Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Starting Fridge Night Before

I understand that many start their fridge the night before a trip.

I am going to try this instead of the day of departure.

Does the motorhome have to be level in order to run the fridge as described?

Thanks
Ed
smokey5209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Starting the fridge the day before will result in it being a decent temp to preserve the food you put in it.
Quote:
Does the motorhome have to be level in order to run the fridge as described?
It is a VERY good idea to have it reaso0nably level ...you certainly don't want it noticeably out of level as that can cause damage to the cooling unit.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We've always plugged in and started the fridge the day before then loaded it up that evening.
We're never far enough off level to consider it a concern.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Manual it needs to be within 3 degrees of level. We always start ours the night before to get the fridge cool. Propane seems to work faster to get cool than electricity, our friends say the same thing.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Load up the fridge with cold food also.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always start the Fridge the night before and make sure the coach is as level as possible.
The food goes from our inside Fridge right to the Coach's

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I keep my MH plugged up at home inside the shop(50 amp receptacle) with only frige on all the time. Appliance tech said would be better on frige to run rather than stopping and starting all the time. Anyone else keep theirs on?
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #8

When we still had our house and rv plugged in we left our fridge on all the time also. It was a good place for sodas when I was working outside.
kc5tdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
I keep my MH plugged up at home inside the shop(50 amp receptacle) with only frige on all the time. Appliance tech said would be better on frige to run rather than stopping and starting all the time. Anyone else keep theirs on?

Ours is on all season . . . RV sits in the driveway (plugged in), vacuum packed meats in the freezer, condiments in the fridge . . . ready to GO!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Just started doing this myself three trips ago. Works like a charm. Only last time I didn't check it after starting with propane and it didn't stay on. When back to check four hours later, restarted and worked fine. User error!!!!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #11

Fridge hasn't been turned off since we bought the MH and I don't anticipate it will be any time soon (we travel about 50% of the time).
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I start mine up when I get it out of storage, sometimes just hours before a trip.
I have a "habit" so I just load in a large bucket of ice when I start the fridge, to give it a kick start, and by the time I get there, everything is cold.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto on using "Ice" to jump start it.

I turn her "ON" for one full day before departure. Place a stainless steel bowl of ice in the fridge and another in the freezer compartment. AN internal fan will move the cold air around. Do not place any food items inside at startup.

Be sure the 12 volt disconnect is not engaged. You need both 110 volt and 12 volt for the fridge to operate.

Doesn't have to be perfectly level. If you can walk comfortable and the motorhome doors are not binding...it's good enough for the fridge to operate.
If too steep, use the levelers and/or wheel ramps to lessen the severity of slope.

Equally important at stock-time: Leave room for internal air to circulate vertically within the fridge compartment. Do not overstock the topmost shelf. Place items vertically if possible on the top shelf. Everything must be chilled already before going into the RV fridge. Keep large dimensioned items on the outside edges of the shelves. This will keep the weight off the shelf midportion and let air to circulate properly.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I start ours the day before as well. I put one of those large plastic ice packs that you throw in a cooler in the freezer and two smaller packs in the fridge. Sure speeds up the process. I then swap the freezer packs for items directly from the fridge and freezer the next morning. If we aren't going for long and the freezer has room I leave the freezer pack in to act as a cold sink.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote