Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RickO:
My dealer is pushing me toward Safe-T-Steer for that reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I concur with your dealer's assessment and recommendation. The Safe-T-Plus would be my first choice on a 40 foot RDP coach such as yours.

Prior to installing the STP please rule all all other possibilities including the front end alignment, air pressures and coach loading.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard, I have to disagree on the Safety-plus...From an engineering point of view, the Steer Safe will do more to keep the steering pointed ahead. The Safety plus is nothing more than a damped centering spring.

But do weigh the coach, adjust tire pressures accordingly and adjust loading if over loaded on the front or rear. Then with the coach loaded for travel, get the alignment done at a truck suspension shop.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the rapid replies! I have weighed both axels (although I still haven't been able to get a four coner weigh) ensured that tire pressure is correct per mfg web site, and then had the coach aligned while loaded in travel mode. I still get more road wander than I'm comfortable with. As with most topics, I see we have multiple schools of thought but I was specifically looking for anyone who had seen the rusty spring noise problem and it seems not to be a big problem.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #18

I doubt that this is really a problem with Steer Safe, although possibly they might rust if you drive over a lot of salt in the winter?I also believe they are a better solution than a centering steering damper-mine helped greatly.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #19

Ricko

I bet if you call Steer Safe, they will ship you new springs or whatever you need for free. Nice folks to deal with. s/Toby
Old 08-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had the coach with the Steer Safe, I'd hose them off good and spray them with a good silicon spray a couple times a year. Never really had any problems with them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone who's used Steer Safe for any period of time had a problem with the springs rusting and then making a lot of noise? My dealer is pushing me toward Safe-T-Steer for that reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did hear some spring noise upon turning a few times but now when I lube the chassis I spray some Liquid wrench dry lube on the springs as well as the chassis leaf springs. No noise and no rust after 3 years. They work as advertised for wind and semi passing sway.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
I have Steer Safe on my 2000 Pace Arrow Vision - Ford chassis - since it was new and have had no problem with rust. Springs would be easy to change if this were to become a problem. Steer Safe has certainly made my driving more pleasurable and safe.

Myron
2000 Pace Arrow Vision - 36D
Myronlg is offline   Reply With Quote