Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Has anyone heard of a disel generator on a 2002 Winnebago Journey just starting on its own? Ours has just done this for the second time!! Both times everything was off and sitting in our drive way. Help!

Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Has anyone heard of a disel generator on a 2002 Winnebago Journey just starting on its own? Ours has just done this for the second time!! Both times everything was off and sitting in our drive way. Help!

Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Don't hold me to thew make and model, but I did a FIND for Generator Starting in the forum and found such a reference under the Alpine Coach section. So apparently it can happen. You mjight check ther for further details.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
This is an undocumented feature.

We have had ours start three times. There has been some discussion on this with no conculsion. If you learn anything let us know.
Steve & Sherri
2002 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Zimectrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There are inverters with control panels that will "auto gen start" when the battery voltage gets low or if air conditioner is set for a temperature inside to be maintained. If your coach does not have this feature then we have found that a control board on the generator to be faulty and this has started the generator for no reason. A board replacement corrected the problem on two coaches I know of.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My Generac 7.5 KW Diesel genset did the same thing. Drove us nuts because no one would believe us. Finally got the circuit board replaced and no more fantom starting.
Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Quite often the cause is from the remote switch in the MH usually on your dash. The wires for the remote have a pull apart connector. On my DSDP Onan the connection is on the Pass. side of the generator about 12" above it. this connector sometimes gets moisture in it and will inadvertently make the connection and start the generator. You can pull this connector apart, make sure it is dry and put some electrical water resistance grease in it.
Some people that have had your problem leave this connection unplugged while the MH isn't being used. This way the generator won't start by itself and use up your fuel.
Tom, Pat and Buster (the Boston terrier)

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ah huh! Thanks, tmitchell, I think you nailed it for my situation.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call from the storage yard where I have my rv stored, telling me that my generator was running. I went out and shut it off, but could not figure out why it was running.

However, I figured that there might be a connection to a severe storm that passed thru the area about 12 hours prior. But I thought it might be lightening related, since the area had severe lightening strikes, including the area of the rv storage yard.

Your explanation works for me, since we had localized winds close to 60 mph associated with the storm. The yard personnel had told me that, besides the severe close lightening (they took cover in their office building), the swirling winds were kicking up stones from the driveway. There was lots of rain associated with this storm.

So at this point, you have provided me with the most plausible explanation to date. Thanks
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Thanks for taking this seriously! Evidently others have had this problem. I am printing out all your great replies as we speak! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
This happened to me last year. I was out of town at the time and my neighbor called to tell me the generator was running. The neighbor shut it off for me.
I called Onan and talked to a tech about it. He said it does happen. The most common cause is animals.
When I got home I looked at the generator and there were cat tracks on top (I have an outdoor cat).
I stuck a stick under the starter switch on the generator so it couldn't be started from outside and it hasn't happened since.
The tech said they have had generators start due to defects, but it is rare.
I think many of the replies you received are good possibilities, but you might want to check for animal tracks, too.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 AM   #11

For the Onan, it tells you in the

Owner's Manual NOT to use any water

on it, when-and-if, you clean the gen-set.

It says to wipe the unit with a rag.

What it DOESN'T say speaks reams...

You get it damp and it'll self-start.

I think this is an Onan "dirty little secret",

one that Onan feels sheds a negative light on

their product and engineering.

I cleaned ours with Gunk Engine Cleaner and it

later self-started twice before I figured it out.

Steady Eddie/1999 KSCA 3357/P12 Chassis/454 Vortec L-21

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote