Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #1

Step not retracting when ignition starts & power mirrors not working.

Hi all,

I have had this issue for a while and my rv dealer has not been able to resolve the issue. They checked all the fuses they could find and tried a new step controller. The coach is a 2005 Damon daybreak, I called Thor and they do not have Electrical drawings for the coach as Damon did not transfer them.

Kwikee thinks it could be a ground issue. The rv dealer reckons I will have to go to a semi truck shop.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Was there ever a check for voltage at the steps/mirror with the ign on? If there is no voltage present the step controller or mirrors won't work properly. I would think any automotive electrical tech could find the issue pretty quickly.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Was there ever a check for voltage at the steps/mirror with the ign on? If there is no voltage present the step controller or mirrors won't work properly. I would think any automotive electrical tech could find the issue pretty quickly.
Not sure about the mirrors but they did say there was voltage at the step controller when the ignition is on. Good call on checking the mirrors.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure if you're aware, but even with the ignition on, the door must be closed for the step to retract.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
YC1

http://www.powergearus.com/diagnostic-videos

I cannot seem to find the diagnostic videos anymore but there is a lot of information on this site. If you come up with the videos let me know and I will save them.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Not sure if you're aware, but even with the ignition on, the door must be closed for the step to retract.
Hi 4x4,

It's the same with the door closed.

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
http://www.powergearus.com/diagnostic-videos

I cannot seem to find the diagnostic videos anymore but there is a lot of information on this site. If you come up with the videos let me know and I will save them.
Thanks YC1,

Will have a look at that.

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

There are probably magnetic switches in the door that complete the circuit so the door may be closed but a defective switch wouldn't send the signal to the controller
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
There are probably magnetic switches in the door that complete the circuit so the door may be closed but a defective switch wouldn't send the signal to the controller
Hi,

The step will retract when so close the door if the step over ride is off.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same issue with the mirrors, Finally rigged a protected alternate power line and now they work

As for the steps.. IF you turn the key from OFF to START, they often fail to retract.. Turn from OFF to ON,, pause, Start, and they retract

I can explain why but it is technical.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have the same issue with the mirrors, Finally rigged a protected alternate power line and now they work

As for the steps.. IF you turn the key from OFF to START, they often fail to retract.. Turn from OFF to ON,, pause, Start, and they retract

I can explain why but it is technical.
Hi,

Tried that with no luck.
Worth a shot though :-)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #12

Just to confirm, the step will extend and retract on house battery?
Buzzglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzglade View Post
Just to confirm, the step will extend and retract on house battery?
Hi,

They run off the chassis battery.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The trigger to the steps is an ignition switched 12VDC. The problem is I don't know the source the Damon production line used. Straight from the chassis wiring or thru a relay to maintain isolation of the chassis from the house. With my Hurricane the source is from the Battery Control Center (BCC) but I've found that the various Thor production lines do not seem to have standardized the house systems so no telling how or where the Damon production people choose to send the signal to the steps.

Pretty sure our two coaches do have Kwikee steps and if so check the yellow wire at the four pin connector at the step controller. With the engine key switch turned to run or on there should be 12VDC present. If present clean the ground connection, if not there are a couple of options.
1. Start checking ALL the chassis and house fuses. Kwikee recommends a 5-6 amps fuse that Damon would need to install which might help narrow the search parameters. My Hurricane the fuse is in the BCC.
2. Hand over hand tracing the wire back to where it originates to find where the trigger is being lost.
3. Rewire the circuit to a new source of switched 12VDC or add a manual switch off a convenient DC power source.
4. Try Thor again. They acquired Damon in 2003 and your coach is a 2005. A bit difficult to build one without diagrams. If they still claim nothing for your model year ask for the oldest they have. Might get lucky with a 2006. It might not be exact but electrical layout is usually pretty static across model years.

And for future reference for a Kwikee four pin step controller connector if you don't have it -

White wire - lock out switch (stay open)
Red wire - constant 12VDC (normally chassis power source)
Yellow Wire - Ignition switched 12VDC
Brown wire - door open trigger (door frame magnetic switch)
Green wire - ground
Purple wire (if not cut back) - optional step light switched power. Can be used to light exterior lights when the door opens.

Good luck.

Tags
ignition, power