Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Spare tire removal

2002 fleetwood pace arrow 36 foot gas.
Have a slow leak in tire.
Total surprise but there is a spare under the rear end.
I see no apparent way to get the spare out.
Anyone done this. Think there is a section of of fibreglass that part of the ladder hooks to that may pull off.
Macbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

I have a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision. My spare comes down on a steel cable. You should have a long crank rod which is inserted into a hole at the back of the last cargo hold on the passenger side. Turning the crank rod lowers the spare.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #3

Did not find a cable or access there.
Will continue looking in AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #4

If the tire is like mine, its old and no good anyway.
Mine is a brand new 1999 tire and wheel. I would need to be desperate to use that old a tire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 99 Southwind, its a two part process.

1st I remove the bar that goes between the frame rails that holds the tire up. This bar is there for additional security to make sure the tire doesn't come down.

In the rear passenger side storage compartment there is a small hole that connects to the cable winch used for raising and lowering the spare tire.. Insert the long crank handle rod tool into that hole. and crank to lower / raise the spare tire.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

This is the main reason I advocate that folks LEARN all about their new to them coaches, within a short time after acquisition. Learn all about how the batteries are charged from both the engine and shore power. Learn about what it takes for a tire change, (and removal and install of spare, if you have one), learn about ALL the fuses and where they all are, learn as much as you can so that, if and when something breaks, malfunctions, just quits working, or maintenance is needed, anything. This way, you'll have at least some form of knowledge on what steps to take for a given situation. At least the ones you're willing to take.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the rear compartment. You can see the crank handle and also the small tab thing thats sticking out. It kind of looks like a 3/8 square like on a ratchet drive wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire_Jack_800.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	203772  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
This is the main reason I advocate that folks LEARN all about their new to them coaches, within a short time after acquisition. Learn all about how the batteries are charged from both the engine and shore power. Learn about what it takes for a tire change, (and removal and install of spare, if you have one), learn about ALL the fuses and where they all are, learn as much as you can so that, if and when something breaks, malfunctions, just quits working, or maintenance is needed, anything. This way, you'll have at least some form of knowledge on what steps to take for a given situation. At least the ones you're willing to take.
Scott

And just one more time, EXACTLY!!

Not knowing if you even have the stuff is bad enough, but what's even worse is not knowing if it works is another. It's better to find out in your driveway on a sunny afternoon than at 9:30 at night during a thunderstorm beside the interstate. When researching the installation of a spare tire carrier, I found YouTube videos about a problem with the secondary latch on GMC trucks not releasing creating a nightmare to let the spare down. My first day off, my spare tire came down, but not without a fight. I'm glad I picked that fight on the garage floor instead of along side I-440 during rush hour.

My first week and half I was either sleeping, in the coach with the manuals, reading them during downtime at work, or searching for answers here. Then I was comfortable enough to take a journey into the wild, 5 miles from the dealer and 9 miles from WalMart.

Then I spent that weekend in the manuals. Then before I left our "comfort zone", I had everything that I needed to change a tire (including mounted spare), and deal with other issues, and I am constantly adding to my back up stuff cache.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post

And just one more time, EXACTLY!!

Not knowing if you even have the stuff is bad enough, but what's even worse is not knowing if it works is another. It's better to find out in your driveway on a sunny afternoon than at 9:30 at night during a thunderstorm beside the interstate. When researching the installation of a spare tire carrier, I found YouTube videos about a problem with the secondary latch on GMC trucks not releasing creating a nightmare to let the spare down. My first day off, my spare tire came down, but not without a fight. I'm glad I picked that fight on the garage floor instead of along side I-440 during rush hour.

My first week and half I was either sleeping, in the coach with the manuals, reading them during downtime at work, or searching for answers here. Then I was comfortable enough to take a journey into the wild, 5 miles from the dealer and 9 miles from WalMart.

Then I spent that weekend in the manuals. Then before I left our "comfort zone", I had everything that I needed to change a tire (including mounted spare), and deal with other issues, and I am constantly adding to my back up stuff cache.
There are actually very, very few folks involved in RVing that take that approach. Most barely know how to put fuel in it. This is not being sarcastic or derogatory in any way. It's just that some folks don't have the drive to LEARN what's inside, under, around and on top of, the four walls and what makes things tick. Not all of us can be top line techs, not even close. But, to have at least some basic knowledge of the "systems" of your coach is sure a plus in my book.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
RVing, Kind of like earning your Dolphin fins on a Submarine. You know every system on the boat, how it works, why its needed, and what to do if it break..

If you own an older RV this is mandatory..
Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #11

Im with the read every manual crowd. Your machine might have a bunch of features you dont even know you have. You might also damage something costing money to repair. As for the OP, this advice is still applicable. Get out your manuals, and look up spare tire removal. They should have it covered in the manuals.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2006 Southwind 32vs, and it may or may not be the same. I won't do any "RTFM" shaming. The dealer I purchased my rig from did not know about the spare tire either, or were too lazy to mention it. I discovered it while crawling around under it learning where everything was.

My spare looks like it's in a cage, tucked in tight between the frame rails in a cage. In order to remove it, a bolt that keeps it locked to the frame must be removed, as well as the body panel on the back of the coach (the one that has the license plate). On the body panel is off, you have to push/slide the spare though that opening. A real PITA, but it is better than having nothing.

Hope that helps!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #13

That is how mine is.
In my defense, the previous owner stated there was no spare tire.
I found it like last poster, while looking over the hyd. Jacks.

It comes out just like he posted, removing the center of the plastic bumper and one part of the ladder.

Was a change from earlier models.

Once I get it out will get a new tire on it.

Thanks for those that helped me learn.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #14

Finally got spare out of my RV.
Had to remove 10 bolts and a screw out of the ladder.
Then one bolt through the wheel.

Tags
removal