Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Step Broken

So before I leave on a trip this week I take my M/H to the tire shop to get what I thought was a slow leak in one of the tires fixed. They call a little later and tell me they didn't find any low. Ok I will just keep an eye on them and went to pick it up. As I drive up to it I notice the step wasn't retracted all the way. Then it didn't come out when I opened the door.

They were closed when I picked it up so I called the next day to ask if something happened to it, of course they said no so I "guess" it could have been vandalism but doubt it.

I did get it working but it still wouldn't retract all the way and it sounded like the gear was stripped. I took the motor of and didn't see any damage to either gear. I'm going to put a new motor on but even after searching on here I'm not sure which one I need. There is no more tag on the motor but I do know it's a series 40 Kwikee step. I also know that they changed suppliers in around 04 and that motor won't work. The local rv place doesn't stock the motors and wants to sell me the complete upgrade step for $600. I found on here that they are window and sometimes wiper motors but any part number for Dorman that I found was not stocked at our local suppliers.

I did order the one below from Amazon hoping it's right but if someone new for sure which one I need that would be great.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kwikee-1101428...l_64ul9t2hgj_e
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

I don't know what steps you have, I did bookmark the part because I also have 2004 quickee steps that are not broken. Not sure if this helps but I did find someone posted this in the reviews and it was a better fit. ACI 83094 Power Window Motor.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I don't know what steps you have, I did bookmark the part because I also have 2004 quickee steps that are not broken. Not sure if this helps but I did find someone posted this in the reviews and it was a better fit. ACI 83094 Power Window Motor.
It says it works in place of the 1101428 which I ordered. If the one I ordered works I will know where to get it cheaper next time. Thanks
Old 08-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Good luck. Hopefully I can remember I have these motors in my list when the time comes.

Oh and when I had my MH at the dealer the busted the slidey cover thing on my screen door. Of course they didn't do it...well we certainly didn't do it. Anyway ordered a new on amazon and then found out that super glue works pretty good on the plastic they are made out of. Well I have a new one if I get tired of looking at the old yellowed one. lol
Old 08-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post

There is no more tag on the motor but I do know it's a series 40 Kwikee step. I also know that they changed suppliers in around 04 and that motor won't work. The local rv place doesn't stock the motors and wants to sell me the complete upgrade step for $600. I found on here that they are window and sometimes wiper motors but any part number for Dorman that I found was not stocked at our local suppliers.

I did order the one below from Amazon hoping it's right but if someone new for sure which one I need that would be great.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kwikee-1101428...l_64ul9t2hgj_e
The motor part number for a Series 40 Kwikee Step is 1101428. So you are OK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Motor Step ID Guide and Replacement Parts.pdf (405.5 KB, 52 views)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You've probably already done it but thought I'd mention it for others....Lubricate all the pivot points everywhere on the steps about once a year.

I use spray on lithium grease.

Also on mine the power for the steps come from the engine battery and if it's not up to snuff you can have step problems.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone and I will be lubing it up when I put the new motor on Arch.
It is funny how things just happen to break while in the shop sometimes. I'm pretty sure this was the original motor so I did expect to replace it sooner or later, I just wish people would own up when it happens.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

In case anyone is doing a search on this in the future the 1101428 was the exact one for my series 40 like aauummm said.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

The number 1 cause of the gear stripping is someone stepping on the steps before they are all the way down and locked. There is a round nylon gear running on a metal worm gear and if you put any weight on the steps when this is moving it eats the teeth off the nylon gear.
airmail is offline   Reply With Quote