Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Two answers:
First, if the generator fails to start.. ASK IT WHY (the procedure is in the owner's manual) most modern RV generators have On Board Diagnostics (OBD) It is kind of an OBD-1 system (not as advanced as the OBD-II on your car or motor home) but this means you do not need special tools... Just the STOP button. a note book, your eyes, a pencil and a code book. (The owner's manual is the code book).

Second: The generator usually starts on the house batteries (Many exceptions though) so if the house batteries are LOW you will not get it to start normally.

Suggestion if it happens again... Try the EMERGENCY START (may be called AUX start or BOOST) this will parallel the chassis battery with the house batteries.

The Aux/Emergency/Boost start switch is a built in jump starter,, Generally works both ways. Done it more times than I care to admit.
Yes, No Sorta. The trouble codes identify a possible area to investigate. They don't even come close to pin pointing the exact cause. To top it off a single code can have 10 or more root causes, require the access to service bulletins, and specialized diagnostic tools.

Here's an example: Overcrank - Fault Code 4
Possible Cause: Faulty Switch, Faulty external start command, Fuel supply, Air fuel mixture, Exhaust system, Wire connections, Starter, Ignition system.

The diagnostic procedure for this problem goes on for up to 25 steps with several sub steps included. Several of the steps refer to service bulletins available only to authorized dealers and service personnel.

The final instruction for this code reads: Dealers contact distributors for technical support. Distributors contact the factory for technical support.

I purchased both the parts and repair manuals for the 5500 watt HGJAB generator I our 2001 motorhome against the advice of the parts department of our selling dealer. They had warned me it was cryptic at best, and many of the diagnostic procedures required specialized tooling.

I decided with my background and experience it was worth the chance to see if they could be of assistance. I quickly found the dealers warning to be accurate. Many of the procedures are intentionally vague and require tools only available through the dealer/service network. There are no alternative diagnostic procedures for those who do not have access to the tools, and no identification of the specific circuits being tested, just a reference to the messages the tool will display, and the components that need to be replaced or repaired.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You woke up, Noticed house batteries were low.. Tried to start Generator and failed.

Drove a bit,, thus putting some additional charge into the house batteries via the main engine alternator and the isolator relay, and the generator fired right up.

Does this suggest anything? like batteries were too low to start the genny and you fixed it?

HINT.. Emergency Start, or Aux Start, or BOOST, (If that is how it is labeled) So long as there is energy in the house,, they work both ways. I've used it to start the generator off the chassis battery many times. HOLD till the transfer switch does it's thing by the way.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Did they have that back in 82? Pushing the start button to prime the gennie?
I never heard of that either.
Tim
I'm not sure what year this feature started. It's called priming the carb, but by pushing and holding the start button in the off position you're actually powering the fuel pump to fill the carburetor bowl.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'm not sure what year this feature started. It's called priming the carb, but by pushing and holding the start button in the off position you're actually powering the fuel pump to fill the carburetor bowl.

I think you mean pushing the the "stop" button, not the "start" button.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I think you mean pushing the the "stop" button, not the "start" button.
Both of the generators we've had have a single button for the start and stop on the dash. It' a momentary switch with a center off position. When the top of the switch is pushed it engages the starter. When the bottom of the switch is pushed it stops the generator if it's running, or powers the fuel pump if the generator isn't running.

There are probably other switch configurations including separate on and off switches. Both of our motorhomes have been Winnebago products.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Both of the generators we've had have a single button for the start and stop on the dash. It' a momentary switch with a center off position. When the top of the switch is pushed it engages the starter. When the bottom of the switch is pushed it stops the generator if it's running, or powers the fuel pump if the generator isn't running.

There are probably other switch configurations including separate on and off switches. Both of our motorhomes have been Winnebago products.

My Onan has a similar setup. You hold the switch in the "stop" position to prime the carb.

I was merely trying to clear up confusion over "holding the start button in the off position".

It's a statement like "go ahead and back up".
Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #21

FWIW I will disagree slightly with wa8yxm. If the house batteries are too low to start the generator I start the main engine *then* use the boost switch to start the genset. Often I do not need it if I give the engine alternator a few minutes to top up the house battery. That way I do not run down the chassis battery trying and failing to start the generator if there is another problem thus ending up in a worse mess. ;-) Then I run the house genset a couple of hours to bulk charge both batteries back up to a reasonable level.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Suggestion if it happens again... Try the EMERGENCY START (may be called AUX start or BOOST) this will parallel the chassis battery with the house batteries.

The Aux/Emergency/Boost start switch is a built in jump starter,, Generally works both ways. Done it more times than I care to admit.
Unless, like in my unit, the AUX Start button is on the dash and the generator start is in the control panel in the kitchen.

My arms aren't that long.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #23

On my Genny 7.5 QDG holding the start button in the off side runs the glow plugs to help preheat the penny but that being a diesel genny.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Unless, like in my unit, the AUX Start button is on the dash and the generator start is in the control panel in the kitchen.

My arms aren't that long.

That's what Laurie is for!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #25

Starting the generator

I agree with post 16. Been there done that. Batteries just too weak to spin generator fast enough to start.

Russell
Old 03-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I went out yesterday and forgot to try the Push the stop side of the switch too see if it did anything.
So If mine has this Feature I won't have to pump the gas pedal twice before turning key, just hold down the stop side of the switch and turn the Key?
Thanks,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I went out yesterday and forgot to try the Push the stop side of the switch too see if it did anything.
So If mine has this Feature I won't have to pump the gas pedal twice before turning key, just hold down the stop side of the switch and turn the Key?
Thanks,
Tim

Tim, am I misunderstanding you, or are you confusing starting the genny with starting the MH engine?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator