Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spare Tire Age Question

Most of us by now have been hit with the wallet-draining truth that RV tires die of old age, rather than diminished tread life. However, what about the spare. Does anybody replace their spare when they put on new tires? At more than $300 per tire, its awful tempting to ignore the issue. Of course, the next time you get a flat, you'll be driving on that old tire. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Most larger coaches do not have spare tires. If tires are taken care of the chance of a flat is only if you hit something or old age. If I were to carry a spare, by the time I needed it, it would be dry rotted and useless. I had a right front blow out and called roadside assistance to bring and install a new tire for me. I would not even be able to break the lug nuts loose at 500 ft/lb of torque!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

An old tire is an old tire, even if it has never done a single mile on the road. If you put that ancient spare on, it might get you to the next tire shop. Or it might not. In any case, you are going to have to replace it quickly.

As Mike says, most large coaches don't have spares anyway. Trailers usually do, though, and an old spare is just dead weight. On the other hand, trailer tires don't seem to last even 7 years, so you may well get to use the spare before it dies of old age.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year, we ran over a nail and noticed that a rear outside tire had gone flat when we were spending the night in a Wal-Mart parking lot (we're full-timers). We called emergency road service and they installed the spare that came with our W-20 chassis. While it's often true that you can get ERS to bring out a new tire, it would have been a waste of money since the flat could be easily fixed at a later date and the spare was still usable. In that instance, having a spare saved both time and money. However, we may never need that spare again and as you say, it would eventually become useless.

I guess the short answer (for us) is to replace the spare along with the other six tires and look at it as a $300 insurance premium in case we lose a tire in the middle of nowhere or we're low on funds when the tire goes bad. Life sometimes has a way of dishing it out when you're the most vulnerable.

Thank you for the response. Good point.

Jack
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
While it is true most RV tires die of old age, isn't that old age visible to the naked eye? Don't the cracks we all hear about give us a visual indication, just as the wrinkles in our faces do? If your spare (or any) tire is several years old, has been stored out of direct sunlight, and shows absolutely no signs of aging, is it not OK to continue using it?

I recently read somewhere on this site or forum that Michelin has recently given their blessing to an extended tire life, ten years or so, as long as their is no evidence of cracks, cuts, etc., and still good tread.

I have not checked my unused spare lately, but the XZAs on the ground still look great, and coming up on five years. Does the fact that they're on the ground and in use (i.e., getting flexed occasionally) make the diference? I don't know. I'm hoping there is someone out there that really does.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With apologies for digress from the spare tire issue:

[I would not follow the calendar rule. Rather, remove-and-replace each as needed when outward signs show evidence that they are cracking.

Given the signs of dry-rot, R&R tyres as needed. If no sign of deep cracks [ie, over 2/32" in depth] keep them on. I have 2 new steering tires and remaining four are 2003 vintage. Only one has the cracks & will be replaced when depth reaches 2/32". Others are on well-shaded side [now covered w/ tyre covers all around].

I called Michelin and was informed usage & sun protection does indeed lengthen the 5-yr calendar rule.]

If you have a "spare" I would do this...keep a decent former tyre for emergency usage.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
While it is true most RV tires die of old age, isn't that old age visible to the naked eye? Don't the cracks we all hear about give us a visual indication, just as the wrinkles in our faces do?
The answers are No & No. Surface cracks are not an indication of aging or damage. A deep one is perhaps a warning, though. The tire manufacturers all recommend dismounting a tire and looking at the inside to determine if it is aged or damaged.

And while lots of direct sun can perhaps accelerate a tire's death, it still ages when stored in a cool dark place. It may be good for a while longer than the one that is continually exposed, but it doesn't last indefinitely.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, guys, good info; never thought of some of that. And I even have my own proof of aging from the inside; a low tire on my toad (old tires) revealed a whole handful of disintegrated rubber when dismounted, so replaced them all (just outside Zion NP.)

However, on the issue of visible cracks, isn't that still an indication of some combination of age, maybe UV exposure, and/or lack of use? And maybe an indication that there is a replacement issue looming on the horizon? Newer tires usually don't have them, and I've always heard that if your sidewalls or shoulders are beginning to show signs of cracking, it's probably time to reach for your checkbook.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think of the last time you needed a spare: Think of your Coach Link account.

Now.. Instead of a spare tire.. Put 400 bucks in an envelope, water proof it, and put it in a secure place. You will, over the life of the coach, save the 400 on fuel cost from not hauling the spare... And when you need it. You got it. right there in your hand. With Coach Net and the local tire store doing the dirty work
Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This discussion almost argues to remove a spare which comes with a new motor home and sell it to a tire shop before it ages. Mine is going on four years old and has never been on the road and mounted under the rear bumper in such a way I doubt I could even get it off. Hmmm.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Think of the last time you needed a spare: Think of your Coach Link account.

Now.. Instead of a spare tire.. Put 400 bucks in an envelope, water proof it, and put it in a secure place. You will, over the life of the coach, save the 400 on fuel cost from not hauling the spare... And when you need it. You got it. right there in your hand. With Coach Net and the local tire store doing the dirty work
This is great! I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks much!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Some of the decision depends on the tire size and where, in the next few years one plans to travel. For me, I'll carry a fully mounted spare tire. In addition, when we go to Alaska, I carry an additional tire, unmounted. The 275/70/22.5 tire size is not easy to find, in stock. It is one thing to loose a few hours. For me it is unacceptable to loose a few days. The insurance of having the tire is worth the peach of mind.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There is no place on earth where $400 in an envelope would be safe. Plan B. When I get new tires, I'll replace the six on the rig, pick out the best one of the used tires and keep it for the spare. I'm also a member of the "Keep a spare handy" club. We are talking about tires here...aren't we????

Jack
Old 06-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
There is no place on earth where $400 in an envelope would be safe. Plan B. When I get new tires, I'll replace the six on the rig, pick out the best one of the used tires and keep it for the spare. I'm also a member of the "Keep a spare handy" club. We are talking about tires here...aren't we????

Jack

Good advise Jack, I am a member of that club, and that way of thinking myself.

Dieselclacker