Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #1

Greetings,
The speedometer on my 1999 F53 chassis is working erratically but the rest of the instrument cluster seems to be working fine. When I start the engine the speedo needle jumps to about 50 MPH and slowly returns to zero. As soon as I start moving the needle jumps to about 40 MPH and stays there until I get moving faster than 40 MPH. Above 40 MPH the speedometer seems to work OK. I also noticed that when I engage the hydraulic levelers the speedo needle jumps. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the problem. Thanks.
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Warren&Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #2

Greetings,
The speedometer on my 1999 F53 chassis is working erratically but the rest of the instrument cluster seems to be working fine. When I start the engine the speedo needle jumps to about 50 MPH and slowly returns to zero. As soon as I start moving the needle jumps to about 40 MPH and stays there until I get moving faster than 40 MPH. Above 40 MPH the speedometer seems to work OK. I also noticed that when I engage the hydraulic levelers the speedo needle jumps. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the problem. Thanks.
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If it is a mechanical cable it could be broken. If it is electrical have you checked for a loose ground wire? You can always add one to troubleshoot.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #4

On the top of thedifferential onthe drives side , just a bit off the side of the pumkin, is the speed sensor. Check the connection on teh pigtail coming out of the sensor. Couldbe loose or dirty. If that doesnt fix it, a new sensor is about $20 from your Ford dealer. I had to replace the one on my 1999 F-53 Motorhome and one on my 1999 F-250 - it's an easy 5 minute swap out- a single bolt holds it in place
Old 07-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the input.

I tried cleaning the connection on the rear sensor and then replaced it with no improvement.

The speedometer is the electronic type so I'll try attaching an additional ground wire to see if that helps. Before I pull out the speedometer cluster do you have any recommendations where the ground wire should attach to the speedometer?
FYI: When I turn on the ignition and the ABS starts making that growling sound, the needle jumps to 50MPH and slowly settles back to zero.
Is that growling sound normal?

Thanks again for your help.
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler