Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #1

A question to all you experts out there. I am not interested in spending half a fortune on some special machine. Is any one aware of anything I can add to the soapy water bucket to assist in reducing or eliminating spots when washing the motor home??

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #2

A question to all you experts out there. I am not interested in spending half a fortune on some special machine. Is any one aware of anything I can add to the soapy water bucket to assist in reducing or eliminating spots when washing the motor home??

Old 06-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

There is a new gizmo sold at Wally World for about $13-15 called 'Mr Clean' Auto Car Wash system. It attaches to the end of your hose, and what makes this thing work is it has a deionize rinse cartidge in it. I purchased one and it works great for rinsing down your coach after washing it.

Shortcomings are there is no wand on the end of this device, so it's hard to reach the top sidewall of your coach while rinsing with the deionize rinse, and the cartridges only last for 1 to maybe 2 motorhome washes. Refill cartridges are about $5-6.

Others have suggested buying a 2-gallon pump-up sprayer (with wand) and use distilled water to rinse down. I might suggest putting a little jet-dry in this solution to see if this may help. I haven't tried this one yet.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The Mr. Clean system Pusheman refers to claims you MUST use their soap with their filter/dispenser to get the spot free/no dry benefits. As stated, using their "gun" is a pain because of the limited spray distance and spray pressure/volume. Last wash, I tried using just their soap plus water in a bucket, my long handled brush and my normal household water for rinseing. It worked like a champ on both the MH and the family auto without using the Mr. Clean spray handle with filter. Of course, the quality of your household water will probably have an impact. Fortunately, my well water must be relatively soft because I had no spots on either vehicle when they dried. I doubt I would have had the same results If I were still in San Antonio using very high calcium hardness Edwards Aquifier water for the rinse.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #5

I have some Protect All wash product that is supposed to allow washing without rinsing. I wonder if I can add it to the wash water and go ahead and rinse as usual and still have it work? I guess it can't hurt to try.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #6

We bought a hose nozzle that has a small siphon jar attached. We fill the jar with a dishwasher spot prevernting product, think it is called Jet Dry, and it works well for the final rinse. We bought it sometime ago at Lowes in the garden section.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MH = 1year old

Here is how we wash MH

1. Stop at RV Park

2. California Duster

3. Apply ProtectAll during our stay to windshield, rubber, everywhere. Always looks like showroom new. I do it in sections as the spirit moves me. CHEERS!

Used water one time, more difficult and time consuming removing water spots. ProctectAll is not perfect, but it is the easiest solution that works for me.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am old school and CHEEEP. I use the CALIFORNIA
WATER BLADE, as I can reach all but about the
top 2ft of the MH. It does a good job on a flat
surface, and a MH is definately flat!!!!TENN.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #9

Thanks all for you responses. I do use Protect All when I am really ambitious. In fact, I plan on giving the whole thing a once over tomorrow. I'm sure I'll regret that decision too.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the Mr. Clean rig. I don't use their soap and, normally, the vehicles dry spot free.

If I wash a vehicle on a breezy day, some spotting will take place which I attribute to an accumulation of dust in the water drops prior to evaporation.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
A question to all you experts out there. I am not interested in spending half a fortune on some special machine. Is any one aware of anything I can add to the soapy water bucket to assist in reducing or eliminating spots when washing the motor home?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I am old fashioned, but I still use a chamois to dry. I wash and dry in stages, so not a lot of time for spotting. Front, Right Side, Left side, Rear. If I get too lazy to use chamois (which is often lately) I use an electric leaf blower on the higher portions to remove the water before spotting.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This works for me when I think the rig needs a real washing:

1. wash with Turtle Wax auto wash with wax. Got a great truck wash brush with extension handle from Flying J.
2. California blade on extension handle to remove most of the water from flat surfaces/windows.
3. Absorber fake chamois for final removal of spots from windows and places the Calif. blade can't reach.

If the rig is primarily dusty and I am in the mood, I use No Wet dry wash and wax. Works very well.

I use the Mr. Clean on my cars but it just isn't desiged for a large rig like a motorhome IMO. I tried adding Jet Dry to rinse water once with my car but didn't think that worked so well. I do plan to try the distilled water added to a pump sprayer. As I get older, I'm looking for easy .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #13

In 57 years of driving, I have never used soap of wash agent on any of my vehicles (they remove the wax, all of them to some extent). On the motor homes, I always, a side at a time, wet down, used the long handled brush to loosen dirt and then rinsed down. I used a large flat surface squeegee and chamois on the sides and a windshield squeegee on the front.

Two months ago I discovered how much water a microfiber bath towel holds, and now after rinsing I just place the towel on the squeegee and dry. I get the 27 foot rig done with a towel and about a half, and in short order. Much easier and quicker than the old way.

Gus Weber
Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #14

Xplorer,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MH = 1year old

Here is how we wash MH

1. Stop at RV Park

2. California Duster

3. Apply ProtectAll during our stay to windshield, rubber, everywhere. Always looks like showroom new. I do it in sections as the spirit moves me. CHEERS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that California Duster have an extension handle to reach the upper surfaces?