Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

Steering wheel

Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the upper bearing in their telescoping/
tilt steering wheel? Would you advise against doing it yourself or let a service
center do the repair and about what might be the cost to having it done?

nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I have done a few Gm mast shaft bearings. It's not an easy job, If your not familiar with the job I would pay to have it done. Do you know what column you have (GM, Ford, ect)?

Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckels11 View Post
Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the upper bearing in their telescoping/
tilt steering wheel? Would you advise against doing it yourself or let a service
nuckels11,
Just wondering, why you'd want to replace that bearing. Do you think it's worn out? Is it making noise? Is it loose and you can feel the shaft moving back and forth? I've had a few steering wheels off and the bearings too but, of course they were on things like Jeeps, pickups, a few cars etc. so, I'm not sure about a larger one. I suppose it could be just like many other aspects of the size ratio.

I did my rear hub seal on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT and, the makeup of the hub, bearings and seal was exactly like 3/4 ton pickups I've done in the past only, just a lot bigger. So, your steering wheel and it's innards, may be just like the smaller ones.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Scott,
Glad to see you're still keeping your hands in the repair business. The Civic wiring did great, Thanks.

TeJay
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I figured out how to get that cover off over the nut on the steering wheel. Theres a hole on the under side of the wheel plastic. The hole is apparent but the 3/8 inch allen wrench fastener inside isn't.The nut I was after was tight but I still have a looseness..the wheel itsself can be tilted/lifted up/down when you grasp the outer edges of the wheel..lifts about 1/4 inch up/down, so this is where I figure I need a new upper bearing. I
figure I'll take it to a shop to have the work done and see if we both have the
same diagnosus (sp). Thanks
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Hey Scott,
Glad to see you're still keeping your hands in the repair business. The Civic wiring did great, Thanks.

TeJay
Hey Tejay (Oh Great wood worker of the east)

How is ya? Hope all is well. Glad the wiring on the toad-Civic tail lights worked out as you thought. Hope you have a great new year.
Scott
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I figured out how to get that cover off over the nut on the steering wheel. Theres a hole on the under side of the wheel plastic. The hole is apparent but the 3/8 inch allen wrench fastener inside isn't.The nut I was after was tight but I still have a looseness..the wheel itsself can be tilted/lifted up/down when you grasp the outer edges of the wheel..lifts about 1/4 inch up/down, so this is where I figure I need a new upper bearing. I
figure I'll take it to a shop to have the work done and see if we both have the
same diagnosus (sp). Thanks
nuckels,
Thanks for posting what you've found so far and, your reasoning for what and how you think. It will be good to find out just what the problem is. Do let us know when you find out will you? Thanks.
Scott

Tags
steering