Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #1

Starting Problem

I have a 99 Coachmen Mirada, 34' with a Ford V10. I turn on the ignition switch and nothing. No dash lights, the headlights will not even come on. I press the "boost" button and the dash lights cone on, headlights come on, engine will start right up. Both batteries are new and have full charge. Something is preventing the engine battery from sending power to the ignition. I figure it's a fuse or relay but I don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell
Darrellh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #2

sounds like battery connections, dirty or bad battery ground
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some Mirada's had a battery disconnect solenoid for the coach and chassis batteries (mine doesn't). If you have a disconnect solenoid, check it to make sure its switching correctly.

Other than that, sounds like you have a bad chassis battery or bad chassis battery connection.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

I gotta believe it is the chasis battery disconnect switch or selonoid. Here is another thread from here that has info.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1999...ch-270413.html
Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #5

Starting Problem

Thanks for the advise and the link. That sounds like it might be the solonoid. The mh belongs to my father, I've just been trying to help him get it going. He has thought for some time that there was a problem with the switch that controls those soloniods. I'm gonna move the wires to the same side as suggested in the other post and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again,
Darrell
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Instead of guessing about the fix to the problem, it may be time to take it to a real repair shop and get it fixed right.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #7

Prospector, real men (and women), like to roll up their sleeve's and work on their own stuff. That is the only way to learn about what you have and how it works. With the help of knowledgeable online friends, many costly repairs turn out to be simple and easy fixes.

You show up at the repair shop with no knowledge of what you have or what the problem is, the next thing you know you have been talked into changing the blinker fluid.

My father, the.owner of the coachmen, is a retired auto mechanic. He still likes to work on his own when he can, but at 81, needs my help. Not to mention that our regulag TV mechanic was so backed up that is.was going to be September before he could get to it. Surly we can get it going by then!