Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Had the steer safe system installed on Wednesday, DH is happy with them but we are still all over the road with the slightest wind and if we go over 60 mph. Not sure what else we need so we are not white knuckling every trip. I was very happy with the new RV repair guy.
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post
Had the steer safe system installed on Wednesday, DH is happy with them but we are still all over the road with the slightest wind and if we go over 60 mph. Not sure what else we need so we are not white knuckling every trip. I was very happy with the new RV repair guy.
I don't seem to see this anywhere so forgive me if I missed it but...

Have you added a rear trac bar? I would think that the opening salvo to improve tracking would be a rear trac bar and then your front steer assist. After that, I would add a front trac bar (if your chassis can take one.)

If that doesn't solve the tracking problem, I'm not sure what else you can do with the chassis.

Now, if you are having excess sway (feeling like the rig is tipping which also can affect tracking a bit) then look into sway bars. In some cases you can replace current sway bar bushings that have worn out and make a big difference simply by doing that. You can also upgrade to heavier ones. Finally, some chassis will also accept front sway bars too.

BTW, I had my front end aligned a few weeks ago and the shop really didn't do a good job on the first round adjusting the steering asset I have. You will need to remember to have a good test drive after any front end work and let the folks at the shop now what you need them to do.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am wondering why the steer safe has to go past the callipers.. Normally (Perhaps your rig is different) the callipers are OUTSIDE the frame rails, the steer safe hooks to the tie-rod link and to the frame, iNo part of it should extend to or past the callipers.

Of course, some technicians... Well, let's just say some technicians should go back to selling shoes.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
beaudrya786, I think the service center has done you a service, they have given ample evidence that they don't deserve your business. The steer safe, the backup camera install all would tell me to get my RV away from there! Sometimes its hard to tell if they are competent or not but in this case I think they are SHOUTING to you to get your vehicle back and take it someplace else.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post
I'm fairly new to the RV thing, so forgive me if this is a "stupid" reply. Our first and current RV is a little 21' class C. Decided on a small one for ease of drive for DW. First thing we did was put new tires on it. First trip was a bit of a nightmare, horrible oversteer over 55 mph. Turned out the biggest problem was the tire dealer putting max pressure in the tires (80 psi). Got the pressure down to required (by tire/RV manufacturer and actual weight) which was 60 back, 65 front and the drive difference was amazing. One hand steering at 65 mph, safe drive at 75 on the very few occasions needed. Did put a steer safe on - all that much better in wind. Hope that helps??
Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Things that affect handling:

Tire pressure, The pressure written on the sticker inside MIGHT be right, under one set of conditions, but I'd say there is about a 1 percent chance.

Likewise the pressure mentioned on the tire. But a slightly higher percentage.

The only way to get it right is to have the thing weighed, 4-corners, and inflate per the tire company chartes, RV Safety & Education Foundation has a link to folks who will come to you with scales for the job. This is the EASIEST option, but not the only one or the cheapest.

Alignment: You need a truck quality shop.

Stablizer, Well, you know that did nto do it

Track bar.> These make a big difference

Sway bar... Not all coaches need these.

Sway is rocking side to side like the people holding up lighters or candles at rock concerts swaying from side to side.

If your chassis is either Ford or Workhorse, Barzil's rv and Redlands RV (if you are near either of them) sell the Ultra Power rear track bar.. Appears to be well built, quality product.

I have a Davis Track Bar on the front.. I'm told a rear bar would give better results but let me tell you I'm impressed by the one I have.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We have moved on from the RV super center and are now happy with miller mobile RV.. we ordered 6 new Hancock 12 ply tires and were supposed to have them installed today,however the MH stalled several times on our way, and we barely made it home. Never did this before, mechanic coming on Tuesday to install banks system and now to see why MH is stalling..it never ends
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
You will love your Banks system.
Try filling with water when traveling. I found little or no difference in gas milage but the unit handled better.