Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Steps

Well I had lazy days check my steps that were not working. He said the motor was bad. He gave the motor a few taps and it started working. They said I need to buy the whole kit (circuit board and motor) which is 400.00 plus 1.7 hrs of labor at 100.00 an hour. Does this sound right? Why do I need the whole kit? Can I just change out the motor? I did stop at camping world and bought some slide out lubricant and sprayed it generously around all moving parts. When I got home it didn't work again.
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #2

I had a problem with mine a few years ago. Ran into the same problem. Because Kwikee had updated the system, the motor was not sold seperately. I believe the motors are automotive window motors of some sort. Hopefully someone will come along soon that can advise on a possible solution.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

Do a search for step motor. There should be plenty of threads about them.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just searched on Ebay check it out to see if something matches
Kwikee | eBay
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
Well I had lazy days check my steps that were not working. He said the motor was bad. He gave the motor a few taps and it started working. They said I need to buy the whole kit (circuit board and motor) which is 400.00 plus 1.7 hrs of labor at 100.00 an hour. Does this sound right? Why do I need the whole kit? Can I just change out the motor? I did stop at camping world and bought some slide out lubricant and sprayed it generously around all moving parts. When I got home it didn't work again.
I would replace the whole step myself. Camping World has the Kwiki double for $482.95 and then every part will be 100% new. Replace the motor and contoller and depending on the age of the step you could have a pivot or actuator arm fail a few days later. With a full replacement everything will be new and rust free.

Caution they are heavy and awkward to handle. I use a wooden platform on a floor jack to hold them in place when I do it.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on the age and series of Your Kwikee Power steps, and Your Mechanical skills plus willingness to get Your Hands Dirty. Replacing the Motor and Gearbox is pretty easy.

The "Motor/ Gearbox" is a 12 Volt Window Lift from an older Ford Vehicle. Some GM and Chrysler Vehicles also use the same motor although the Gearbox may be somewhat different.

I found a whole shelf full of used units at a local Auto Wrecker for $20 each. All had been tested and worked properly. You can also buy a New unit from Napa or other Parts stores for about $60 .

Disconnect the battery before swapping out the Motor.

It Is best to use the Original Gearbox as Kwikee has modified the Mounting studs and may have beefed up the Gearset.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is some info and threads I have collected over the last few years that might be helpful. ******************************************8 The motor can be bought at AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352 (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping. Thought I would pass this along to anyone having to replace a motor and to show that it does pay to shop around. Thread about motor replacementhttp://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20310852.cfm These guys rebuild the older control board RV Electric Step Controls Rebuilding Service | RV Controls Replacment part kits can be found here RV Direct Online Store Window lift motors can be found here Window Lift Motors | DC Motors | AM Equipment | Manufacturer of Windshield Wiper Systems and Fractional Horsepower Motors | Wiper Motors, Window Lift Motors, Gearhead Motors | Fans and Motor Controls Here are some possible sources for inexpensive replacements I have saved from various threads over the years. " 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping. 2) www.rvdealership.com that sells a repair parts kit made specifically for these units - includes gears. 3) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003. 4) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens" The ID tag lists the following numbers: 59720-20 121899 5) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. " Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE ********************************************** New info in 2012 ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor (83094) | 1995 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl Enlarge Image Part Number: 83094 **************************** On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38 ********* Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #8

Dont need all of the kit, its b.s., if it quicki, the motor is available at auto zone for $60.00. It a Ford taurus drivers window motor, Easy to change !!
bplait0715_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I learned many years ago that the Corvette window motor in older cars had weak internal seals. After time, the shaft grease would crawl past the seal and into the commutator area. It then insulates the brushes from the commutator and plop - no motor. I fixed many of these by just holding the switch in the 'proper' position and buzzing down the road. At some point, the brushes would vibrate the grease away and the little gem kicked in. Sounds like the same thing is happening here.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #10

I bought a new `82 Vette and over 14 years, never had the window motor go bad.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote