Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spare tire winch crank

Hi all,

Our recently acquired Jayco 3230 class C is missing the crank handle used to raise & lower the spare tire. Jayco says they no longer have this part nor the part number. I'm trying to find a used one or anything that will do the job. If nothing materializes, I guess I'll see about having something fabricated.

(I'm posting this here because the Jayco area seems all Entegra - hope I don't offend... )

The crank shaft would have to be a couple of feet long to get the handle part outside of the basement compartment. Here are a couple of pics of the winch shaft that the crank has to engage:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve & Carol

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

If no one comes forward with the part you need, I'd be tempted to run the correct size die on the shaft , install a nut ; lock-tight it on, then use 3/8" drive ratchet, socket & extension, to lower the tire.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
I have a friend with a 2002 Jayco Class C with a Ford v10. If you think both RVs would use the same tool, I'll see what his uses.

Just let me know if you want me to look at his RV.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

Adding to what Skip426 suggests I've seen people use a battery operated drill to raise and lower scissors type jacks and that might be an option for you to consider.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Find a socket or piece of metal tubing that fits over the shaft. Go to the local hardware store and buy a roll pin like this Coil Pins / Spring Pins on Innovative Components. Drill a hole through the shaft so that the roll pin is snug when you push it in. Push the roll pin in so that it protrudes evenly out of both sides of the shaft.

Take the pipe or socket and cut a slot in the end so it fits or the roll pin. Now you can just slide the tool over the shaft and pin and crank. This can be done with a minimum amount of tool.

Threading the nut on as Skip426 said would work well too, if you have the tools and room to do so.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if a drill extension (The kind with allen screws) will fit over it, these come in assorted lengths, then use your drill.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up with a variation on the theme, and just in case anyone else has this problem in the future, here's what I did:

Ordered a 1/2" coupler with setscrews, bought a 3/4" hex head bolt, and a long 3/8" drive socket extension. Ground a "flat" into the threaded end of the bolt & clamped it into the coupler. Clamped the other end of the coupler on the tire winch shaft. Now I can use the long extension with a 3/4" socket and either a speed handle or a ratchet to raise & lower the tire. Could have used a shorter bolt, but didn't have the coupler yet when I bought it. Pics tell the story better:

Steve & Carol

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote