Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

steep angle entrance!!!

Wow, I swear it looks like almost 45 degrees!!! Not that bad probably, but still scary looking. 36 ft overall, but 12 ft from rear wheels (4), with only 20 inch clearance. If I get a pretty close estimation of slant, is there some sort of math formula to figure this out? (like pie are squared stuff) LOL Otherwise, I would like to know of other options, and or, possible ways to get this thing "up the hill".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You may try (if possible) to approach at an steep angle and get one side going up before the down side gets to bottom. There is a site like that, and a couple of BC Ferries I have to get the motorhome to do the Watusi to get on or off, or, up or down from. BTW I've hear pie are round.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
twobergs20,
Don't forget to compensate for the "sag" due to full freshwater, holding, LPG, and fuel tanks... could be close to a ton there and could make several inches of chassis drop.

Also, some chassis are not very accomodating to the "twist" and "squaw" taking the incline at an exrtreme angle may generate... depending upon how extreme it is.

Assuming that you can't re-engineer the grade... Is there any way to temporarily "fill" the swale with 2X4's each time you traverse the driveway? Place the boards lengthwise to the run of the ditch loosely just to drive across, then remove them before the rain comes. That would be a pain, but better than to risk bottoming out and freewheeling the drive wheels.
Where there's a will...
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

Pie "is" round!

Upon further review..., front door is closed, but possible, "back door action". LOL But, -- these guys are brick and mortar!!! Only need 40 ft of their yard to get to mine. I need to bring "cookies" and have a chat with my prospective neighbors. Any other tidbits of wisdom on this??? Driveway can be "manipulated" to allow access, but more work for me
Old 09-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobergs20 View Post
I would like to know of other options, and or, possible ways to get this thing "up the hill".
Are you a RDP or Gas?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #6

what I am driving

I have a 1990 Georgie Boy Encounter. It is gas, and is a Ford powered chassis. Not sure I understand about "filling in the swale" with 2 by 4's?? How does that work? Also the entrance is pretty narrow so "cutting accross and up", is not an option. WOW, I really thought these things were supposed to be "fun and freedom", but all I did was open a can of worms.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

"Filling in" means simply filling the lowest point with something to effectively form a bridge across the deep part. That turns the one sharp angle into two flatter angles separated by a flat section (the fill). In other words, the rear wheels never drop into the deepest part.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #9

Thanks Rick!!

Great diagram!! Exactly what I was looking for. Pretty sure angle is steeper than that, but with the board trick I might make it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #10

I have same issue with my driveway. It goes up 30 ft in a length of 125 ft. The big issue is the approach from the street. I have to take it at a sideways angle of about 45 deg to keep the rear from dragging. Once the rear wheels are off the street and on the driveway then I can straighten the MH out and go straight on up. I plan on adding more width to the bottom driveway apron. I had been going up partially on the lawn until yesterday. It rained and I lost traction on the grass. Took me about 10 tries to finally get it.
By the way always have the wife outside with walky talky to tell me how close things are. That helps a bunch.
The MH is a Fleetwood Discovery 39 Ft DP

Jack
Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobergs20 View Post
Great diagram!! Exactly what I was looking for. Pretty sure angle is steeper than that, but with the board trick I might make it.
twobergs20,
Just to be sure you understand about the boards...

I am not talking about placing the boards up and down the driveway as a bridge across the acute angle between the roadbed and your driveway footing... the boards would simply buckle under the weight of your rig... or even your smallest automobile for that matter.

What I suggested is to place a dozen or so "sticks" of 2 X 4s loosely ACROSS the driveway and parallel to the roadbed in the lowest part of the acute angle... (the swale).

As Ernie stated, this will "flatten" the dip out and create two smaller angles up the driveway instead of one. They do not need to be fastened down to anything or to each other... If you approach them slowly, your tires will simply climb the first 2 X 4 and each successive one in small steps.

You may need to purchase boards of 12 foot or even 16 foot length to make sure your tires track across the boards without getting too close to the ends. Depending upon your angle of attack from the road, I doubt if the standard 8 foot length would be suitable, even if you could approach it straight on... not much room for forgiveness with that narrow a target.
Best of luck to you,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a similar problem on the drive entering our shop. Our Georgie Boy Pursuit has 2 Firestone air bags on the rear springs. I pull over a mile or so from the shop and put 100 psi in bags We normally run at 40 psi. This raises the rear of the coach 6" to 7" depending on how heavy I am loaded. That solved the problem on ours.
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
You don't mention what the difference in elevation is but if the front wheels raise 3 ft 4 inches above the back wheels before the back wheels start to ascend the grade you will drag the back end.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshidemantle View Post
By the way always have the wife outside with walky talky to tell me how close things are. That helps a bunch.
Jack
I tried that, but with all her yelling and screaming I found it easier to do by myself.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote