Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prior to going on my winter trip this year I purchased a steering wheel knob (aka Suicide Knob) and installed it to see how it would feel on long drives. Well I was impressed on the ease of control and comfort it provides. Needless to say it is an advantage when backing into sites. I purchased it in Lowes.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prior to going on my winter trip this year I purchased a steering wheel knob (aka Suicide Knob) and installed it to see how it would feel on long drives. Well I was impressed on the ease of control and comfort it provides. Needless to say it is an advantage when backing into sites. I purchased it in Lowes.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 03-31-2008, 02:39 AM   #3

I am surprised to hear they still make those things...and equally surprised to hear you found one at Lowes. Last one I saw was 40-50 years ago when a friend lost an arm in a horse jumping accident. He had a front box motorscooter with a steering wheel, so it came in handy for him. I haven't thought about him in years.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are still manufactured and are used on Garden Tractors, they are located in the mower/tractor parts area. The construction is very sturdy, with ball bearings and is much better than the ones made way back when.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #5

Not sure if you are aware that a Suicide Knob is illegal in most states, and highly dangerous. You don't see them anymore because powersteering has negated the need for them, and people have caused lots of accidents and personal injury with them. Oversteer at a high speed with a big vehicle can be a pretty scary thing.

Just a thought...

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Neckers' knobs - hadn't thought about them in years. Darned bucket seats, anyway....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes John (Moder2), I am fully aware of the legality of such a device attached to my steering wheel and the reasons that they were outlawed. I also investigated the way that the new type were clamped and I feel that the security of the device is safe. You are assuming that I am driving with one hand and doing whatever with my other, well, to alleviate your concerns I maintain both hands in a driving position except that my right hand is holding the knob. I felt safer driving with this technique than ever before. I personally feel that I have better control in an emergency situation with the knob than without. IMHO BTW If you consider high speed my 55 to 62 mph, then I am guilty....I would also like to state that more deaths and injuries occur from people doing things other than driving their cars and RVs, i.e. on the cell phone/CB, changing radio stations, eating, using the GPS,putting on makeup etc. etc. etc.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If I recall correctly, these knobs are illegal in Pennsylvania.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've heard that suicide knobs were "illegal" too, but I can't find anything to verify that.

Could be another urban legend.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
If I recall correctly, these knobs are illegal in Pennsylvania. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>and New York State too. Love the one on my Cub Cadet diesel! It's the only way I can get it to go straight.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #11

Just a side light on these --- they were also called "necker knobs" one hand on the wheel and the other around the "babe of your choice" that was ridding with you. That might explain the reason for all of the accidents --- not due to speed -- due to something else. Had to chuckle when I saw the subject.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David K:
Just a side light on these --- they were also called "necker knobs" one hand on the wheel and the other around the "babe of your choice" that was ridding with you. That might explain the reason for all of the accidents --- not due to speed -- due to something else. Had to chuckle when I saw the subject. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OSHA regs only allow for them on low speed vehicles that are not subject to steering wheel kickback, they must be contained inside the perifery of the wheel and must not protrude out towards the operator. Some insurance companies may deny coverage for injuries caused by the spinners of necker knobs also. I usually take them off as they are a pain when the hook and tear your shirt or coat sleeves
Old 04-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a handicapped friend that has a handicapped equipped van with a knob on the steering wheel. In PA it's legal if handicapped.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote