Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steering Control

We have recently purchased an '09 Canyon Star 3510 and it's our first Class A. After traveling cross country and experiencing side winds, road crown and passing trucks on interstate was wondering if Blue Ox truck center steering control would be beneficial to add to Rig. Someone told me it would eliminate steering control problems.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice??

Thanks,
MontanaNewmar "newbie"
MontanaNewma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We too experienced strong winds on our first cross country trip. I investigated both the Blue Ox System and the Safe T Plus steering control. We decided to go with the Safe T Plus system as it seemed simpler. With the Blue Ox you need to push a button and reset straight direction. I wanted something I didn't have to think about. It seems like a nice addition based on a brief local test drive in some 30 mph winds, but admittedly we haven't really challenged it.

We will be back on the highway next spring, and will be able to provide a better review, but I wanted to share our thought process. Good luck.
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #3

I would try a rear track bar if your coach doesn't have one installed, made a huge difference for wind and passing trucks and general lane keeping.

Want to do a steering stabilizer too but after the track bar it doesn't seem as necessary, maybe for blowout control.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaNewma View Post
We have recently purchased an '09 Canyon Star 3510 and it's our first Class A. After traveling cross country and experiencing side winds, road crown and passing trucks on interstate was wondering if Blue Ox truck center steering control would be beneficial to add to Rig. Someone told me it would eliminate steering control problems.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice??
I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my '06 Itasca Workhorse Chassis and it was one of the best additions I made to the coach. It helped lessen some of the road wander and especially helped with the tires "rut grabbing" when the pavement would change. You will definitely feel a little more effort to turn and the springs will return the wheels to centered position faster. There is a bit of an experimental curve getting the unit centered properly, but watch their video and have a little patience. I got mine set after about the third time. The Blue Ox is nice with the remote centering adjustment, but it is also over twice the price of the STP.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would in this order, have an alignment done(under $200),check here for threads on this. If still trouble a tack bar for the rear($500) again threads on this. And last the Safe-T-plus. Reasons are you need a good alignment to start, then if the rear is moving around on bumps there is no way the front fix will cure, and then the stabilizer in the font if needed.

LEN
Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

I spoke with someone at STPs HDQ in Atlanta and was told that after installing their product the coach would have to be aligned as it would alter the alignment. You might want to look into Steer-Safe. No alignment issues. It worked great for us on our previous gas rig.
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Call them back, talk to someone else. Safe-T-Plus will usually need to adjusted or "aligned" after installation,but it most definitely doesn't change the vehicles alignment!
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering