Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #1

I have a 99 Winnebego Adventura with 50000 miles on it. My entry step is stuck in the up position. I have never had a problem with the step and was wondering if anyone knew any thing that could fix this issue. I have checked the fuses under the dash but they were all working fine. Is this an easy fix or a trip to the dealer?
Thanks,
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #2

I have a 99 Winnebego Adventura with 50000 miles on it. My entry step is stuck in the up position. I have never had a problem with the step and was wondering if anyone knew any thing that could fix this issue. I have checked the fuses under the dash but they were all working fine. Is this an easy fix or a trip to the dealer?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 09-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tryed this web site. http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html

Look under documents, they have info. for the older and newer Winnebago steps as well as the Kwikee brand.
Good Luck
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #4

Bob

If you have a small magnet, open the door and put it up against the contact on the door frame. Sometimes this little magnet gives out and your step will not operate. s/Toby
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #5

Richard....Thanks.. got it dnload..will set in AM...Bob <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard S.:
Have you tryed this web site. http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html

Look under documents, they have info. for the older and newer Winnebago steps as well as the Kwikee brand.
Good Luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #6

Toby...sounds good will try in AM ...thanks...Bob<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toby:
Bob

If you have a small magnet, open the door and put it up against the contact on the door frame. Sometimes this little magnet gives out and your step will not operate. s/Toby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #7

My step started sticking.I pulled on it to help it out.Then I lubricated all the pivot points and helped it in and out a few times till the lube worked itself in.Occasional maintenance lube keeps it working.
BOB
Old 09-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #8

I had a similar problem with mine a while back. It began working sproadically and unreliably. First make sure all the pivot points are well lubed with silicone. Check the grounds for good solid contact.

Those things helped mine work for a while, but it turned out it was a bad control unit. I had the control unit replaced when the steps finally stopped working completely. I also had the motor replaced at the same time as mine was old and getting worn.

Hope you fix turns out to be something simple.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #9

I had some what the same problem. The problem(s) I had was a couple of things that together would drive any tech nuts.

First, my magnetic switch went bad. I was able to replace it myself. But, it misleading, sometime after I replaced the switch it started to misbehave.

Looking at the diagram, and after talking to the factory techs, I got the following trouble shooting info.
1)The main plug, has four wires, which are as following:
a)RED - Constant 12vdc This comes from the fuse panel(s).
b)YELLOW - Switch 12vdc This comes from the inition switch.
c)BROWN - Magnetic door switch. Ohm meter will show either an open "1" (door open) or "0" for short, closed door.
d)BLUE - Entry door switch (engine off steps stay out or engine off steps goes out with door opens and back in when door shuts).

You must have two sources of 12vdc present at all times for the steps to work. The RED fuse panel plus either the inition switch or the door entry switch.

My problem with my steps going crazy, was, at the factory (Georgie Boy), they crimped the RED fuse panel wire at the insulation not the copper wire. So, with the wire not make full contact with the lug connector, it worked when the wire made contact. I found it by using a volt meter. It showed 11.34vdc, instead of 12vdc. I traced the RED back to the fuse panel. One side of the fuse was 12vdc, the other side was also 12vdc, but, the wire coming off of the lug was only 11.34vdc. After recrimping it, that problem was gone.

So, check your fuse panel first, it may be a breaker that has a very small reset button on one side. If yours has the breakers (mine is under the front hood), push on each and retry the steps. If you are getting all of the power and switching working correctly, then you may want to have a shop replace the controller and or the motor. Good Sams CSP covers the entry steps.

Another thing you can try, is to go under and loosen the four nuts that the steps are mounted on. Make sure the nuts are loose (3/8 wrench usually). With these nuts loose, open the door to see if the step try to move or not. If the steps are jamed, and everything else is working, this may be the only way to get them to come out. Once this hopefully works, then spray them so the silicone works in completely.

Please let us know what you find.

Good luck and be safe.

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You indicated that the fuses were good but did not indicate if the 12 volt was actually getting to the motor. Additionally. kwikee has a grease that they recomend that goes in as a thin oil and then foams into a grease for use on the lub points. The idea is that the thin liquid goes in and then pushes the grit out when it turns into a grease. The grease restricts enterance of grit to the joint.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
All of the above suggestions are good but I would like to ask thge obvious, did you check the step on off switch usually by the door. If that is off when you close the dor you accidentkly hit that switch to OFF the step will not come out when you open it.

Lubrication is also critical. I had a step once that stuck in the out position and I crawled underneath and gave the motor a tap with a hammer and it worked fine after that. I think armature got stuck in mid positon. but try switch first.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote