em for both Semis and the occasional Class A.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
THE 255/70R22.5 are the common ones and built for a 7.5 inch rim. I don't know about the 255/80s. But I am just repeating what I was told by the tire people so forgive me if I am wrong. I think the 235/80R/22.5 are Michelin only and lot of places have downsized on the expensive tires. The shop that put on my tires was a Michelin dealer and may have one or two request a year for the 235s so it would be foolish to stock them. Coachnet agreed that 235s are not requested much. At any rate I have a spare so I won't have to tire hunt any more. My shopping will be at home base in Florda. No more 235s.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
I was told that Michelin is the only brand that has my size. I doubt if truckers use Michelins, but I am not sure about that. I wish that I could get an older tire for a spare. I did find several on Ebay but with shipping they were more expensive than a new tire. Joe
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I doubt if truckers use Michelins, but I am not sure about that.
They may use Michelins, but I seriously doubt they use XRV's !
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Spare

Bought a spare that is the same as the tires that came on the motorhome. I carry it unmounted in a storage bay or in the back of my towed Jeep Liberty. Since many mobile tire service trucks can mount a tire on a wheel, I figured I would always have one the same type as the originals.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #49

Suggest you take a check at the next truck stop you are at and see the number of big rigs on Michelins especialy owner operated rigs
Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As an EX owner of semi's I had nothing but Michlins on all 7 of my tractors, as for the drives like others they were re-caps, as we all know you can't put a re-cap on for a steer tire, had others but Michlins worked the best, and we never had trouble with the sidewall on the tire as we did with others.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
As others have responded, truckers don't use XRV's. Thanks anyway, Joe
Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #52

Our '87 Bounder came with a mounted spare in a large cubby on the drivers side (actually under the bed!) .Also came with a large lug wrench too of the right size, will have to invest in a jack & torque wrench to get the job done right.

Having said that we live in our bounder fulltime in one place , until we find work somewhere else/move out of state. So haven't needed to worry about changing a wheel/tyre yet! The tyre is the old 8R19.5 size , with older rubber one is looking cracked & cloudy on the tire wall so the changing may come pretty soon!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #53

Every time I see one of these threads, I wonder. In 42 years of driving all types of vehicles from 2 to 18 wheels, for what I estimate 1.5 million miles I have never had a tire blowout. I have had some fail in a driveway from nails/construction debris but I have never had to change a tire roadside. I wear suspenders and do not wear a belt with them. So I will carry a wallet with Coach Net and credit cards, continue to watch tire pressure and wear obsessively, use a TPMS and replace tires when needed. I will not carry a spare that I would probably hurt myself lifting.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 33' 2000 Pace Arrow and it came with a ''spare'' and I would not leave home without it. In 108,000 miles we have had one blow out at mile mark 108 crossing Utah. We were in the middle of nothing and lots of it. We waited 18 hours for ''Goober'' to come out in a Toyota pick up with a ''bottle jack'' and wrenches that would not fit the lugs. Eventually we got the spare on and we went down the road. Here are the rules I live by now.
One. I carry a air compressor in the basement of the coach and I check the tire pressure every morning before departure.......
Two. I look underneath to be sure the ''spare'' is still there occasionally. (some folks will steal anything)
Three. I carry tools to change the tire if necessary.
Four. I keep ''good tires'' on the coach but sometimes bad things can happen
Here is the great problem about traveling without a spare,,,,,,,
There are ''people'' that will definitely take advantage of you price wise if you are in the middle of nothing and some guy from ''Banjo String'' sells you a tire........ He knows you have two choices. Pay his price or homestead........
as usual, If you use this valuable information you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me......... Good advise aint cheap ......
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon

God bless our vets ......ALL GAVE SOME .... SOME GAVE ALL ....
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #55

Carrying a spare tire...

To any/all of you who carry a 22.5 spare tire with or without the spare wheel, where & How do you carry it? I would think a receiver mounted carrier would be a good place, but I have been unable to find one
Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have pass through storage. Ideal for carrying a spare.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote