Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Squeaky Brakes

Just got back from a trip thru AZ, Ut and back thru Co. back to Missouri. Coming thru Co. high altitudes to Ks flat lands I my brakes stated squeaking. Is this something I should worry about and have it checked out?
Also, nothing to do with the brakes, but one of my motorized sun visors passenger side stopped working, Any suggestions? does the up & down switch go bad on these. I think it is the original unit (Fleetwood Excursion 2004)

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Your brakes should not be squeaking. Check for glazing on the rotors and lube calipers while checking. Hard braking in mountain driving can over heat the brake parts and the entire bearing hub assembly. While squeaking brakes are not necessarily a sign of imminent break failure it is the alarm for checking....If the brakes get hot enough the pads can actually melt on to the rotors which can result in brake seizure. If your wheel assembly is ever too hot to hold your hand on it...beware

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Brakes can become glazed, which will make them squeal. Freightliner has a procedure to remove the glaze.
RV Tech Library - Burnishing Squeeling Brakes
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
Just got back from a trip thru AZ, Ut and back thru Co. back to Missouri. Coming thru Co. high altitudes to Ks flat lands I my brakes stated squeaking. Is this something I should worry about and have it checked out?
Also, nothing to do with the brakes, but one of my motorized sun visors passenger side stopped working, Any suggestions? does the up & down switch go bad on these. I think it is the original unit (Fleetwood Excursion 2004)

Thanks
excurioun04,
Well Sir, you don't elaborate too much on your coach but, if it's what I think it is, a diesel unit, and, in the '04 era, then you most likely have AIR drum brakes, all the way around. You also don't say how much mileage you have on the coach. There's lots of things to be stated here. First, if it's a diesel unit which, if I'm not mistaken, most Excursions are diesel and if so, then you should have at least an exhaust brake, to assist in braking when needed. And that, will prolong brake the replacement of brakes, for a long, long time, based on your use of that e-brake.

But, if your Excursion is a gasser, then you more than likely have Hydraulic disc brakes, all the way around. Disc brake squeak is not normally common and, can be caused by glazing and or, in worst case scenario, a worn set of pads and, the wear indicator is hitting disc, and doing just exactly what it's supposed to do, and that's WARN you of worn brakes.

So, if you would, please be a tad bit more specific on your coach and then, we can maybe assist you in a possible remedy or, at the very least, calm your anxiousness about the squeaks on the brakes.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sir "Fire Up" you are correct! my coach (04 Excursion) is diesel with Air breaks and exhaust brakes, approximate mileage (39000). I usually flip the witch on exhaust brakes when going down slope or in city traffic.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
Sir "Fire Up" you are correct! my coach (04 Excursion) is diesel with Air breaks and exhaust brakes, approximate mileage (39000). I usually flip the witch on exhaust brakes when going down slope or in city traffic.
Hey, thanks for getting back to me on this. Ok, now that we've settled on that, we can go forward, so to speak. I too was concerned about squeaky brakes when mine started doing it way back a while ago. But, mine don't do it all the time. Primarily, it only happens when I use them, while assisting the exhaust brake, going down steep winding roads.

Yep, they get a bit hot due to that's a serious amount of weight and, on curves the exhaust brake is good but, not that good so, some assistance is needed from the service brakes. So, when I had a chance, I removed the wheels and drums. I did an inspection of all four wheels. To say the least, at approximately 50,000 miles, I still had close to 1" thick of lining, on every shoe. Yep, there was some glazing but, not all that bad.

I put on a face mask and went to work on roughing them up just a tad. I did it with some 150 sand paper. Now, don't get me wrong here, I did not sand them down. All that was done was "de-glaze" the surface, PERIOD! That definitely stopped the squeeling but, for only a few thousand miles. It will still do it, on occasion, based on how hard I need them, in certain circumstances, on certain occasions.

As for general use, and no grades etc. they're quiet as can be. But, using that exhaust brake is a real help in terms of prolonging the brake jobs and, assisting the service brakes on many conditions. Now, based on your report of mileage, I'd just about bet my new home that, your brakes are as good or better than mine, in terms of condition and thickness. Those things just don't wear that fast. The glazing, is what causes the very high frequency vibration which, is conveyed as a "squeal or, squeak".

It primarily depends on how "able bodied" you are or, how much you want to spend on, an inspection. It's not easy to get that big beast up so you can break all 10, 450 lb. torqued, lug nuts loose. Then, you have man-handle those wheels/tires out of the way and finally, get the drum off for a good, clear inspection of all components.

Yes, you can do a basic inspection by using small mirrors and, flash lights and laying under there. It's what we did on an every morning basis, on the fire department for over 30 years. Obviously, we caught quite a few issues, way ahead of time by doing that kind/style of inspection. Most of our fleet was disc braked anyways. But, you can still get a pretty good idea of the condition of your components, by doing that simple inspection.

Don't get all excited if you see small cracks in the drums or, even on the surface of the shoes. (actually you won't be able to see the surface of the shoes due to their close proximity to the drums) but, you may, see some small cracks on the sides of the shoes.

To me, it's kind of fun to get in there and look around. But, I've got just a bit of experience in all of that stuff and, do have a few tons of tools etc. for that kind of work. And of course, it does help to have an area for that kind of work. But, do get under there, make sure it's safe if you've raised it some for clearance for you, and check things out for yourself. You'll appreciate what you learn. If you see something you're not sure of, do PM me and if I can help, I'd be glad to.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes