Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Star RV warranty problems

I starting having a problem with the AC (engine, not house) on my 2005 Winnebago. I took it to a local workhorse authorized repair facility local to where I live - real nice folks. Anyway, they called STAR RV (Interstate National Dealer Services) about the repair beofre starting any work. They submitted an estimate of $1,660 - needs a new AC compressor, dryer, freon, and oil. The warranty company will only pay $870. They are refusing to pay for the dryer as they said it's not broken; they will only reimburse $550 of the $650 for the compressor; only $300 of the $400 for labor; and about half of the price of the freon. I AM LIVID!!

The repair facility told me that if the new AC compressor is installed without changing the dryer, it will not be covered by warranty as the old compressor could have sent shrapnel into it when it went south and there is no way to flush it out.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Monday morning I plan on calling STAR again and asking for a manager to plead my case to. Anyone have any other ideas?

By the way, I now know why some folks HATE warranty companies and think they are a rip-off - I just joined that club!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
So your only question to the Warranty company is will they be warranting the system since the repair facility will not warranty it without the new dryer. As long as it works and someone is warranting it you should not need to worry. As to the money issues it looks like standard deductibles. That's why I would never buy one. Then again if you didn't have the warranty you would be out the full amount.

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No - I have a $100 deductible. The difference in what they are paying is that they "only pay the national average" for items. They are telling me the average for a new AC compressor is $550.

Again, I feel like I'm getting ripped off. As far as the warranty, mine expires in November, so I'm certain they won't honor anything after that.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This can be a problem. Sometimes the insurer determines a dollar amount arbitrarily and there is no effective way to contest their payout amount without taking them to small claims court. I think a judge would agree that reimbursement should be for reasonable and customary charges in the region where the problem occurred, but it's such a struggle that the companies get away with it. I've had them deny shipping charges on the grounds that the repair shop should have had the part in stock, even though the part was one of dozens of different versions of the same thing and seemed obvious to me that no dealer would or could stock every possible part number.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Politely ask them for the name and address of where you can purchase it for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's truck View Post
No - I have a $100 deductible. The difference in what they are paying is that they "only pay the national average" for items. They are telling me the average for a new AC compressor is $550.

Again, I feel like I'm getting ripped off. As far as the warranty, mine expires in November, so I'm certain they won't honor anything after that.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #6

Or suggest that the part cannot be purchased locally for the price quoted and ask them to procure the part and ship it to you as they are able to get it for a lower cost. Be careful not to back them into a corner, it will result in a denial 'just because they are right' and your only way out will be through the courts. Let them save face and they just might. It is a negotiation unfortunatly and they already have your money and know its small enough to never go to court.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #7

You can get estimates from more than one location/dealer/repair shop. Just a thought, maybe the pricing is too high? Maybe not. Any repairs I have had done here in NY were no problem and I have the Diamond coverage level, $100 ded.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bigger issue is getting them to agree to pay for the dryer. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my AC compressor replaced under Workhorse warranty this summer. The shop checked and said no metal went thru the system so no dryer was required. Is the repair facility replacing the dryer on "spec", or do they know metal went thru the system?

I had repairs done under my Star warranty last year and the shop "ate" the charges not covered by warranty and my deductible. I don't know is this is normal, or if they did it because I bought the MH and warranty from them.

http://travelinthomas.blogspot.com/
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any time you open up a system, it is good idea to replace the drier. The warranty company will weasel word everything they can and pay for as little as possible....they are going to live by the black and white word of the contract.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #11

Repairing AC info page:

Auto Air Conditioning - Replacing your auto A/C compressor
Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #12

Thanks Woodydel, that was a very helpful link, either for DIY or just to be informed when having a shop do the work.