Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #15

I would never own a workhorse chasis again.
I had a Holiday Rambler 2004 Admiral SE and had nothing but trouble: spark wires, completely out of alignment the first day we drove it. Air bags replaced,etc,etc, That Workhorse is actually a danger to drive. We were on a cross-country trip from Maine and traded it in for a Georgie Boy. The Workhorse was not safe to drive, and they do not honor the waranty!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
grico, welcome to IRV2
I have warranty items that have been fixed and a ignition cable trouble that have all been covered under the Workhorse warranty. Coach couldn't drive any better the expense of a DP does not warrent for me trading for one. With the new W-24 AND W-25.5 coming out, a DP will not be in my future, because these chassis are an improvement from the older WH's and will carry the coachs "NEWMAR" I would buy.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Every time I have a problem with my Workhorse I think, I should have bought a Ford. But after I get it fixed I remember why I bought the Workhorse.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Grico's Holiday Rambler was on a P32 chassis,we had an admiral in for the same problems.Workhorse covered it to be fixed CORRECTLY under warranty and the customer drove away very happy.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Workhorse covered it to be fixed CORRECTLY under warranty and the customer drove away very happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike, Thanks for sharing that with us. I have heard very few isolated, not so good outcomes when it comes to warranty repairs but in that case there was some mis-management going on and the customer wound up on the short end of the stick. Revisiting the "same" service center a 2nd time for the same issue the customer's problem was resolved properly and to his satisfaction. Why you might ask? Because the management changed.

I haven't seen the Workhorse Chassis yet that has been a "Danger" to drive and that needed replacement. What we hear about are people that have some type of displeasure and that no matter how well a vehicle performs in their opinion it remains disappointing and there is no resolution that will make these people happy.

At that point, yes, it's a good idea to move on and get something that will make them them happy but just so they know, their new vehicle may present warranty challenges as well. I just hope that they have a positive ownership experience with their new product and when the occasion for warranty works present itself that the problems are resolved properly the first time around. Trouble is sometimes that you just can't tell unless you know your dealership well and you trust their work.

"Sometimes" service work is like a box of chocolates .....

Be your own best friend, get to know your service center and their management staff. Knowing these folks can give you a great sense of relief especially when you can trust someone to perform their work in a professional manner.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
It is very frustrating when your brand new coach fails you, after all, look at all the $$$ you just spent. To make it even worse is to go in for warrenty work and getting less then 3rd rate service. I had much trouble with my wires and Work Horse, but I must say in their defense the factory service people instructed the service shops to fix the problem, and it worked for the time being. After the forth episode on my way to Sturgis SD it happened again. This time it was fixed in Elkhart Ind and Work Horse shipped ahead to Rapid City Chevy a "cool air kit", as not to have me sit and wait a couple of extra days in Elkhart. Since the kit was installed I have not had a problem. I have to say Work Horse has always been responsive and sympathetic to our problems, they are not standing in every shop to see the right thing is done. Imagine here in Phila, PA we have no Work Horse service centers in the area that will take a motor home, now that is an issue!!

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #21
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Jestme,

There is a warranty center in Gettysburg,it's S&S RV Performance.717-334-0149 ask for george
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Geez Mike, only about 130 or so miles away, 1 way,

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve, when I had the ignition cable problem and was towed to Danville, PA. the only Chev garage in town took care of me and set me up in a lot over night until parts came next day, on a trip to Newmar factory. HAWKINS CHEV & OLDS they are listed in a post WH service centers back three pages this forum. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #24

Just to document my spark plug experience so far...

As a preventive step, I elected to replace my spark plugs and spark plug wires on my Workhorse W22 chassis, even though I haven't experienced any problems. My main reason for doing this was to get a look at the "business end" of the plugs to see how things were going, and also to potentially prevent a future plug wire "meltdown".

When I removed the plugs and wires, the only odd thing I noticed was that cylinders 7 and 8 (the two rearmost ones) were running either colder or richer than the others, because there was noticeably more combustion residue on those plugs. Everything else about the plug deposits looked uniformly normal, though the plug deposits suggested that the engine runs slightly rich (as Mike Bronzini and others have stated).

For replacement parts I chose to use Bosch no. 4459 Platinum +4 spark plugs, and a Borg Warner no. CH7877 8mm spark plug wire set from O'Reilly. All boots were lubed with hi-temp silicone grease before installation.

The nice thing about the Borg Warner wire set, besides the low cost, is that the spark plug boots fit into the stock heat shields quite nicely so they can be re-used. No need to spend extra money on "racing" heat shield products, or do without.

As far as the new spark plugs are concerned, I noticed that the engine is firing much better at idle now, and it also may be (now DON'T jump to conclusions, please!) that I'm getting slightly better mileage because of these plugs. Need to go on a long trip to be sure. Time will tell.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:09 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
To do a proper plug test I thought you had to run the RPM up and then shut off the engine and pull the plugs. Did you do this or did you let the engine idle, shut it off and pull the plugs?

If you run it up to 2200 rpm, shut it down and pull the plugs both rear plugs may read the same as the others because of more even air distribution to the rear cylinders.

Is this correct Mike Bronzini??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grico:
I would never own a workhorse chasis again.
I had a Holiday Rambler 2004 Admiral SE and had nothing but trouble: spark wires, completely out of alignment the first day we drove it. Air bags replaced,etc,etc, That Workhorse is actually a danger to drive. We were on a cross-country trip from Maine and traded it in for a Georgie Boy. The Workhorse was not safe to drive, and they do not honor the waranty! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GRICO:
sorry to hear you had so much trouble with you WH. I would suggest that a lot of the problems were related to the Coach Mfg. and/or Poor service from your dealer. There are thousands of very satisfied Customers driving WH chassis and many of us are not always happy with the service we get from Dealers.
The dealers are responsible for providing good quality service, but most times they are too busy preping new RV's for sales to worry about the ones they sold already. At$100 to $110 and hour, you would think you would get better service. I do almost all the maintenance because of their attitude.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #27
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The only thing you do by heating up the engine & then pulling the plugs is burn your fingers.Almost all of the "stock" Workhorses have growth on those two plugs.You should take those Bosch plugs back & get 41932 AC Delco.We have tested the Bosch & have seen an 18 HP drop.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #28

Another new member of you informative forum with the spark plug wire problem and a blown exhaust gasket to go with it. I have been watching you forum for a couple years and decided to get-r-done. My coach had the problem the day I bought it used with 8400 miles on it. I quickly figured out why it was traded for a Diesel. After 4 more fixes and failures, (# 4 included the gasket)I told the dealer to call me when it was really fixed. Five weeks, 2 Workhorse reps and the installation of the air tubes, I got the call to come get and it. No more problems so far after an additional 4000 miles. I now have 24,000 miles on the coach and we truely love it; especially the Workhorse 8.1 with the Allison Transmission. The Workhorse reps claimed the problem was "Coach front end and grill design that did not allow enough air for cooling. Eh, maybe!

I have seen mention of Bilsteen Shocks and Air/Fuel ratio. The restore time and cycles after a big front end dip is really long. Will the shocks solve that problem? Is it foolish to assume that a GM dealer would check A/F ration when fighting a heat problem?