Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Split Beds vs Island Bed

In our search for a motorhome we came across a 2006 Tioga Jamboree 29V with split beds in the rear. I was immediately impressed with how much of an open feeling this bed configuration gave the coach. Instead of looking at the foot of a bed, you can look down the aisle all the way to the back of the coach.

When I walked backed there I was immediately impressed by how much cabinet storage you get and how easy it is access all the cabinets. The cabinets over the beds were easily accessible and so were the top cabinets at the rear. With an island bed, I have to crawl on the bed to access those rear cabinets. With an island bed and those side cabinets -- if the coach even has them -- I have to lean over to walk past them so as not to bump into them; and when opening them I have to lean backwards -- just a bit of a Gumby move, if you ask me.

With the split beds, instead of having two narrow aisles you have one wider aisle that's a lot more comfortable to walk through.

I had split beds, mid-coach, in an '85 Barth and I remember making them was a bit aggravating. To get a good sheet tuck on the outboard side I had to pull the mattress back about 6" and lean over the mattress to make it. But then those top corners of the island bed don't look like a joy to make either, with the built in night stands and the humps from the basement storage preventing easy access to those corners.

I do remember the outside wall of that split bed getting quite cold in the winter though. That'd be a positive for the island bed. The same may be true in the summer with the sun shining on that wall, but I don't remember that being a problem and I was working swing shift then, sleeping until nine or ten.

My wife would prefer an island bed because she likes to cuddle, but since my back has gotten as bad as it is, that doesn't really work out for me. But cuddling, or "nuggling" as my wife says, would be another positive for an island bed. The Great Dane would vote for an island bed as she likes to take her half out of the middle, but she's not of voting age.

I was wondering if anyone else had put any thought into this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long ago was the honeymoon?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good one Arch-

IMHO-

My bride hated having to make up the split bed. She cussed it out all the time.

The current Queen bed is a much better deal-

Everyone has to make that individual kind of decision,

Good luck,
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had both types and each have both advantages and disadvantages. The split beds were fine for us since wife stays up later than myself either reading or watching tv. Neither of us like the idea of sleeping in seperate beds though. So in the end when we traded that mh we went to a queen size bed and it has worked well. She still stays up later than me but now with the queen bed, we at least sleep together. In the end, it is what works best for you and yours that counts.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Split beds? Like having one spoon in the drawer.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Think "REsell" We wouldn't purchase it. Owned a 19' TT with the bed crammed into a corner. Took forever to make it...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
H. Miller, you're absolutely right about the resale. I didn't even consider that.

Max and Catonine, thanks for sharing your experiences. After reading what you typed, I looked at photos of that model with split beds and I noticed the built-in night stand would prohibit us from pulling the mattress out to tuck those outboard corners. You're right, that would be a miserable job.

Thanks all for your input! I think I'll re-think my thinking
Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recently I was looking at a Winnebago View for my Dentist who recently got married (2nd time) and wanted to get away on weekends. He wanted something small. We have these Views coming into the campground here in Maine and folks love them with the Merecedes Diesel. I suggested he look at one of these or the Itasca version. Eighteeen miles a gallon is "cool".

I got to surfing the Web and started looking at the interiors of these rigs on line. The earlier ones had the bed over the cab- Ugh, getting up and down a ladder several times a night to go potty, for me- No way- . "Doc Calvin" is no spring chicken either.

Then I saw later models with a rear bed and here is a picture of a 2010 model. How would you like to pull fitted sheets over the mattress in this hummer-

Ouch-

Again, just my feelings about sleeping accomodations--
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #9

I've had both split beds and queen beds in rv's. My preference is split beds. getting up at night is easier and less disturbing to the spouse. Split beds can be a chore to make up, but then so is our queen bed. Night stands and shirt closets on each side get in the way. Unfortunately few manufacturers offer the slpit bed option anymore.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If we had split beds i might never get any....
And they sure wouldn't insulate me from her snoring, unless they were in separate rooms (see comment above)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's another bit of info. Split beds may affect your fresh water tank size. They would on my rig, around 20 gallons worth vs the short queen.

We got an island bed model, by the way. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Good one Arch-

IMHO-

My bride hated having to make up the split bed. She cussed it out all the time.

The current Queen bed is a much better deal-

Everyone has to make that individual kind of decision,

Good luck,

I've had both. Split beds are more efficient use of space and I prefer them Spouse makes bed and prefers island. Guess what we have.