Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

Unhappy Static electric shock

I am wondering if anyone out there has the problem with static electric shock. In dry climates, after walking across the carpet in a RV,a very uncomfortable shock occurs when touching a metal surface in the RV such as a faucet or even touching the RV door. Is this a problem for anyone? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #2

If you spray a light mist of water on the carpet it will usually stop the static charge from building up.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
I am wondering if anyone out there has the problem with static electric shock. In dry climates, after walking across the carpet in a RV,a very uncomfortable shock occurs when touching a metal surface in the RV such as a faucet or even touching the RV door. Is this a problem for anyone? If so, do you have any suggestions?
After 48 years in Arizona I am familiar with the phenomenon. The charge is created when you have friction from your shoes on the carpet. One way, I suppose is to not wear shoes. That is normally the first thing I do; take off my shoes. I don't know of a thing that will stop it (Scotchguard?, perhaps). You learn to live with it.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Or soft rubber soled shoes?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure rubber shoes will help.. I assisted my physics instructor one day by voulenteering for an "Experment" (I knew what would happen, only student in the class that did, but there in lies a long story.. I knew because I'd read a book (Entainerment type, not study type) years earlier, and it described the experiment)

A Van-DeGaff generator

It consists of a rubber band and a couple of non-rubber parts

I stood on the platform (insulator) put my hand on the dome, Teacher flipped the switch, and a million or so volts later my hair is sticking straight out like the classic B-Movie mad scientist.. One student, a heckeler, says "So what do you do now" and I did something totally out of character for me.. I delivered the perfect come back "I come up there and shake hands with you" (For some reason, there was a sudden shift in the position of other students in the room. AWAY FROM HIM, very effective) Then silently to the teacher I had to mention that I had no intention of doing that).

So rubber shoes, like the rubber band in the physics lab, Might just not be the best choice

A carpet "Shampoo" with dishwashing liquid.. Might help. (Or might be dangerous.. Dont' know, never tried it)

But moisture is, indeed, the best bet

If it's really bad you can get special carpet, has carbon fibers, it is conductive, and will "Short you out" static wise, It's called "Computer floor" We used it in my office at one time.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I USED TO live in Phx, and getting shocked became a way of life. The best defense I found was to touch a grounded surface with my knuckle first rather than my finger. The shock was a lot less that way - almost zero shock actually.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I was about 8, my local college (Morningside College) put on a science fair. They had displays covering physics, chemistry, biology (including a fetus in a jar, yuchhh), electronics, mechanics, etc. The Van De Graff display is what convinced me to go into science. Another display showed that falling objects from the same height hit the ground at the same time (Air friction aside). They had a gun of some sort and when it fired it would knock a domino off a table. The bullet hit the tin plate on the ground almost exactly at the same time. Good old Mr. Gabity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I'm not sure rubber shoes will help.. I assisted my physics instructor one day by voulenteering for an "Experment" (I knew what would happen, only student in the class that did, but there in lies a long story.. I knew because I'd read a book (Entainerment type, not study type) years earlier, and it described the experiment)

A Van-DeGaff generator

It consists of a rubber band and a couple of non-rubber parts

I stood on the platform (insulator) put my hand on the dome, Teacher flipped the switch, and a million or so volts later my hair is sticking straight out like the classic B-Movie mad scientist.. One student, a heckeler, says "So what do you do now" and I did something totally out of character for me.. I delivered the perfect come back "I come up there and shake hands with you" (For some reason, there was a sudden shift in the position of other students in the room. AWAY FROM HIM, very effective) Then silently to the teacher I had to mention that I had no intention of doing that).

So rubber shoes, like the rubber band in the physics lab, Might just not be the best choice

A carpet "Shampoo" with dishwashing liquid.. Might help. (Or might be dangerous.. Dont' know, never tried it)

But moisture is, indeed, the best bet

If it's really bad you can get special carpet, has carbon fibers, it is conductive, and will "Short you out" static wise, It's called "Computer floor" We used it in my office at one time.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #8

I have never had that problem and we use a dehumidifier when the MH is not in use, since we live in FL.
I also keep a humidity gage in the MH so I don't take the level of moisture down too far.
Do you know what level of humidity you have in the MH, when you get shocked?
I would think using a small humidifier would solve the shocking problem.

Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is one thing I do.. Some years ago I got a very handy, if somewhat large, box. .This sucker holds around five gallons of Water and can put most of it into the air ofer 24 hours (Cooling the bedroom a good 10 degrees in hot-dry Arizona type weather)

It can also pump out up to 2,000 watts of heat

In AZ I may also use a cool-mist vaporizer as well to toss another gallon or two into the air (IT literally throws it)

And I still have to use nasel spray
Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I replaced my carpet with laminate flooring. Problem gone.

Dick
Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamblen View Post
If you spray a light mist of water on the carpet it will usually stop the static charge from building up.
Thanks, I'll try it. How often do you have to spray the water on the carpet?

Nonnie
Old 09-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Or soft rubber soled shoes?
It's actually worse when I wear my running shoes as compared with leather soled shoes.

Nonnis
Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That is one thing I do.. Some years ago I got a very handy, if somewhat large, box. .This sucker holds around five gallons of Water and can put most of it into the air ofer 24 hours (Cooling the bedroom a good 10 degrees in hot-dry Arizona type weather)

It can also pump out up to 2,000 watts of heat

In AZ I may also use a cool-mist vaporizer as well to toss another gallon or two into the air (IT literally throws it)

And I still have to use nasel spray
Thanks for the input. Since I am in the mountains where it is already very cool, an air cooler probably isn't a good choice for me. Maybe I will just need to live with it.

Nonnie
Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #14

I too am curious to a solution. This has been a problem for me tha past years in cars & trucks as well as the MH.

Tags
dry climate, static electric shock, static electricity